good problem

bayscholar

Old friend(real straight shooter, will tell you the first thing on his mind no bs type)of mine came over to my house had not seen him for like 3 or 4 years, he is also a former roommate of mine during my really bad hairloss days. I opened the door and I said happythanksgivings... he responds right off that bat... "Dude I haven't seen you with that much hair in like ten years!... looks good man"...didn't really know what to say when he asked what I did to bring it back, I told him I threw the kitchen sink at my hair (propecia,rogaine..etc)...Thinking I might have to come clean at some point that I got work done being that neither propecia or rogaine brings your hairline back (but I figure how many except hairloss dorks like us really know this, my friend has a full head of hair so his knowledge of meds is second hand from me).....Don't get me wrong, I dreamed before my procedure to have it come to a point like this, just never really thought it would happen....I know it sounds funny but seriously any one else have this problem, and if so what did you do?....I guess my issue is my friends I have not seen for a while that saw my hair crap out on me, that happen to be as bald or bladder then I was, will not buy on the kitchen sink story...they have tried it.

Old friend(real straight shooter, will tell you the first thing on his mind no bs type)of mine came over to my house had not seen him for like 3 or 4 years, he is also a former roommate of mine during my really bad hairloss days. I opened the door and I said happythanksgivings... he responds right off that bat... "Dude I haven't seen you with that much hair in like ten years!... looks good man"...didn't really know what to say when he asked what I did to bring it back, I told him I threw the kitchen sink at my hair (propecia,rogaine..etc)...Thinking I might have to come clean at some point that I got work done being that neither propecia or rogaine brings your hairline back (but I figure how many except hairloss dorks like us really know this, my friend has a full head of hair so his knowledge of meds is second hand from me).....Don't get me wrong, I dreamed before my procedure to have it come to a point like this, just never really thought it would happen....I know it sounds funny but seriously any one else have this problem, and if so what did you do?....I guess my issue is my friends I have not seen for a while that saw my hair crap out on me, that happen to be as bald or bladder then I was, will not buy on the kitchen sink story...they have tried it.

bay-

To tell or not to tell.............I've given this situation some thought as well but haven't been pressed that hard yet...........had a couple of comments like "your hair is lookin' good" and "you keep looking younger and younger"........just said thanks and moved on.

If someone asks me point-blank if I've had a HT I'll tell them..........otherwise I'll likely refer to the meds and hair care regimen as it does help.........it just didn't do everything!

To each his own..........see what the friends you haven't seen in awhile say. As usual, we're much more interested in our hair (and ourselves) than others so once you mention meds they may drop it. If they ask if you've had a HT......I'd just tell them.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Bay,

That's an awesome story man! I haven't had anyone actually say something like that to me...I've had a few say something like "you look different" but most couldn't put their finger on it. However, I think most people typically just don't pay attention to it. Maybe more people will notice after this particular HT grows in since it's more drastic due to the number of grafts being almost as much as both my other surgeries combined! Definately a GOOD problem to have.

I think I'd go with the Propecia Minox route in my story too...however, I agree...if someone asks if you have had an HT point blank, I'd tell them. However, if they worded it like "did you get plugs", I'd probably say of course not...which actually IS true.

Bill

Hi Guys

I'll tell you my deal.. 11 months into my 2nd HT and a total of 2900 or so HT's total.. I saw and Ex and she just told me I look really good but didn't specify ( yes, of course it's the hair). 2nd, my response from the opposite sex has been tremendous.. The last 3 months it has been amazing and this is no BS..I get more looks, better responses, and there is no way it is due to my " new confidence".. I just look younger and more appealing. My HT's were the best investment yet and I'll have one more so the cover up will not be needed.. Nobody knows I had it done and I'm keeping it that way as I have used coverup thorugh the years

It is a great story...and all true

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mrjb-

Glad to hear the story..........that's what it's all about. Does make you feel good, doesn't it??

Amazingly enough, the day after my first reply to this thread I got together with a hunting friend of mine. He's known me since I was a kid though we've become closer in the past 4-5 years. Anyway.........when I dropped by his house to say hello, one of the first he said was "your hair looks great, you look like a movie star"............I was taken a little aback and laughed and said "yeah, those hair loss pills work wonders!" We just laughed and moved on to setting up our next date for a pheasant hunt. He's from my hometown which is very small so if anyone knew.....everyone would know, if you know what I mean!! Kind of a Mayberry thing for those of you who remember Andy Griffith. Still, if I'd have been asked point-blank about a HT, I'd fess up.

