Shock Loss Question

mikeNYC

New REAL Hair Club Member posted September 24, 2002 02:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Great Forum ! Very glad i stumbled upon it. Im 29 yrs receding towards the temples and looking to restore my frontal hairline. I must say this Shock Loss thing i wasnt aware about. I really would like to get HT but not at the risk of possibly losing hair at the same time(kind of defeats the purpose in my case at least ). On the crown and top of my head its nearly full. My questions are ....Does shock loss occurr in the first few weeks/months? Will it all come back or some might not? Will i see shock loss in just the hair transpanted area or to the top of my head where its full? Will HT NOW directly effect my losing hair down the road in other parts also? Sorry for all the questions but i want to be sure before i go through with it. I thank you for your reponses. Take care.

mikeNYC

New REAL Hair Club Member posted September 24, 2002 02:51 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Great Forum ! Very glad i stumbled upon it. Im 29 yrs receding towards the temples and looking to restore my frontal hairline. I must say this Shock Loss thing i wasnt aware about. I really would like to get HT but not at the risk of possibly losing hair at the same time(kind of defeats the purpose in my case at least ). On the crown and top of my head its nearly full. My questions are ....Does shock loss occurr in the first few weeks/months? Will it all come back or some might not? Will i see shock loss in just the hair transpanted area or to the top of my head where its full? Will HT NOW directly effect my losing hair down the road in other parts also? Sorry for all the questions but i want to be sure before i go through with it. I thank you for your reponses. Take care.

Shock loss is a definite possibility. The more hair you have in the area the grafts are being placed the more at risk you are. For most it is not cosmetically noticeable, occurs in the first few weeks after transplant and then grows back over the next several months. You have to be very careful to match the angle and direction of the existing hairs and use very small needles to make the site holes in effort to minimize this risk.

You also sound like a good candidate for Propecia and Rogaine. They can prevent additional loss down the road. Transplantation does not affect future loss. Also, be carefully with hairline design. The design does not only need to be appropriate now, but also when you are 49 or 59 years old.

Dr. Brad Limmer/jal

Dr. Limmer