advanced hair studio

GRAV15

I have become a victim as well

Could anyone please give me any advice on how to take AHS to court or gain a refund?

I believe I have been mis-sold their strand by strand treatment as all I got was a shaven head and a wig which is now off.

Any help would truely be appreciated.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there. I used to work for Advanced Hair Studio and seeing how they work I'm come to offer people advise about hair loss and how to go about fighting it. I have a site here: (promotional link removed - read our terms of service) . I'm not selling anything on it. It's just there for information. Hope it helps. Anything you want to know just get in contact with me through this.

• 2 weeks later...

To all AHS victims out there,

I have decided to put together a file for ACCC to investigate AHS for all of the deception and loss it has caused its patients over past years. My friend was a victim, and I was helping him put together a case to obtain a refund. I fortunately got in contact with a number of other victims within Australia, and have still been receiving emails from international victims to date. However, like many victims, he lost the energy to fight the organisation with the fear that it will cause further disappointment.

I do not understand why ACCC has not taken action yet, so for the sake of putting an end to this, I am prepared to gather all of the evidence I can get, conduct further research, and compile this all into a claim to ACCC. With the support of as many people as possible, I hope to see an outcome. If this fails, I will forward this to the press to report on, in hope of putting pressure on the government to find justice.

If you would like to join me, and support me in this fight, please make contact with me.

All I need is for you to provide me with the specific details and a summary/report of your situation. No more than 1 page will be sufficient. If you require, I will keep your details confidential.

Thank you and I hope to get your support.

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

Thanks for picking this up back again Chan and your recent email of advice. I will write you my experience as requested. I urge everyone else who has had a bad experience to give Chan an email. She seems sincere and genuine to myself and willing to help. The more of us that join together the more we can try and fight against this corrupt organisation.

• 1 month later...

Advanced Hair Studio has a client relations department - any client that is not happy with a product or service that they have received can contact: Mrs Maeve Duhy - 02920 641 290 - E-mail: maeveduhy@advancedhairstudio.com.

Please contact us direct at the client relations department and we will look into your complaint

Kind regards

Ahs Relations

I am the Customer relations manager for Advanced Hair Studio

To all AHS victims out there,

I have decided to put together a file for ACCC to investigate AHS for all of the deception and loss it has caused its patients over past years. My friend was a victim, and I was helping him put together a case to obtain a refund. I fortunately got in contact with a number of other victims within Australia, and have still been receiving emails from international victims to date. However, like many victims, he lost the energy to fight the organisation with the fear that it will cause further disappointment.

I do not understand why ACCC has not taken action yet, so for the sake of putting an end to this, I am prepared to gather all of the evidence I can get, conduct further research, and compile this all into a claim to ACCC. With the support of as many people as possible, I hope to see an outcome. If this fails, I will forward this to the press to report on, in hope of putting pressure on the government to find justice.

If you would like to join me, and support me in this fight, please make contact with me.

All I need is for you to provide me with the specific details and a summary/report of your situation. No more than 1 page will be sufficient. If you require, I will keep your details confidential.

Thank you and I hope to get your support.

Hi, I am in a process to take legal action against AHS and their activities, I would like as much info, as possible for this case, if you can help please contact me on elhabib@hotmail.co.uk, fully appriciate your help.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I had recently been to AHS - Melboune for a consult. The Consultant gives you a brief about what male pattern baldness is and why it occurs. Then you get a 3 minute video with Shane Warne and the rest of the co (Vaughan, Gooch, Bollinger etc) to basicall sell the stuff. Then the option that would work for you. In my case the Strand-by-Strand $14,500 if I sat for the 5 sittings so that the growth is gradual rather than overnight. If one is happy to do it in one sitting then $8500. After a lot of argy bargy and taking to the boss and all that, I was offered a 35% discount, which brought the price down to ~$4750. Also to pay 50% initially and the rest 3 months after only if I am satisfied. Never got a chance to read the contract. All of this was verbal. What they do is match your hair and get them from overseas or wherever it is available and then design a silicone sheet based on your scalp and then plant the hair into it. The silicon is stuch to your scalp using an adhesive. So, they basically they have to cut/shave your hair on your scalp. I don't know what will happen to the natural hair (whatever little) that is there. I was told the the natural hair will be there as the Silicone sheet has pores and everything. But, I am not convinced. You also have an ongoing cost of about $60 every 6 weeks for a hair cut and health check. However, you are not obligated to do it. The other option is to go for the Minoxidil 5% to be applied on your scalp everyday, Finasteride tablets and laser therapy, which the consultant said has a 76% success rate. I am giving this a miss at the moment.

• 1 month later...

You have got some nerve Chris Attrill, I will give this individual all the help he needs so do your very worst you charlatans.