Thought I'd share the story since it seemed appropriate!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Excellent stories guys...truly we do look better and get more noticed with hair! I can't wait for about 6 more months so my new hair will be growing quite nicely. I hate waiting. But oh well...it's worth the wait icon_wink.gif

get more looks, better responses, and there is no way it is due to my " new confidence"..

I assume this is a reference to the "The Value in all of us" thread under the Open Hair Loss forum icon_wink.gif. LOL. Yes, you are right...initial responses that you get will have more to do with how you look then how you are...however, if you were to get involved with a girl, i bet a girl would be more attracted (long term) to a confident man over a non-confident man...head of hair or not icon_wink.gif. so many variables...won't deny it :P

Bill

I just saw this thread and I know that it is a couple of weeks old but I think that it is a very interesting topic and I hope to revive the discussion. I had an HT 16 yrs. ago-see my photo album. Ofcourse the technology was different and I'm not proud of the job done so I do conceal and am shy about talking about it. But the more I think about things, if (when) I get the next HT and it is as awesome as I hope it to be with the latest tech and skilled doctors, I might just tell everyone. Shouldn't we be spreading the word. Isn't it an obligation to end the suffering of those balding and not happy with the shaving idea or those with old bad HT's. I think that we should be removing the negative stigma of getting a HT. When I showed my wife some of the photos and videos on this site she had no idea, hell I had no idea. Don't most females that get boob jobs want everyone to know? It certainly seems like it-- and I'm very glad they feel that way. Don't get me wrong, I'm nervous about the time off work and the return because lets face it, things don't look great until the finished product that could be a year off. But once it grows in and is impressive, hell ya I'm telling everyone. I want to be proud of it.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

• Administrators

Nervous,

Thanks for reviving a great thread that I had missed. We all read so much on this forum about technical issues and surgeon reviews that we rarely share how it affects our own lives.

I have to laugh at how much undeserved free word of mouth advertising that Propecia gets from successful hair transplant patients (So just how does it feel to be a dishonest shill for the makers of Procecia ;-?

I guess very few of us, even on this forum, are truly "out of the closet" about our hair transplants. Now imagine if you were me and trying to explain what I do? Even my parents are still not yet sure what I'm talking about :-)

So who's on board for the first annual "Hair Transplant Pride Parade" to be sponsored by the Hair Transplant Network?

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

If things work out as planned I'll be right with ya Pat. Doesn't it give you a slight high from the confidence adrenaline when people don't believe that you had an HT. Wasn't it you that said even your hairdresser didn't notice. How cool. But you felt compelled to tell right? I'm tired of being nervous and insecure about all this hair BS. When I'm finished with it all I am "coming out."

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Well I suppose some people, including myself take a more conservative approach. Perhaps one reason I haven't told that many people is because I'm still a work in progress. Telling people I had hair transplants after the first or second one, when I was still in process didn't seem to me worth talking about because I knew I'd be going under the knife again. Maybe I didn't want to tell people because they'd look at my head and say "you spent that much money and still have a big bald spot on the back of your head?" However, maybe I'll feel differently 12 months from now after my third HT has grown in and I have much more hair. My approach would still be more conservative...doubtfully would I be telling everyone I know...but I think once it all grows in, I'd tell people if they ask. I did actually talk to an associate of mine who works for me about Propecia. He has been developing a bald spot and being young (21 he is), he teased me for awhile (even before my first HT) about my bald spot. When I told him that I'd have more hair than him 10 years from now, he sorta stopped and asked "so what's yoru secret". So I told him about Propecia and gave him general advice as I would give someone else 21 years old just starting to lose their hair. I mentioned nothing about hair transplants (partly because I didn't really want my entire office to know I had one, and partly because my hair hasn't fully grown in yet).

Anyway...to make a long story short...I'm sure I'll be more open about it once I feel somewhat satisfied that I have a decent head of hair, but I doubt I will go broadcasting it to everyone I meet...to me, the reason why I wanted a hair transplant was to feel better about myself, not to draw more attention to my head so people can scrutinize it and think it's weird. Obviously if people are searching for help for hairloss, it's much easier to be open to these people, which is why I don't mind showing my face on this forum. Who is going to find my profile but fellow hairloss suffererers?

