In Middle of Transplant

This may be a stupid question and I may know the answer to it already but...

In the first quarter stage of graft planting, why would one tech/planter get up, walk away(and not come back then later be the one who cleaned me up)and another come in and take their spot?

And the other stay the entire time!

a.they were new and gettin a crack at the feel for it? Have to start sometime or another right?

b.simply just tired and needed to be relieved?

because thats what happened to me and i was a little concerned like "oh man maybe this was this guys first time" I hope everything grows properly where he was working. Im not looking to hear what'll make me feel good. Id like the blunt truth if anyone knows for sure or an answer is just as good as my guess?

In the first quarter stage of graft planting, why would one tech/planter get up, walk away(and not come back then later be the one who cleaned me up)and another come in and take their spot?

a.they were new and gettin a crack at the feel for it? Have to start sometime or another right?

because thats what happened to me and i was a little concerned like "oh man maybe this was this guys first time" I hope everything grows properly where he was working. Im not looking to hear what'll make me feel good. Id like the blunt truth if anyone knows for sure or an answer is just as good as my guess?

diamondlight,

I would not worry about it; as long as you went to a reputable clinic/doc, the techs are highly-skilled and the doctor will provide the guidance to make sure everything goes right; the doc monitors whats going on, and if there are issues he corrects the situation; that's why he get the big bucks; it is normal to question everything now because you are at the 1-3 month post-op period where nothing has "happened" yet.

Originally posted by diamondlight:

Some doctors stay at your side for the entire time. I've been to seperate doctors, one where it was like your experience, and another where the doctor was there the entire time, and that was much preferred and I wont settle for anything else and would suggest the same. To my knowledge the techs are more responsible for the graft sizes and micro prep while the doctor is solely in charge of placement.

I got my sutures out earlier today and feel great. Also hope you read my post on my experience with Dr.TRue. But back to him being able to answer all my questions? Well I brought the "topic starter" to his attention and for the record...His techs are very skilled (I never doubted that just little shaken up from previous ht). He backs them up with 100% confidence telling me they've had years of experience with him. I felt alot better hearing it come from him even though there was no doubt in my mind his staff along with himself were the best (I just couldnt of asked enough questions, thats all really).

dhoose- I was and I wasnt. If you remember I was coming off of a previous HT through Bosley and looking at my results thus far and reading one after another bashing them non stop, I was very aware of everything happening around me. I might of even seemed a little annoying asking so many questions.

wylie- you and only you know what you want and deserve icon_wink.gif

diamondlight,

I enjoyed reading your posted hair transplant experience with Dr. True and have decided to feature your story in our Hair Transplant Patient Stories section of our website. Your story can be viewed by clicking here.

I hope you will also create a hair loss weblog to share your photos and experience with us.

Bill

Well, diamondlight, I always will play the 'bad cop' role on many of these discussions, and some of my comments may seem unduly negative some times but that is for everyones benefit, I assure you, I got misled in this industry before and want to make sure that no one else does.

As far as your original post, it was a very legitimate question and one that I would also want an answer too. That said, there are other possibilities that I never brought up:

Instead of a 'newbie' stepping up and using your hairline as their template for gaining valuable experience, perhaps she made way for the resident expert on graft inserton to take their rightful place and give you the best quality work?

I peronally dont like too many people getting involved in any one session and I do know that what you experienced is quite common in the industry. It happened to me and many others here. I'm not saying its good or bad and it likely is necessary if alot of patients are seen on a regular basis by a surgeon.

On that level, sometimes the largest practices with alot of patients seen daily may not always mean the "most experienced" practice there (in regards to a particular surgeon and time spent on patients) just that it has a larger staff.

And thats common everywhere, but my own opinion is I like the Doctors who are there from start to finish. And I've had one in the past that shuttled between sessions and ongoing surgeries simultaneously.

Bill- I must say...Im honored to have my experience "feautured" on the site! Wheres the recognition though? No sweet signature at the end? lol jk

Im starting to realize how much this site may mean to some people as what its already done for me. I must thank everyone for all their time and effort put into this forum. It helped me a ton, for one helping me take the leap to get on finasteride and two for helping me choose one of the best and just the right doctor. Which both of those conclusions were brought upon simply by reading others posts. So now Im going to dedicate my time to post my knowledge/experiences on this forum as best as I can in hopes to one day be able to help someone with the amount I recieved as it lead to 2 great big steps forward in my battle of mpb

Diamondlight,

I think you asked a legitimate question as well. As far as tech's stepping in and out of the critical planting phase, planting should be overseen partly by the lead tech and ultimately by the doctor. I have to tell you that many ht doctors do not do the planting as it's an acquired skill which takes months or even years to attain. The skill level attained by an individual can vary quite a bit in a given timeframe. You need great eyesight, hand-eye-coordination, and other intrinsic skills of ht surgery to be an efficient, master planter.icon_biggrin.gif To tell you the truth, when the session sizes were smaller and the incision sizes were bigger, it was easier for both the techs and doctors to do the planting. With the bigger sessions, it would take days for one person to do all the planting. Hunched over a patient can be a back and neck straining work. I personally think one or two people planting from start to finish is better, but it's not realistic to expect one person to be planting for 4, 5 or more hours straight through. There's more likelihood of missing incisions and "piggybacking" a graft into the same incision when another person steps in, but that's why you have someone overseeing the planting to communicate exactly what needs to be done and to check the grafts are planted properly at all times.

Diamond

During my last HT with Dr. True I had 3 people total work on me. First the two ladies then a gentleman came in and one lady left.

Performing a HT is quite demanding especially for 6 or more hours. I would think it is so they can go to the bathroom, take a break or maybe go and assist another patient.

I agree with the others, if it is a reputable doctor I see not issue with it. At almost 8 months post op - the results speak for themselves

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thanks for the reassuring comments guys. As Dr. True himself had said the same Janna. His techs have been with him for years mastering the skill. As they are all highly professionals in that are. Wanna talk about being put at east real quick? haha

-I was just questioning as much as I could, I felt a little bad afterwards : / Probably an annoyance haha Basically what brought my question up, thats all really!

My blood pressure was pretty high when I started my surgery, so I was given a few valium to settle down. I was so loopy that the janitor could have been doing the transplants.

However, all turned out well, since I had the surgery done by one of the Docs recommended here.