I paid a visit to your branch in Birmingham over ten years ago, then enticed by your company's grandiose claims (still at It too I see) only to be left literally speechless, dumbfounded and eventually enraged (I'd flown in especially from abroad) upon being presented with the extremely cheap wig (not in price mind) well described in the first post, So It doesn't seem to have evolved at all since then.

I honestly thought It was all an elaborate joke and I do not know how you still seem to be getting away with your con. My hair loss, and the search for a solution had at the time turned my mind to mush, so I regret not being in a frame of mind where I might have sued your utterly dishonourable company for grossly misrepresenting It's services.

And you had the nerve to try and foist two of these laughable Items on me.

I wasn't taken in btw, but many others here seem to have been taken advantage of, in their vulnerable state.

Edited by ico5555

• 4 weeks later...
This message is made by a past AHS employee who is now involved as a competitor to AHS, who's intentions are clearly not honorable. AHS will be taking action against this individual and anyone else who's aids and abets them.

Ha Ha Ha.....Chris Attrill... you are representing a company whose intentions are far from being honourable, just get off your high horse. How many individual victims are you going to sue? Looks like SOMEBODY is shivering in their shoes. We’ve been there and we are not going to be afraid of your empty threats.

Attn: Advanced hair studio prospective clients/clients/victims.

Australian victims please offer your support in reporting this company. If any of you have lodged a complaint against advanced hair studio, please let us know about your experience irrespective of its outcome.

If people are suffering from hair loss, in my personal opinion buy a wig or if you want it to meet your special requirements get a custom made wig from a “wig shop”. This option is far cheaper and a lot more reliable. Better still, take pride in who you are and how you look - I learnt it the hard way.

Kindly do not step into places like Advanced Hair Studio. They use your misfortune to their advantage and make millions, leaving you penniless and with a deep mental scar. Be warned.

If for some reason you want to be a client of Advanced Hair Studio, please do not sign any contract or any other documents with them before it is completely reviewed by a lawyer. It is worth spending a few hundred dollars on lawyer fees when you have decided to invest thousands of dollars, otherwise you might have to kiss your money goodbye.

Every customer has the right to take away the contract with them before they sign it for careful reading.

They are very good at misleading people and it is a “scam company”. I saw this news in the ACCC website:

ACCC institutes civil, criminal proceedings against former Advanced Hair Studio Hobart franchisee

Like many others, I too am a victim of Advanced Hair Studio and will soon be lodging a complaint against them. I do not have much evidence, but the consumer protection laws are very strong in Australia. If all of us think that we do not have evidence and do not report how we have been scammed to the government authorities, who will save future victims from falling into this terrible trap?

All victims please go ahead and file your case with the appropriate government bodies right now, do not hesitate. Let them know under what circumstances you signed the contract and what con story Advanced Hair Studio told you to get it signed. Remember AHS also needs to prove that they did not mislead you or misrepresent facts. It’s your word against their word. Have faith that truth will win and justice will be served. The fees (if any) are minimal.

Important websites to report your case against Advanced Hair Studio:

1. Lodging a complaint within Australia to the tribunal – check the quick links.

NSW Consumer, Trader & Tenancy Tribunal: Homepage

2. Report a scam.

SCAMwatch home

3. Details about contracts and rights for all consumers can be found in the following website

ACCC Home

4. We can lodge a complaint with the following one as well.

NSW Fair Trading: Homepage

Best of luck to all of you, and keep posting your experiences so that others are warned.

• 1 month later...

Hi bijv,

Can you share a bit more about your experience, what you were told you were getting and what actually turned up?. It would be good to know whether the 1500 was for one or several systems.

In my experience most company supplied systems cost around 500 each and that includes fitting. They make a bundle on this if you compare the ones you can buy mail order.

Hi Andrew, thanks for your info on this. i to have had a 'membrane' done. Their hair changed colour (the sun apparently) within 8 weeks. I've had it on four months now and the hair (on my partial membrane) is thinning out drastically. I too paid with it on credit card. Please let me know how you get on with a claim against them. I have written letters of complaint, but, so far, to no avail. I'm carrying out their instructions to the letter as well. Is their guarantee really worth anything? The branch I went to was Bromley in London, the faces are always changing there too. Never the same person twice.

Steve in UK

I've long thought that someone Like Dominic littlewood or watchdog should investigate the selling practices of hair replacement clinics.

It still shocks me to read that a customer doesn't really know what their buying and then can't get help or support afterwards.

Hey steve, id you can recall what you were told and what you signed, you should be able to claim on your credit card. I'm willing to bet it's all covered in the small print.

