Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

Hello Everyone.

After a thorough research on hair transplant (Many thanks to this website), I have decided to go with Dr. Hasson. I just turned 30 and have not done any hair transplant surgery before (virgin scalp). This will be the first one. I have booked my surgery on Friday Oct 5th, 2007 and will fly from CA to Vancouver.

I have three questions (concerns) and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1- Since Oct. 5th is a Friday and the Clinic is closed on Saturday, I cannot go for the next day follow up and washing. Is this gonna be a problem on the final result or doing the surgery on Friday is OK too? I have to fly back on Saturday.

2- I have only talked to Joe and not to Dr. Hasson. I have consulted via their website and not in person. What do you guys think. Should I go and meet with Dr. Hasson before the surgery or should I trust and just show up on the day before the surgery. I plan to meet him for 30 min the day before the surgery. I know he is the best and that was the reason I decided not to meet with him in person before the surgery. Am I making the right decision?

3- I just started taking Finestride 1.25mg a week ago. Does this gonna have any effect on the surgery? I mean should I first wait a few months and see what this medication does for me or should I just get the job done while on medication.

I take this medication mainly for my crown. I have lost my frontal zone but trying to hang on to my crown hair as I am slowly losing them as well.

Thanks in advance.

Picture_001.jpg.746b472383725ec12a457b9a95969682.jpg

3664 Grafts with Dr. Hasson - Oct. 5th, 2007

My Hair Loss Weblog

Hello Everyone.

After a thorough research on hair transplant (Many thanks to this website), I have decided to go with Dr. Hasson. I just turned 30 and have not done any hair transplant surgery before (virgin scalp). This will be the first one. I have booked my surgery on Friday Oct 5th, 2007 and will fly from CA to Vancouver.

I have three questions (concerns) and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

1- Since Oct. 5th is a Friday and the Clinic is closed on Saturday, I cannot go for the next day follow up and washing. Is this gonna be a problem on the final result or doing the surgery on Friday is OK too? I have to fly back on Saturday.

2- I have only talked to Joe and not to Dr. Hasson. I have consulted via their website and not in person. What do you guys think. Should I go and meet with Dr. Hasson before the surgery or should I trust and just show up on the day before the surgery. I plan to meet him for 30 min the day before the surgery. I know he is the best and that was the reason I decided not to meet with him in person before the surgery. Am I making the right decision?

3- I just started taking Finestride 1.25mg a week ago. Does this gonna have any effect on the surgery? I mean should I first wait a few months and see what this medication does for me or should I just get the job done while on medication.

I take this medication mainly for my crown. I have lost my frontal zone but trying to hang on to my crown hair as I am slowly losing them as well.

Thanks in advance.

My Hair Loss Weblog

KamCal,

Congratulations on selecting an elite hair transplant physician.

In fact, your surgery with Dr. Hasson falls just short of the 1 year anniversary of my surgery with Dr. Hasson. icon_smile.gif

To answer your questions...

1. The follow up post washing is helpful to keep the area clean but is not necessary. The final result will not be impacted.

2. I didn't meet with Dr. Hasson personally or even talk to him until the day of the surgery. Though I don't feel it's necessary - if you do arrive in Vancouver the day before the surgery and have time to stop in to meet with him, that would be a bonus. But don't fear if you cannot - you will STILL be in the best of hands.

3. Typically it is advisable to try medication for at least a year before surgery. Finasteride may help strengthen the miniaturized hairs making them more immuned to shock loss. However, I did the same thing - in fact, I didn't start Propecia until the day after my first surgery.

I hope you'll come back to report your progress with us so we may support you in your journey. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to ask.

By the way...Vancouver is a beautfiul city! If you have the time, get there a few days early and explore a bit. icon_smile.gif

I hope this helps,

Bill

Thanks Bill and TheEmperor for your respond.

It's really great to get such motivation by such wonderful, knowledgable people here.

Hey Bill, thanks for your respond. It makes me more determined in my decision.

Hey based on my picture, how many grafts do you guys think will address my needs?

Picture_001.jpg.1f6be466e86553087fee63a56bc1553b.jpg

My Hair Loss Weblog

KamCal,

You will be in great hands with Dr. Hasson.

The number of grafts you'll need really depends on your goals.

Are you planning to hit the middle section and crown or just the front?

