Multiple sessions and numbness

I'm wondering from those here that have had multiple procedures, specifically 3 or more, how the bodies physiology in general heals the nerves in the scalp, in the donor area that is. Did you have increased numbing long term or permanent from which you would attribute to too many passes on the nerves? Small little areas or overall, above the donor scar that just didn't recover fully or would you say that 3 or more procedures doesn't really have a risk of this nature?

Rambler

I'm wondering from those here that have had multiple procedures, specifically 3 or more, how the bodies physiology in general heals the nerves in the scalp, in the donor area that is. Did you have increased numbing long term or permanent from which you would attribute to too many passes on the nerves? Small little areas or overall, above the donor scar that just didn't recover fully or would you say that 3 or more procedures doesn't really have a risk of this nature?

Rambler

Rambler,

I'm very qualified to chime in on this one. After my first two procedures with Dr. Norris back in the nineties my donor area was numb for nine years. NINE! After Dr. Wong consolidated my first two scars in my first procedure with him the feeling came back and after three more sessions, two hair transplants and a tricho session, I have at least 98% of my feeling back.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

How could you handle the doner area being numb for nine years. Was it just along the scar or the whole back of your head. And how could Dr. Wong get your feeling back. I am confused what was wrong and what fixed it.

Gizmo,

Ah, more for you to worry about! How is your donor feeling, any better??

I think Joe is referring to the old scarring being removed during the strip taken from Dr. Wong. Scar tissue is of course not going o have the nerve regrowh if it is too wide. A good thin scar and closure will heal better and your scalp will feel quite normal.

Since you had a great doc, I am sure you will feel fine in a few months back there.

NoBuzz

Joe,

Are you talking about your brain? Don't sell yourself short--you've surpassed 9 years of being numb. icon_smile.gif

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

We also have to remember that physician selection is vital to minimize the risks of ongoing numbness etc.

Gizmo, you've selected a fine physician in Dr. Alexander, and I don't believe you are going to have to worry about nine years of numbness.

Clearly when Joe selected Dr. Wong, he made the right choice also. My best guess, is resealing of the donor after removing the old scars, gave the nerves a new chance to bond and give feeling back to those areas. Perhaps a physician can chime in on this one.

Bill