ALL hair replacement systems fade with continual washing and sun exposure. All hair systems will shed hair over time. I don't know what a partial membrane is supposed to be but if it's a poly (plastic) base the hair will shed quicker than a mesh base.

I am amazed that you don't seem to have been sold some kind of plan that involved several systems so that when yours wears out you can swap it over, so the old one can be repaired or thrown away.

Edited by HairToday72

Hello HairToday, thanks for what you wrote, funnily enough my girlfriend has mentioned Watchdog and giving them a call about it all. Yes I did sign something and no it wasn't clearly pointed out. Would I have a leg to stand on with a credit card payment that I made?

I was told (when I asked) that the guarantee was for 6 months, what I wasn't told that was the hair on it was guaranteed for only 2 months! The 'membrane' itself is apparently guaranteed for 6 months. When you purchase it you get a 'special' hair brush which has about one fifth the amount of prongs on it compared to normal hair brushes!

Yes they have offered me 'extra' ones (the membranes with hair), but I would have to pay again. They told me one, if I looked after it, should last maybe up to 2 years. Well it certainly doesn't seem to be. The hair stylist at the last appointment there did mention that I should really have more than one. I don't want to buy another one so soon, they're not exactly cheap. They did use cleverly terminology when I purchased it too. I was told it would match my hair, it did for a few weeks, but the thickness did not match the surrounding hair, and the hairline wasn't the same.

Yes it's that 'poly' base you mention. Designed for people who do sports, ie it's perforated for a slight breath ability. Alarmingly though, the hair I had underneath, my hair, has not grown back after a couple of 'refusions' as they call it, where they take the 'membrane' off, clean it and re adhere it to the scalp with 'surgical glue'.

Hi steve,

I doubt you could claim on your credit card if the small print says 2 month guarantee on the hair, 6 months on the base. What is totally outragous is what use is the base stuck to your head without any hair in it after 2 months. As for lasting 2 years, no chance. The only way it would last 2 years is if you didn't wear it. If you had six units and rotated them on every visit, that might work I suppose.

All the scientific terminology bamboosals you into thinking it's some kind of state of the art medical procedure. most people would go running out the shop after being told they were going to stick a toupee to your head with pva craft glue.

Hair not matching is down to what was ordered and the skill of the stylist. I found a good stylist could do wonders with anything, they have tools to thin out the hair to blend it etc. What are you going to do now?. If your system is worn out it could take upto 8 wks to get another one custom made. you might be able to get a stock system quickly.

You didn't say what you paid but I would tell them your not paying any more than 500 pounds and that's it's. Shop around mate there are quite a few companies out there who do exactly the same thing cheaper.

That's interesting what you said about your hair not growing bk underneath. I long though that all the chemicals (solvents and adhesives) contributed to accelerating my hair loss.

Edited by HairToday72

• 2 months later...

Has anyone had any job with compensation from AHS?

I paid them ?2k for 6 months of laser therapy which was absolute bullcrap and ruined me not just financially but this was time when i was losing most hair and if i had simply managed to discover Fin then i am certain my hair would be thicker than it is now.

Even if AHS just gave me FIN, stuck my head under laser for 6 months for ?2k i wouldnt have minded!

Hello, compensation? Well I'm trying that with AHS now, I ordered one of their 'membranes' and had it fitted, I used it for 5 months, it was one thing after another, the thing changed colour, it didn't match the thickness of my own hair and the hair fell out of it after 4 months, I wish I'd never gone to them.

I bought it with a credit card and have put a claim for a refund in with the bank, which I am legally allowed to do if the goods are not up to scratch, and I'm currently 3-4 weeks into HSBC's 'investigation' of the claim. Thing is, AHS will have all the replies and responses under the sun to try and worm their way out of it. Every time I went back they always had a new answer which involved me parting with yet more cash.

I await the next letter from HSBC. I feel a bit helpless waiting for the bank to sort it out, if it's not sorted out then I will try and take it further. Be warned anyone using this company.

Hi steve,

I doubt you could claim on your credit card if the small print says 2 month guarantee on the hair, 6 months on the base. What is totally outragous is what use is the base stuck to your head without any hair in it after 2 months. As for lasting 2 years, no chance. The only way it would last 2 years is if you didn't wear it. If you had six units and rotated them on every visit, that might work I suppose.

All the scientific terminology bamboosals you into thinking it's some kind of state of the art medical procedure. most people would go running out the shop after being told they were going to stick a toupee to your head with pva craft glue.

Hair not matching is down to what was ordered and the skill of the stylist. I found a good stylist could do wonders with anything, they have tools to thin out the hair to blend it etc. What are you going to do now?. If your system is worn out it could take upto 8 wks to get another one custom made. you might be able to get a stock system quickly.