Also, more pictures would help, but going just by this picture - I'd guestimate 4000-4500 grafts if you are covering the entire area would give you some nice density.

However, since your primary hair loss condition seems to be in the front, if you are just going to hit the front, I'd say based on this picture, maybe 2000-2500 grafts?

What was Dr. Hasson's estimate for you and where are you targeting for hair transplantation?

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill for your encouraging words. I really need them at this time.

Dr. Hasson estimated 4000-4500 grafts as well.

I have no concern about the fontal zone.

But my biggest concern is that should I touch the crown? I am worried about the possible shock loss in that area.

Or is it safe to add some density to the crown also and move in between the hairs? I have no doubt that Dr. Hasson is a very skillful Doctor. But still I am concerned. Do you think Finastride will take care of the crown and thicken the thinning hairs in the crown or do I still need HT to add density?

Thanks.

KamCal

My Hair Loss Weblog

KamCal,

Do you have another picture of the crown that you can post? It's hard to take that picture yourself, perhaps you can have someone help you.

Depending on your level of loss in the crown, you may want to hold off in your crown to see if finasteride will regrow any hair in that area - especially since you are on the medication anyway.

I would express your concern to Dr. Hasson the day of the surgery as well and see what he suggests. You can always go back for a second HT to touch up the crown in a year or two if the finasteride doesn't help regrow any hair.

Bill

Bill,

Getting pretty good at guessing the necessary Fu! Took your own staples out. Next, I'm sure your wife will catch you making incisions on a mellon and drawing in hairlines. icon_smile.gif

NN

P.S. I would have said 3500+

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

KamCal, I just saw Dr. Hasson last month, and the only thing I could have done differently was to really be specific on the area I wanted filled in. If you can get some more pictures up and let Bill and the others hash it out with you, it would be better. Other than that, don't worry!! The doctor, the techs, the front desk people take such good care of you--you'll just have to see it for yourself! Is there any way you can stay in Vancouver for 10 days or so? I was able to come back after 10 days to let them take the staples out and check on things. You wouldn't regret it at all! Good luck but I don't think you'll need it plus the Canadians are so nice!

Thanks Bill and its752. I feel great to hear from all of you that I am making the right decision to go to Vancouver for my HT.

From your past experience with Hair Transplant Surgery, what is the paitent's condition the day after the surgery. I have a surgery on Friday Oct. 5th, however I would like to explore the city as well. Do you guys think I can do that on Saturday or the condition after the surgery doesn't let me? I am trying to book my flight and wondering if I should return on Saturday or can stay there an extra day and return on Sunday. However, I don't want to just pay extra day and have to stay in the hotel room. Does the condition after surgery let me go out and have fun or I have to stay in with a lot of pain?

Can you please share your experience so I can make a decision on my return date.

Thanks.

KamCal

My Hair Loss Weblog

KamCal,

Thanks for asking all these questions... I had a lot of the same ones. I'll be going up to visit the clinic from Sep 30- Oct4th, so I will just barely miss you. Maybe you could come up a day or 2 early and view some live surgeries with me, as well as meet a lot of Dr Hasson's previous patients.

I am in the same boat as you are, as the staff up there have been very accommodating to my requests to get all the info I need before making a decision to go with their clinic (hence the trip). Since you've already made the choice, it could do nothing but put you more at ease.

One request though... once you take the plunge, please please (please?) make sure you document your experience and share photos for those that may come after you! =) PM me if you are interested in meeting up in Vancouver.

-Steve

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

Thanks everyone for your great encouragement and responses.

Did anyone get my last question?

My question is that the day after the surgery does my condition let me go out and do some sightseeing and enjoy the city of Vancouver or the condition after the surgery doesn't let me get out of the hotel room. (due topain and appearance, etc.) In that case I would rather fly back home and not pay extra for hotel. I am trying to book my flight and hesitating if I should come back the day after the surgery or I can stay there and explore the city and come back the following day.

Thanks.

KamCal

My Hair Loss Weblog

KamCal,

You will be a bit sore the day after surgery and will most likely want to rest most of the day. But you will certainly be in shape enough to get out and walk around. You just might not want to do that all day long.

My first day post-op was spent in airports all day and though I certainly had no problems functioning - after awhile I just was tired of airports and wanted to be home resting. Of course...that would probably be true even if I didn't have a hair transplant icon_wink.gif.

Bill