Donor Site Itching

Guest dude1

Anyone had experience with excessive donor site itching? Especially bothersome when one wakes up at night with it. My itching is continuing 4-5 months post op. If anyone has found a solution to this problem, please let me know how you solved it. (I've also had a few experiences like this with the recipient area where I've accidently dislodged a graft or 2 and caused some bleeding, but fortunately this has been rare.) It's hard to avoid scratching in one's sleep! Thanks for any help.

Anyone had experience with excessive donor site itching? Especially bothersome when one wakes up at night with it. My itching is continuing 4-5 months post op. If anyone has found a solution to this problem, please let me know how you solved it. (I've also had a few experiences like this with the recipient area where I've accidently dislodged a graft or 2 and caused some bleeding, but fortunately this has been rare.) It's hard to avoid scratching in one's sleep! Thanks for any help.

I had a similar reaction. I am now 5 1/2 months post op, and sometimes my donor area felt like chicken pox. I had to restrain myself for about 4 months post op to keep from scratching at times. It actually started probably a month post op, and it lasted for about 2 1/2 - 3 months following that. The area did not itch all the time, but when it did...it was hard to keep from scratching. I did find it beneficial to put an antibiotic ointment around the area (i.e. Cortaid) when it started to itch, and that did help subside it. It also kept me from itching scabs off and likely slowing the healing process, so I would recommend trying that approach.