Hats and HAir loss

I know this is an old Hat, sort of speak. I have mentioned this a few times. Most don't believe me. And I am not saying this just to make myself think I did not lose my hair to Male Pattern Baldness. But I was talking with a Nurse who works for a Transplant Doctor, who I sent my Pictures to. If you have seen my Pictures on the Open Hair Loss Forum, you can see I have extensive Hair Loss. I know how I lost my Hair, from wearing a Hat to much, a Baseball type Hat. If you notice the back of my head you can see the pattern of where the Hat fit on my head. When you look at my head in real person you can see on the lower bottom of my head where the clip from the hat rubbed against it, straight across the bottom. You know the plastic clip at the bottom of the Hat, that is about 3 inches long. Anyhow, this Nurse listened to me and told me to try Propecia, that it might help revitalize my Hair folicles. Of course I know the Medical field wants to promote there drugs, but I thought I might try it out. She said a Hat can break the shaft to the folicles. But if this is the case surely my Hair would take root and grow. I think I may have destroyed the Folicles or killed them instead of breaking off the shaft, because I haven't been wearing the Hat that much. But I have noticed some light Hair Growth on the top of my head, since I haven't wore the Hat as much, but it is light growth, and has gotten a little longer. Of course I also had a Transplant of 1500 Futs also, but that isn't what I have really noticed growing. I do see some Ht's trying to come in. Been about 2 months. I'll post more Pictures when it grows in, if it grows in. The transplant center I went to said I can get 1000 more, but I may get 1500 more. I may also have a scalp expander done for the back. Not sure yet. Any comments welcomed. I think this is a great site for men and women who are doing transplants or thinking about it. Makes me feel better just to talk about it. My quest for more hair has led me to some puzzling questions, that can't be answered very easily. It can be a bit confusing just understanding how hair grows, and why we have this quest for more hair. My Doctor says I have Body Disformic Disorder, because I want to have Hair Transplants. But I say I am just plain Bald! And I want more Hair!

I know this is an old Hat, sort of speak. I have mentioned this a few times. Most don't believe me. And I am not saying this just to make myself think I did not lose my hair to Male Pattern Baldness. But I was talking with a Nurse who works for a Transplant Doctor, who I sent my Pictures to. If you have seen my Pictures on the Open Hair Loss Forum, you can see I have extensive Hair Loss. I know how I lost my Hair, from wearing a Hat to much, a Baseball type Hat. If you notice the back of my head you can see the pattern of where the Hat fit on my head. When you look at my head in real person you can see on the lower bottom of my head where the clip from the hat rubbed against it, straight across the bottom. You know the plastic clip at the bottom of the Hat, that is about 3 inches long. Anyhow, this Nurse listened to me and told me to try Propecia, that it might help revitalize my Hair folicles. Of course I know the Medical field wants to promote there drugs, but I thought I might try it out. She said a Hat can break the shaft to the folicles. But if this is the case surely my Hair would take root and grow. I think I may have destroyed the Folicles or killed them instead of breaking off the shaft, because I haven't been wearing the Hat that much. But I have noticed some light Hair Growth on the top of my head, since I haven't wore the Hat as much, but it is light growth, and has gotten a little longer. Of course I also had a Transplant of 1500 Futs also, but that isn't what I have really noticed growing. I do see some Ht's trying to come in. Been about 2 months. I'll post more Pictures when it grows in, if it grows in. The transplant center I went to said I can get 1000 more, but I may get 1500 more. I may also have a scalp expander done for the back. Not sure yet. Any comments welcomed. I think this is a great site for men and women who are doing transplants or thinking about it. Makes me feel better just to talk about it. My quest for more hair has led me to some puzzling questions, that can't be answered very easily. It can be a bit confusing just understanding how hair grows, and why we have this quest for more hair. My Doctor says I have Body Disformic Disorder, because I want to have Hair Transplants. But I say I am just plain Bald! And I want more Hair!

I've never heard of hats causing hair loss. Scalp expander? I'm not sure what that is, but I've heard of the Frechet extender and that is something you DEFINITLEY want to stay away from. Don't do any scalp reductions either. I would suggest consulting with other reputable docs before doing ANYTHING. I think the people you're going to are feeding you line of BS.

Well, I still stand by my convictions, that Hats do cause Hairloss. I am living proof. But anyhow, a scalp expander, is something like a Balloon that is inserted into your head. It is filled with a saline solution. It expands the top of your head to a height of a one litter Bottle. It stretches the skin. You have to have it inserted for three months. Your head will look like an alien. Yo can go home while your under this procedure, 3 months. You are taught how to fill the balloon with a saline solution. So you can do it yourself. After the 3 months you go back to the doctor, he removes the Balloon type thing , the excess skin is removed, sewed back together and Wala, no more Bald Spot. Costs are comparable to FUT grafts. This would be good for someone like me, who has a large bald spot on the back of my head, with not quite enough Donor Hair to get a fuller look. And it has been performed with excellent results. I think it is a cool procedure. I may have it done later. The Doctor that performs this procedure, said to wait and see how my newly implanted FUT's come in first. But I beg to differ on Hats, I do believe they "CAN" cause Hair Loss!