You didn't say what you paid but I would tell them your not paying any more than 500 pounds and that's it's. Shop around mate there are quite a few companies out there who do exactly the same thing cheaper.

That's interesting what you said about your hair not growing bk underneath. I long though that all the chemicals (solvents and adhesives) contributed to accelerating my hair loss.

Hello, thanks for this post. Well the legal spiel on the 1982 (I think it was then) act says goods have to be of a certain standard and fit for use. I've taken out a claim with HSBC for a full refund which I am fully entitled to do. I should know the outcome in the next couple of weeks. I've written a couple of letters to HSBC in reply to their questions to me, I feel a bit frustrated because it's like a tennis match, the bank I'm sure will go back and forth between me and the AHS Studio with questions, before drawing their conclusions. The thing I don't like about it is AHS will have all the answers under the sun to come back with. I'm sure they've had to deal with this sort of thing before. That's the annoying thing. They'll be savy.

Hello, compensation? Well I'm trying that with AHS now, I ordered one of their 'membranes' and had it fitted, I used it for 5 months, it was one thing after another, the thing changed colour, it didn't match the thickness of my own hair and the hair fell out of it after 4 months, I wish I'd never gone to them.

I bought it with a credit card and have put a claim for a refund in with the bank, which I am legally allowed to do if the goods are not up to scratch, and I'm currently 3-4 weeks into HSBC's 'investigation' of the claim. Thing is, AHS will have all the replies and responses under the sun to try and worm their way out of it. Every time I went back they always had a new answer which involved me parting with yet more cash.

I await the next letter from HSBC. I feel a bit helpless waiting for the bank to sort it out, if it's not sorted out then I will try and take it further. Be warned anyone using this company.

Well i hope you get some success from your claim, i for one having not even paid on a credit card seem to have little hope in retracting any of the money given.

I am however contemplating press exposure if i can get local paper to do a piece on the AHS branch where I live to see if this will at least prewarn some people as well as damage business slightly

Well I am hoping the same, if things do not go well at the Bank I will look to press exposure. Apparently they have been on a BBC Watchdog article. I expressed that in my letter of complaint to the bank. I may well pursue it again with them (Watchdog) and remind them that their story was not the only one of complaint from a customer. The internet is here and it allows access to many contacts, it is only fair we use them. I would love to know your story please.

regards

Well I am hoping the same, if things do not go well at the Bank I will look to press exposure. Apparently they have been on a BBC Watchdog article. I expressed that in my letter of complaint to the bank. I may well pursue it again with them (Watchdog) and remind them that their story was not the only one of complaint from a customer. The internet is here and it allows access to many contacts, it is only fair we use them. I would love to know your story please.

regards

Happy to share my story especially if it is going to Watchdog, i could then try and see how local AHS store feels or even cares about the plan and see if they jump up and take note and do something about it (although i doubt it)

Hello HairToday, just an update on previous messages about AHS. I have cut my ties with AHS and left it in the hands of the Bank regarding Compensation. AHS are very careful and clever with their words. Everytime I communicated with them it was to pacify me and offer me a 'deal' or something else I needed to buy. It's 5 weeks into my claim now. I've had a letter from the bank regarding a follow up to my initial letter, I have sent off another letter regarding my disappointment with the whole situation and that I don't want to talk with them, it's not in my nature to do confrontations. I don't like playing the waiting game though, especially when a company like that will have every reply under the sun to worm their way out of things.

regards

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, well it certainly sounds as if your experience was similar to mine. Can I ask how you paid? I am still awaiting my outcome from my credit card company regarding my claim against the company, like you they kept telling me everything was 'fixable'. Of note Advanced Hair Studio do not actually make these items themselves, they farm it out to another company so it's natural that they'll put up a fight because they would have to foot the bill for any replacements.

Hello. I had a similar situation in that the company have offered to 'fix' the problem, this stated on receiving a fresh letter from my Bank about what AHS said. I wrote back explaining that a 'fix' was not the order of the day and that the whole practise of selling the item and the results were beyond any kind of fix situation and the goods sold were not 'fit for the intended purpose', (which is the key legal phrase that is written down in the law). The Bank then replied to me two weeks later saying they had got in touch with AHS again regarding this reply and that they had hear d nothing from AHS in return. The bank said they would send a follow up letter with an ultimatum to reply with 3 weeks.

We will see. I, like you, have been on contact with the Financial Ombundsmen, they have explained I have done the correct thing with this procedure and that I should sit tight and wait for the reply. if no success myself then I will take it further too. You paid ?2500? I paid ?1500 for my partial frontal. Plus about ?400 odd in various lotions, potions and, not to mention the 'servicing'. I'm not asking for that, just my initial outlay for the product.