How to hide an HT

Looking for advice in hiding an HT. Existing hair is longer and while transplant hair is growing in it is very obvious. Don't want to buzz cut my head and have had bad luck using toppik, probably because I don't know how to use it. Any tricks out there? Thanks

Looking for advice in hiding an HT. Existing hair is longer and while transplant hair is growing in it is very obvious. Don't want to buzz cut my head and have had bad luck using toppik, probably because I don't know how to use it. Any tricks out there? Thanks

Yeah, it's called a hat. I prefer wearing either a Boston Red Sox hat or Adidas and on rare occasions because black just isn't my color, you'll see me sporting a Oakland Raider hat.

Just joking jonesy... I wear my hair long too so, I know it does look funny but I've been wearing a hat for years (hopefully, for only a while longer.) Really, I have no clue because I've never used concealers and one certainly can't wear a hat if their going to work in a suit and tie. What are the circumstances surrounding the cover up. Work? Social? Have you tried a bandanna.

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

Originally posted by jonesy:

I don't think it's nearly as obvious as you think. It really depends on how long your existing hair is and how much coverage it actually provides, but really the hair growing in is very undetectable. It's the post-op redness that you have to worry about covering up. Once the transplanted hairs shed, they regrow SO gradually that it's like watching grass grow, paint dry, or water evaporate. Seriously.

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you say its obvious? Doesn't it look like you have new hair growing in? That's what I've been told. it would suck if you could tell that it was a transplant. What NW class are you??

Originally posted by jonesy:

Thanks. Maybe I'll experiment with a different hair cut or stay out of the public eye for the next year. If I come with something I'll be sure to post it. Thanks again.

There really shouldn't be a need to stay out of public for any length of time. After all, you are getting the procedure done to bolster your confidence and to enhance your life, correct? Becoming a hermit and losing a year of your life is hardly enhancement.

Invest in a high-end hair stylist pre-op and tell him/her your plans. Higher-end sylists consider themselves professionals and will work with you to formulate a "plan of attack," per se, that can work to effectively seam your current hair with your transplanted hair. You may pay a little extra in hair cuts, but the turst that you have in a good stylist is something that is definitely worth paying a little more for.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

It depends who you go to.If you go to a top notch surgeon using state of the art tech,a few weeks or maybe a bit more. If you go to MHR a 5 gallon bucket with eye slots should suffice indefinately.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

It depends who you go to.If you go to a top notch surgeon using state of the art tech,a few weeks or maybe a bit more. If you go to MHR a 5 gallon bucket with eye slots should suffice indefinately.

That's funny...

zdfger... obviously if you have "new" growing hair where there once was none, people that you interact with frequently, will notice. Now if they can tell if it is a transplant or not depends on the skill of the surgeon. You may be able to tell them a new drug is responsible for the growth, that junk laser comb, a shampoo, that you wished it to grow back real hard (and it did) or if their really stupid, you can tell them that you been shaving your hair or plucking it out for years to make you look balding/bald and you now decided to let it grow back. I don't know but, the people I know aren't that naive.

Certainly, the less hair you begin with, the more obvious a HT will look. I assume, someone that has not lost a lot a hair and is in the beginning stages of losing their hairline can pull this off.

But like Robert said, one gets an HT to enhance their life not to hide-out. If you can't hide it for the first few weeks or so, just be prepared to take some abuse from your friends, family, neighbors, hairstylist, co-workers, boss, the ladies at the food mart, dentist, doctor, pharmacist, peers, mail man, and so on. But the good news is all those pricks have a short memory and you can replace them all or move out of town and bury your head in the sand or under a Red Sox hat like me, which isn't a change because I've been wearing one for years. However, in six months or so... I won't give a crap about what they have to say anymore. I'm happy I did it. The bad part now is I'll have to slowly remove my dependency from that stupid cap.

Which is worse: let people know about your new HT early and witness slow steady growth or hiding it entirely and start slowly showing your new hair off at 8 or 6 months. It is a dilemma either way. So, pick your poison and go for it!

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

i would try toppik, just sprinkle a little in your balding spot. if you still have hair uptop it will stick great. if not, you are just smearing dust on your scalp.

Take a look at this post op pic I took 4 days post. Imagine how I felt!! no hats at work. the first 3 months sucked so bad sometimes i didnt know what to think. after taking these pics I did cut it down a little in front, but what do you do when you got stiches in the back, grafts in the middle and older grafts up front (and the doctor shaves you head for the HT). i even tried toppik! that was just a mess. i couldnt imagine what my coworkers thought. nightmare. almost 4 months later i think they probably forgot... but that time was hard time.

4dayspostop.jpg.a0b92fe18f32ed208a4c6c6e35fcfd57.jpg

630 FUT - 8/27/03

2200 FUT - 5/20/05

2000 FUT - 12/15/07

"i haven't been this bald since.... well... since I was born!"

This is a tough part of having cosmetic surgery. Do you tell your relatives, friends, and coworkers or not? If you are really bald like BaldCasanova (before HT), I think you are better off just coming out with it because everyone is going to know anyway. Why not talk about it and not stress over it? However, if you have some hair and you just want to look like your younger self, then it becomes more of a dilema. With todays advanced procedures that look natural, the first month is really the only time to worry. Do whatever you can (toppik, hat, creative hair styling) to cover up the recipient area. After that 1st month or so, it should be hard to tell that anything was done. When the hairs start coming in, you'll feel so much better about yourself that you won't care anymore.

jonesy, Have you done the deal already? After mine and the routine two weeks off, the only thing was a really read forehead where Dr Keene planted the new crop. It was red to me but porbably not many others, while it was growing in I just used a nice color makeup powder my wife gave me. The reality in the work situation is while some may have a passing interest and ask, no one really cares what you look like (other than yourself and your significant other). Most will think "good for you, hope it works out". But to us its easy to obsess on it but try not to think about it and give it some time. A few months goes a long way