Hair Transplant for diffuse kind of hair loss

Hello from Germany,

my name is Ingo and I'm 28 years old. Looking for information about HT I found this discussion forum.

I have 1-2 questions about this topic and I would be deeply grateful if somebody could help me.

I have experienced Propecia for a couple of years, and I believe that it 'stabilised' my hair loss. Unfortunately side effects were occuring, which were not mentioned in the package insert, so I stopped consuming them. As my doctor said, I would be a 'perfect candidate' for Propecia, as my hair loss is diffuse (I hope I use the right vocabulary), which means that my hair loss is evenly spread over the top of my head. Luckily I still have some hair on my head, but my scalp starts to occur, which is not really pleasing to me.

Now I come to my question. In my eyes, HT is logically more suitable for 'real' bald areas rather than for areas with diffuse hair loss. Would you say that it is anyhow possible to apply HT to me, for let's say a 'filling up' of my hair? And would it be possible to do it now?

Regards,

Ingo

Hello from Germany,

my name is Ingo and I'm 28 years old. Looking for information about HT I found this discussion forum.

I have 1-2 questions about this topic and I would be deeply grateful if somebody could help me.

I have experienced Propecia for a couple of years, and I believe that it 'stabilised' my hair loss. Unfortunately side effects were occuring, which were not mentioned in the package insert, so I stopped consuming them. As my doctor said, I would be a 'perfect candidate' for Propecia, as my hair loss is diffuse (I hope I use the right vocabulary), which means that my hair loss is evenly spread over the top of my head. Luckily I still have some hair on my head, but my scalp starts to occur, which is not really pleasing to me.

Now I come to my question. In my eyes, HT is logically more suitable for 'real' bald areas rather than for areas with diffuse hair loss. Would you say that it is anyhow possible to apply HT to me, for let's say a 'filling up' of my hair? And would it be possible to do it now?

Regards,

Ingo

Ingo,

Welcome to our community.

Obviously Propecia is ideal for helping maintain existing hair. Being a diffuse thinner without taking medication, it is very possible that you will eventually lose most/all the hair on top of your head.

That being said, you may still be a candidate for an HT assuming a few things:

1. you have the donor laxity and density for it

2. you set reasonable goals.

You will never be able to receive a full head of hair with a hair transplant, but you certainly can achieve a cosmetically pleasing result.

What is your current level of loss according to the Norwood Scale? Do you have any pictures you can post? Have you consulted with any of our world class hair transplant doctors?

I hope this gets you started.

Bill

Hello Bill,

thanks for the reply...According to the Norwood Scale, I would be something between 5A or 6.

I think my remaining hair on the side, is quite robust so I'd have the donor laxity.

Well, I know that it is impossible to realise a density of hair by HT which is comparable to what I had in the past. And ok, maybe I don't make friends with the statement that I wouldn't mind being bald with the age of 40. I know that sounds stupid, but it's the way I think...I didn't even reach the age of 30, and so all I want to do is a sort of deceleration of my hair loss? Would that be possible?

Thanks for the list...my plan was also to consult a doctor. But as doctor's want to earn money, I wanted to talk to people having experience with HT.

Regards and thanks,

Ingo

Ingo79,

At level 5A or 6 - even taking medication would not recover a full head of hair though it might slow down the hair loss. Propecia really is your best bet for that, however. You may also want to try minoxodil.

Hair Transplantation is not a cure for hair loss nor does anything to prevent future loss. All it does is transplant hair from one area of the scalp to the next.

Feel free to view any of my 3 transplant procedural experiences below by clicking on one of my links.

The good news is, there is certainly hope for the NW5As and NW6s out there - as that's where I'd be without my hair transplants.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Felc,

thanks a lot again for the reply. I think you do a really great job with this site, and I get a lot of information I would certainly not get from a doctor's brochure....

I think my previous answer was not clear. I still have 'full hair' which means, that there is no bald area on my head yet...In future it will look like 5A or 6. So my question is, when can I start to apply HT to my hair. Is HT only applicable to real bald areas? Would a HT destroy existing areas?

It would be great if you could help me again....

Ingo79,

Thank you for your encouragement! I'm glad I can be of help to you.

First question: If you are not losing any hair right now, how is it that you are predicting that you will end up a NW5A or 6?

Though family history of hair loss can be an indicator, there is no guarantee as hair loss is unpredictable.

I think you probably mean you have thinning hair but it is not bald anywhere...is that correct?

With new ultra refined follicular transplantation, hairs can be transplanted into areas with existing hair since the procedure is minimally invasive in the recipient area. Diffuse thinners can be ideal candidates for a hair transplant - however I suggest medication to help you keep the hair you have.

Getting a hair transplant is idea for those who have successfully stopped their hair loss through meds. But since there is no guarantee, even then, the finite donor supply should be used wisely and conservatively.

Bill

Well my hair used to be really dense and thick...it becomes thinner and thinner..this is really sure, also my doctor prescribing propecia to me confirms that. There's really no doubt...If I would send a photo to you, you would say "Hey, where's the problem?" but taking a closer look it would be obvious as the hair on top has got another density and structure yet...

I consumed Propecia around 2 years, and like I mentioned I believe that it stabilised my hair loss, but the last times I recognised pain in my testicles so I stopped taking the pills, the pain was gone...starting again the pain came back...and so on and so on...I even went to an urologist, recommending me to stop the consumation of Propecia...

I also tried Menoxidil for one year, no effect, and I got really hard scull from it (by the way I think the usage is not practical)....

'Ultra refined follicular transplantation'...you say that this is a new type of HT...how new is it? Do you think this technique has reached Germany?

Regards and thanks again,

You the man!

Ingo

Diffuse thinning is tough, I was a diffuse thinner as well, when I had my first procedure, I lost a lot of my original hair where the transplants went, so I had to go back for more coverage. Back then I wasn't on propecia, I was on propecia 8 months prior to my second procedure and even though I still had some shock loss, I am hoping that they were stronger and will grow back this time.