Hair Loss 3 Months Post-Op

Hi all!

I've been snooping around here for some time and finally decided to post. I had an 800 graft HT on the 23rd of December. About 3 weeks after my procedure, I began to shed a significant amount of hair which I chalked up to be shock loss. BUT this shedding persists to date (almost 3 months later). Could this still be shock loss?

I notice a lot of hair on my hands in the shower and when I apply monoxodil. The hair seems to come from the recepient area...not from anywhere else. I've been using Propecia for 4 months and it seems to have made my hair thicker...aside from this darn shock loss!!!

So what does everyone think? Could this in fact be shock loss or did the procedure accelerate my hair loss? This is REALLY frustrating and I just need some sort of closure. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Hi all!

I've been snooping around here for some time and finally decided to post. I had an 800 graft HT on the 23rd of December. About 3 weeks after my procedure, I began to shed a significant amount of hair which I chalked up to be shock loss. BUT this shedding persists to date (almost 3 months later). Could this still be shock loss?

I notice a lot of hair on my hands in the shower and when I apply monoxodil. The hair seems to come from the recepient area...not from anywhere else. I've been using Propecia for 4 months and it seems to have made my hair thicker...aside from this darn shock loss!!!

So what does everyone think? Could this in fact be shock loss or did the procedure accelerate my hair loss? This is REALLY frustrating and I just need some sort of closure. Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Hi Some Dude,

Welcome to this forum! Did you have a diffused thinning pattern before your procedure? 800 grafts is not considered a big procedure however if you had a considerable amount of natural hair left in the recipient area, it is probably being shocked out.

You are nearing the three month mark post-op so by the end of this month things should start stabilizing regarding shock loss. Ideally, if you could have started Propecia at least six months before your procedure possibly the shock loss would not have been as dramatic. Now that's no guarantee beacause some folks shock more than others and as you have probably been reading, it's very unpredictable.

The good thing is that I believe the worst is over and you can focus more on the re-growth! icon_smile.gif By the way, what Norwood class are you? Best wishes to you.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks for your input, gillenator!

I'm not sure what you mean by "diffused" thinning pattern. I was/am a 3 Vertex on the Norwood. As for my hair prior to the procedure, I did and still do have quite a bit of hair. The fallout does seem to have lessened, but it's still there.

All I really wanted from my HT is to fix my hairlane. I was hoping that the Propecia will take care of my slightly thining crown...at least until hair multiplication becomes available. I'd post some pics, but I don't know how to attach images.

Thanks again for responding icon_smile.gif

It could be diffuse thinning or shock loss due to scalp trauma which usually comes back. Top docs like Shapiro and others, recommend using 5% rogain on the HT area 2 weeks after surgery, this might help stop the shedding combined with Propecia-- it is also said to "jump start" the new FU growth with your HT>

Smoothy -- I've been using 5% monoxodil for more than 6 yreas now icon_smile.gif It's funny how after I posted this thread I noticed that I'm shedding much less now...that's a good thing!

Forum Mod -- thanks for clearing that up icon_smile.gif I'm actually just thinning a bit at the hairline and crown. Hopefully this HT and Propecia will be all I need *fingers crossed*

some dude--sounds like you have a similar case as i do, i went to a doc for a consultation and im looking about 800 fu's on the hairline myself. I started taking propecia a month ago and have a second consultation in five months to check the condition of my hair after 6 months of propecia. My plan is to continue propecia and go with the transplant. My major concern is shockloss but hopefully with the new advances in hair surgery (ultra dense fue) the loss will be minimal. Anyways keep us posted on your situation and how things are working out. thanks good luck!

Originally posted by mr invisible:

some dude--sounds like you have a similar case as i do, i went to a doc for a consultation and im looking about 800 fu's on the hairline myself. I started taking propecia a month ago and have a second consultation in five months to check the condition of my hair after 6 months of propecia. My plan is to continue propecia and go with the transplant. My major concern is shockloss but hopefully with the new advances in hair surgery (ultra dense fue) the loss will be minimal. Anyways keep us posted on your situation and how things are working out. thanks good luck!

The major factor that was holding me back from getting a HT was shockloss. I truly believe (call it wishful thinking) that this shockloss will be reversed. After taking Propecia for a while, I've been noticing that my hair is thicker all around. To me this is an indication that this stuff is working...and I'm only on my 5th month. I'll definitely keep you posted icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Forum Moderator and Satisfied Patient:

I think what Smoothy meant was to utilize minoxidil in the recipient area. This can greatly decrease shock loss and may even speed growth to the grafts.

-Robert

Yeah, I've been applying it there too per my doctor's advice...and from reading several threads on here. Still, I experienced quite a bit of hair loss. Oh well, I'm convinced it'll grow back. If not, then come on hair multiplication icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like you took every precaution imaginable. Who knows how bad it could be if you didn't though?