Dude if you are actually considering that medievil balloon thing in this day and age you are bonkers. You will be sorry you ever stepped foot in that guy's office. I don't say "Dr.'s office" because not one single repuatable HT surgeon would even consider doing that crap anymore. Good luck to you fella; enjoy a normal life while you still can.

Personally, I don't think hats cause hair loss. I do think they may "rub off" different types of hair more easily than others, or maybe just hair that is susceptible to MPB hair. If it isn't MPB hair I bet it would come back....who knows for sure.

Remember Cal Ripken? I don't remember how long ago this was but I was watching the game he played in that put him no. 1 in the league for most consecutive games played. I'm guessing it would have been 6-7 years ago.....I dunno for sure and am not sure why I was watching as I'm a St. Louis Cardinal fan. icon_wink.gif Anyway, lots of fanfare, and I remember Cal taking off his hat..............there was evident hair loss where the back "strap" of the hat went across the back of his head. (i.e. thick hair below, thick hair above - I'm sure only someone from the school of follically challenged would notice, as usual).

Now, he was/is already balding......very thin on top with a big "b spot". I highly doubt the "hat" was a cause of his baldness but the type being susceptible to MPB might have aided in the cause of his loss along the hatline. I highly doubt it had anything to do with the "b spot" on the top. Another thing, I think the bald hatline was only on the back, not the sides.

Anyway, nothing conclusive, but I thought it was interesting. I can see how someone seeing this may wonder about hats causing baldness...........but I don't buy it.

Comments?

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I thought baloon procedures were to generate new skin. Skin which has no hair. I've seen where a couple of HT repair patients had the balloon only so they could create enough laxity in the back of the head in order to do a (hopefully) successfull scar revision. Then they would still need to fill in the scar with grafts.

If you are considering the balloon expansion to remove a bald spot, you need to hit the brakes and do a lot more research. You will still be left with a scar just like any other scalp reduction and the hair will be growing in the wrong directions. I'm not going to do your homework for you. Do search on balloon expansion and scalp reductions and see what you come up with. If you so set on going through with it, then go for it, don't say we didn't tell you so.

Who is your doc anyway?

Originally posted by MtBaldy:

Well, I still stand by my convictions, that Hats do cause Hairloss. I am living proof.

You're indeed a living proof that forums like this one are very useful to get rid of all the rumors and BS people hear in this field. You're also a living proof that newbies like you need to do some research. Hats and hairloss are not related, full stop. Now considering all the answers you got above, any other post from you stating the opposite is just a wind-up.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Your right, I need to look more into the Balloon thing. Apparently no one knows much about it here. I'll check on it. As far as the Hat thing, please don't take offense to it. Can't a man believe in his own convictions. And share them. But lets look at this with an open mind. Forget about the Baseball Players, the people who wear there hats all day and have thick hair. Lets look at cause and effect. What about the tightness of the Hat. The heat from the Hat. The irritation to the scalp. The pulling on the Hair. The rubbing against the Hair and scalp. The sweat. Don't you think there are conditions from wearing a Hat that might cause Hair Loss. Surely these conditions aren't good for the Hair. And there are some Bald Baseball players. So maybe they may have a different point of view, on there Hats! And let me state this point. Baldness does not run in my family. So I wore a Hat most of my life, and I am the only Bald one in the family. Something does not fit right here. The Hat and the Baldness. Yes and I am sorry I wore the Dam thing. I have been cursed from the day I put it on. But that is my own opinion. My advice, fellers, Don't wear a Hat if you have Hair!

Hairbank made a good point. It is probably possible that the strap in back could rub off a little hair, but don't blame your MPB on top on the hat. That's just silly.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by MtBaldy:

Something does not fit right here.

Indeed. Suggest you see a shrink.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

Not advocating to newbiesTo give advice on Hair Restoration procedures. Newbies out there, do not take my advice on Balloon and scalp expanders and extenders. The Hat thing, if you do wear a Hat, wear it under normal enviromental conditions. Give your Hair room to breath. But, please do not, follow my advice on doing any scalp expansion, or scalp extensions. I am still undergoing FUT transplantation. I would classify myself as a Norwood 6, or because of the extensive HAirloss in the BAck of my head I may even be a seven. But I still have enough Donor Hair for 1000 to 1500 Fut's. Hoping for 1500 more. I do have good donor hair, but not a lot of it. I am waiting to see how this Transplant comes out. I am not out to have a head full of hair. Just enough to look good. The fellow I saw, who had an FUT TRansplant, who worked at the Transplant center and who was older than I, had thin hair with his FUT's. He had 3 Transplants, but I did not ask him how many Fut's he had put in, but he to had extensive hair loss. Now he may have had more donor hair than I, I didn't ask, but he looked good with what he had done. Please Newbies, shop around, and ask a lot of questions from a lot of Doctors. The FUT's seem to be the way to go now days. But I am no Doctor, so make up your own decisions. I am only looking into ways to reduce my Bald Spot on the back of my head. I thought that if I could reduce it, then I would have more Fut's to use.

