help with swelling

rb1

Hi, I had 2100 Fu's done on tuesday. everything went fine until swelling set in. I iced and massaged since coming home. unfortunately, it didnt help and now i have one eye swollen shut. Anyone have any ideas on how long this should last and what to do? Also they think i have an allergic reaction to the dissovable sutchers. anyone experience this?

Hi, I had 2100 Fu's done on tuesday. everything went fine until swelling set in. I iced and massaged since coming home. unfortunately, it didnt help and now i have one eye swollen shut. Anyone have any ideas on how long this should last and what to do? Also they think i have an allergic reaction to the dissovable sutchers. anyone experience this?

Hi rb1,

I experienced swelling after my first HT too. It started on day 3 and lasted until day 6 or 7. My eyes didn't swell shut, but they were both black and blue like I had been on the losing end of a bad fight and the bridge of my nose and forehead were large too. I basically looked like a fat guy (I only weigh 165 pounds!)

Just apply ice packs to the area (try not to touch the grafts though) and the swelling should go away in a few days. Keep your head above your heart - no bending over or exercise. Apparently the swelling is most common after a first HT, I did not experience hardly any swelling the second time. Just hang in there, all should be well in a few days.

Hi all,

I had first HT done 5 months ago. My Dr. prescribed Medrol (prednisone?). I can't remember for sure, but I think I took a dosage that was gradually reduced over the course of five days. I also slept upright in a chair for 3 nights - not very pleasant, but tolerable. I know two other patients who had same protocol with this DR. None of us had post-op swelling. The surgeon said this approach reduced risk of serious post-op swelling, but did not eliminate the risk altogther. Is this post-op tx standard, or is my Dr. doing his own thing?

rb1,

Dude, hand in there. The swelling will go away almost as fast as it came.

Same thing happened to me. I was told to expect a little swelling...shoot...I had alot. It came day 3. The "lightly" massaging around the eye seemed to help in that area, however, the swelling I had around the ears to the jaw bone on each side...nothing helped. Not even ice.

Then, around day 6 or 7, it was gone. So, just hang in there.