Dr. Woods?

Follicular Unit Extractions-Thinking about going to Dr. Woods

Is it true FUE's start growing immediately?Or is it the same 3 month wait?

Has anyone had work done by Dr. Woods?

Follicular Unit Extractions-Thinking about going to Dr. Woods

Is it true FUE's start growing immediately?Or is it the same 3 month wait?

Has anyone had work done by Dr. Woods?

And is it true there is no shedding involved ? This is very intriguing and im willing to go to Australia if this is all true or is it still skeptically unproven

There was a minor firestorm on this site a while back over Dr. Woods. A bunch of guys were interested in using him (and a couple had actually used him). But they were catching a lot of heat from naysayers, who claimed it was all a hoax (in some cases) or that they would "believe it when they see it". Since then, the guys interested in Woods have mostly moved on to friendlier websites. But all those older posts about Dr. Woods are still here, if you do a search for them.

Since then, a couple of other doctors have jumped on the "no strip-excision" method, in particular Dr. Jones in Canada. This approach is still controversial, and to be honest I think that is partly because it could completely change the way doctors have to run their businesses. Some people find that threatening to the "status quo" and so that opens Dr. Woods and Dr. Jones up for attack.

I'm digressing, sorry.

One reason Dr. Woods' claim of "no shock fallout" could be true, is that he uses incredibly poweful magnification to create the recipient sites for the grafts. Most doctors use "jeweler's loops" for this step, which are not as powerful. Another factor might be that Dr. Woods apparently makes each recipient site "one by one" and it is done very deliberately. Most other docs make all the recipient sites all at once, very rapidly. This is more traumatic to the scalp overall (in my opinion). Even though you still have the same number of holes, having hundreds of them made in the span of a few minutes (rather than throughout the entire day, as Woods does) is more of a shock to the system.

Then there is the issue of shock to the system due to the removal of the donor strip itself. Woods' method of harvesting is less traumatic, because he moves single grafts one by one, with no donor strip removal. Finally, because Woods technique is more time consuming, the most he seems to do is 600 grafts in a single day. This is a lot less than a 2400 graft "megasession" and again, is less stressfull and less traumatic. In my opinion, it could very well explain his claims of "no shock fallout".

Of course this is all controversial at this point, so please make up your own minds. I try to avoid "campaigning" for Woods here, because many guys here don't share my opinion, or don't think a linear donor scar is a big deal. Different strokes for different folks, but I think what Dr. Woods has done is an exciting improvement to the field.

Here's a couple of websites, if you want to read up. But please, lets not flame each other over this stuff...

Dr. Woods' site: http://www.4hair.com.au/

An interview with Dr. Jones: Dr. Jones Interview

Here's Dr. Jones' website, it doesn't have all the current information about his approach though... this is a relatively recent development: Dr. Jones' website

By the way, Dr. Jones has been on Pat's recommended list. Hopefully Pat finds his new approach "up to snuff" and keeps recommending him: Dr. Jones "recommended" info

By the way, clinics besides Woods who use this technique (Dr. Jones, Dr. Rassman of NHI) refer to it as "FUE" which means "Follicular Unit Extraction". It's moving FU grafts "one by one". These doctors are still using Follicular Unit grafts, which are the foundation of a good hair transplant!!! The main thing these doctors disagree about is "how to harvest the grafts".