Wish you the best of luck, somedude, and look forward to keeping up with your progress.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I sure did...I knew to do so from researching on this very forum.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, and I'll be sure to update yo all in a month or so icon_smile.gif

I had my work done at my local Bosley location (Houston) with Dr. Crashaw. He was really nice and explained all my options to me. He recommended that I get 400-900 grafts so I opted for 800. Again, I didn't have that much to cover...just the hairline.

Honestly, I still don't know how sure I am about what I did. I still have my doubts which will probably persist until I see full results in a few more months.

As for the scar, mine isn't bad AT ALL! Aside from the pinkish appearance, which should go away in due time, it's very thin and hidden in my dark, thick donor area. Put it this way, I really have to dig for it to find it.

I can't tell you what to do as it has to be your decision. I was seriously unsure and thought about picking up the phone and cancelling my appointment up until the day of my procedure. Immediately after, I was glad I did it. Today, I'm still waiting for some REAL results which will hopefully come about soon.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all,

So it's been a month since my last post and I'm still shedding hair. I wish I can confidently say that I'm shedding less but I'm not sure that I am.

I started assessing what might be causing this (if it's anything other than the natural progression of my hairloss). A month before my HT I started Propecia and a month after I switched to generic monoxidil. After my first post on here, I decided to switch back to Rogaine...so I've been back on it for a month. Still not much of a change. Could Propecia be causing this? Anyone else experience hairloss because of Propecia?

Propecia (and/or recently starting minoxidil) can very well be the culprit. Upon starting propecia, it speeds the hair follicles cycle into the telegen or "resting" phase. The hair inevitably falls out. This, coupled with normal shock loss from the hair transplant plus recently adding minoxidil (which, upon first starting can have similar effects as propecia) and its pretty amazing you have any hair left! icon_biggrin.gif

All jokes aside, though, it very well can be one of the three or a combination of them. Give the meds time to stabilize and get your follicles into a stable growth pattern. Also, give the shock loss a chance to stabilize. I know that it's gotta be a little scary looking in the mirror at what very well may be LESS hair than what you went in with, but it all sounds normal and everyone goes through something similar.

The GOOD news is, however, that when things DO stablize, they might do so al at around the same time. Thinking of that may make you smile a little. Imagine at around month 5 the finasteride starts kicking in with stopping loss, the minoxidil spurring growth of HT and naturally-growing hairs, the HT shock loss growing back, and the transplanted hairs beginning to sprout. That should be a happy month, huh?

Hang in there, somedude. We are all rooting for you and I know that I am not the only one interested in your case. While I do not really mean to blow a bunch of sunshine your way, I do think that what you are going through is normal and you should see a light at the end of your tunnel.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Robert -- if you were a woman and I were a woman, I'd totally kiss you...and the rest of you can watch icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif Seriously though, it's definitely nice to get this sort of reassurance. As you've predicted, your post did put a smile on my face. But realistically speaking only time will tell my fate in the hair department. Still, I will hope for the best and expect the worst.

Mr. Invisible -- I'm 26.

Some Dude,

Robert covered your shockloss and shedding concerns very well and I agree with his supposition of your situation. It is not unusual for men to experience increased shedding in the third to six month period following ingestion of finasteride which is undoubtedly cyclical behavior of your follicules. So I suppose that along with trauma from the procedure has produced a more than average amount of shedding and shockloss. As mentioned before, the new growth should be coming real soon.

Ultra refined dense packing is an approach utilizing the lateral slit technique of creating recipient sites so micro in size that some profound surgeons use improvised blades to create the sites. Because they are so minimally invasive, far more sites can be created to accomodate placement of more FUs within the same surface area (as much as 50 cm2). The primary objective is to gain much higher density levels in one pass compared to what was traditionally done in the past five years or so. Secondary effects are less trauma to the scalp, higher survival rates with a corresponding higher yield. Quicker healing, less post-op swelling, etc.

Please keep in mind that this is more prevalent in the hands of very skilled and experienced HT surgeons whereby many of them use customized blading and instrumentation. Their techs are very experienced and skilled at micro-dissection of grafts that identically pare to the recipient site. Take a look at the thread in the Medical & Aesthetics section titled "Examples of Ultra-Refined FU Grafting". This is a thread initiated by Pat and presents a class example of this method as performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro in Minneaplois. I believe this was a case just over 2500 FUs but note the post-op pics and it will blow your mind when you see the precise and close placement of the FUs, little to no swelling, minor if any noticable effects of scalp trauma, etc. Best wishes to you!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator -- thanks for that thorough and helpful explanation. With that said, I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for all your contributions...not only to this thread, but to the entire forum on a whole. It sucks that we have to deal with male pattern baldness, but it's nice to have the support of others in the same boat. So thanks to all icon_smile.gif

I'll post another update in another month or two. Hopefully things will look much brighter by then icon_smile.gif