Bill

I hear you pal. Take things I say with a grain of salt. By know means would I be broadcasting to the world and drawing more attention to myself as by nature I am reserved and can be shy when not in my comfort zone. I guess though, my point is that if and when I do reach that pinnacle of finality and I'm truly confident in my appearance, I would love to share my experience. It would be that much more fulfilling to have to "prove" to someone that I had a HT. If I didn't exagerrate things a little it would make for a boring discussion.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Very true Nervous...I think sharing your experience is a great thing...one reason why I do it here is because I want others to know...to be here to support me...just as I try to reach others and support them because I know what this is all about and what it's like...especially now since I've become some sort of veteran. But I kid not...there is always more to learn, especially as things change...new philosophies and old ones that have to continue to be challenged and grow, etc. In two other posts I've been having discussions with doctors based on their philosophies...one I agree with could be beneficial (Dr. Paul) and the other, I have serious doubts...seems like this particular doctor doesn't want to get away from an older school approach (Dr. Chang), but I told him I'd keep an open mind...which I will, if his methods have merit. I can only give credit where it's due. Anyway...I digress. Once I get to a point where I feel I'm at the tail end of my HT experience (not that I might not get a few extra grafts further down the pike like Pat icon_wink.gif), I just might share more of my experience with people real time as well as the forums.

Bill

Sharing experiences is invaluable. Due to this forum and others that I have researched, I am becoming less and less nervous about a future HT. In fact I am getting to the point where I'm now getting excited. What a huge transformation--trust me on that one. I might just have to change my known name on this forum.

In regard to your discussions with 2 docs regarding their philosophy I am right there with ya. It is actually a little concerning--you seem more educated on the artisty of the profession. Not good.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

I am 110 days out, I have several hundred sprouters about 1/4 to 1/2 inch long out of 1700 grafts. I had receded temples and a very thin front.

Anyhow, I went on a vacation for a week and a half after the procedure with my girlfriend. There was nothing to notice when I went back to work, I wasn't even the least bit concerned, you couldn't tell it was done, even if you stared from five inches away (all the grafts shed within 2 weeks).

I am just now starting to get the "i like your new haircut" comments. It feels great. Even my family does not nor will ever know.

Signed,

Happily Balding in Reverse

2 clarify a little ....my original post was just the day after I had a encounter with my old roommate and I truthfully was frozen solid for a minute and did not know how to respond (very unlike me...didn't want anyone knowing about my HT-yet)...I did not mean to indicate my intention to hide from those with situations like my own, not giving guidance or help (knowing I owe the likes of Pat the publisher and JoTronic a beer or two or three!). If one of my friends who needs a HT asks me about my hair "point blank" showing a genuine concern for his own...I will take him under my wing-thx HBank. At the same time I do not want it to be public knowledge 4 -any and every one- I know (my personality is just not wired that way). NNelly you are right, I could help more then I am and should to some degree realize that it is not a burden (more of a gift-hair again!). Knowing most of the time its just some one like myself, a year ago, struggling like crazy with hairloss desperate for a solution...helping is good....Any one who has contacted me via my blog, I have assisted like they were me 1 year ago and gave them all I could have asked for and more...truthful answers not sugar coated at all, what you need to hear regarding HT (FUSS specific).... My original post was really just raw emotion of nearly having my cover blown with my first encounter with "what the F you have hair again"....so yes I am trying to hide the past to some degree, can you blame me?

I understand what you are saying. By know means did I want to be critical of anyone. I just was shooting my mouth a bit to stir up a little discussion about the topic. There is no doubt that it is a little nerve racking hoping that "no one will know." That obviously is why we are on such forums and seeking out the most talented doctors to conceal any evidence of work. My whole point is that I think that ultimately we all dream of the scenario where people don't believe us if we tell them we had a HT. How cool is that? I will look forward to the day when I can proudly show things off. Will I tell everyone? NO but I will definitely educate. Even though my old HT isn't stellar, I have been in conversations with groups of people that were making derogatory comments about HT's and how they can spot them a mile away. I was wanting badly to point out mine but didn't because it's not perfect, but when it is I doubt I will stay silent.

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Right on NNelly that is a great attitude just not for every one. I feel you on the being with a group making fun of plugs (I am the only one in the group not saying a word-busy counting my blessing in my head). Slightly of the topic but, if you are that close to Dr. Ron Shapiro you should really give him major consideration for your future HT.

Good luck hairloss brother

Bay