Mtbaldy i agree with you that we are all entitled to our thoughts and feeling.But if you check out the scientific literature on Hats and Hairloss you shall see it just doesnt exist, this notion has been a fallacy probably from the beginning of time. As far as you being the only one in your family with extensive hairloss it could very well be that you are now the first generation to carry this trait.

Only my thoughts...

I guess the problem is that you'll simply never know, man. For instance, you have the FDA claiming that a certain food or drug is great for you this year and then studies prove that the same food and/or drug is cancerous the next. Maybe wearing a hat does cause baldness - Who knows? Maybe it doesn't!

I can see how you would ride such a conclusion, tho'. I mean wearing a hat surely must cause some kind of damage to the hair - lack of venetaliton, maybe? On the other hand, by simply using the process of elimination, you really haven't any solid proof that would indicate such a claim as being accurate. I mean I've pretty much been wearing a hat every day of my life for the past 10 years or so and thank God I still have my hair.

I think there are many factors one can take into consideration (i.e. Lack of Diet, Stress, Exercise...just to name a few) as to why people go bald, so it's kind of dodgy to completely blame your hairloss on wearing a hat, ya know?

Just my $0.002

"Glad someone takes my point of view" Well, I haven't seen any evidence that Hats don't make you go Bald! I do think that a Hat can make you go Bald! If worn like I wore it. I wore it to much. And to this day I wish I would have never wore it. I use to have hair like a lion. Until I wore that Hat! And Baldness is no where in my Family. Of course I know there are brothers where one can be Bald, and the other not. So I know that is possible. But, in my case I think the Hat caused it. Why is it that after I stopped wearing my Hat so much, I grew some hair. Not much, but some did grow and it grew longer. And a friend of mine even noticed. He asked me where the the Hair came from. He noticed more hair on my crown area. I told him I hadn't been wearing the hat as much, and that I to had noticed some new hair coming in. And not the Transplanted Hair. Actually believe it or not, I have grown more of my own Hair since I haven't been wearing the Hat as much, than I have the Transplanted Hair. But only so much has grown. It hasn't been a major improvement, but noticeable. But, the rest has a long way to go. And it will probably never grow again. People use to ask me! Is that "Dam Hat Glued to your head." So that ought to tell you something. But, I will try some propecia and see if that does anything. A Nurse from a Transplant center, told me since I am not shiny Bald, Propecia might help. She actually believed me about the Hat thing. Or maybe she just wanted to sell me some propecia. I fooled her on that one, cause I got my propecia at the local pharmacy and saved a ton of money! I do think a Hat can cause conditions that can destroy the Hair Follicle. Instead of calling myself MtBaldy, maybe I should have called myself the Mad Bald Half Hair Transplanted Hat Man!

I guess I didn't fool the lady at the Transplant center, or nurse I mean. She was selling propecia for 200 bucks for a 4 month supply, I went to the Doctor and got a prescription for it, and I had to pay 65 bucks for one month supply. I'll check elsewhere next time. I guess my Doctor got me on that one!

Man most of you fellers, are really against the idea of "Hats causing Baldness." Well, I have thought a lot about this. So I am changing my theory to Heat, persperation, and an unclean scalp cause Baldness, brought on by improperly wearing a Hat! New Statement! New outlook on an old theory. Fellers, the Hat can cause conditions that can destroy the Hair Follicle, making it impossible to grow hair again. A Hat can cause irratation, to the scalp, and causing the Hair to come out by the handfulls due to irratation from a Baseball Cap. This in turn causes an effect resembling MPB, and if damage is done on a continual basis, then the MPB effect from the Hat can in certain individuals cause a Bald pattern resembling MPB!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. This is my first post to this site.

I don't know if hats can make you lose hair or not but what I do know is that I have been wearing hats for years to try to hide the fact that I was losing my precious hair.

I have been losing my hair for around 10 years now. I have been trying to hide the fact by wearing baseball caps and at work I would never take my hard hat off. Even when I would go to the beach or swimming in a pool I would never remove my hat. I'd hate to admit it but I actually had stopped going to church when I noticed I was losing my hair because you can't wear a hat in church. I even had to pass on several weddings because of my insecurity from balding.

Well guess what... I finally found a way to deal with my balding and take back control of my life again after 10 years of suffering in silence. Last night I musterd up enough courage to shave off every single last hair on my head! There was no way I was going to let even one more #$@#! hair leave my head unless it was by my choice!

It has only been one day since I shaved my head but I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.(literally because I had long hair. lol)So far all my friends have had nothing to say but good comments.(to my face anyways) I haven't gone to work yet since the big shave but I expect I will get some teasing and ripping but I will deal with it when the time comes.

I do want to grow my hair back again but only if there is a way that it will grow in thick and full. Otherwise I think I will keep the Howie Mandel look.