New Sheriff

bezane

Greetings everyone. Just back from Tucson. Piece of cake. Dr. Keene never leaves the room. Places nearly every graft. Dispenses great drugs. What can I say.

Let me nit pick. Maybe if Doc charged more she could have one of those slick op rooms with 42" flat screens, black and chrome everywhere, macadamians in the sterling candy dishes etc. etc. Lunch was not great. But they did their best to accomodate me with my strict no meat/high protein diet. I think I slept through it all, but remember everything if you get the feeling. Kind of out of body.

No pain. Went to dinner that night, the next night and slept comfotably. 2500 grafts, little crown work to go. So I figure two small to moderate more sessions or one large one. Up to her.

This was my third. One botched corn row hustle from NuHart in '94 (forget Bosley,remember those butchers?), a fix and 600 additional micros from Unger '99 and another 700 micros from him also '99. And now the real deal.

The assistants are all very experienced, average 7 years there and personable.

For most it's too early to tell but with my experience, I know that I'm loaded up. Total time....ten hours.

Go there. You won't be the least bit disappointed.

Thanks to Gorpy for encouragement.

Greetings everyone. Just back from Tucson. Piece of cake. Dr. Keene never leaves the room. Places nearly every graft. Dispenses great drugs. What can I say.

Let me nit pick. Maybe if Doc charged more she could have one of those slick op rooms with 42" flat screens, black and chrome everywhere, macadamians in the sterling candy dishes etc. etc. Lunch was not great. But they did their best to accomodate me with my strict no meat/high protein diet. I think I slept through it all, but remember everything if you get the feeling. Kind of out of body.

No pain. Went to dinner that night, the next night and slept comfotably. 2500 grafts, little crown work to go. So I figure two small to moderate more sessions or one large one. Up to her.

This was my third. One botched corn row hustle from NuHart in '94 (forget Bosley,remember those butchers?), a fix and 600 additional micros from Unger '99 and another 700 micros from him also '99. And now the real deal.

The assistants are all very experienced, average 7 years there and personable.

For most it's too early to tell but with my experience, I know that I'm loaded up. Total time....ten hours.

Go there. You won't be the least bit disappointed.

Thanks to Gorpy for encouragement.

• Administrators

Bezane,

Congratulations on a successful surgical experience. Thanks for sharing the details. Quality care and good drugs beat slick amenities any time.

If you can post any photos that would be great.

Best wishes for a bumper crop.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Pics would be great.

I am considering Dr. Keene as well. I like her hands on approach. Does she use custom cut blades? What density do you feel you received? Does she use the new tricho (sp) method of closing the strip? Does she use lateral slits? I am concerned about shockloss as I have some natural hair left and would like to add thickness. Did she do any temple work (in front of the sideburns)?

Thanks!

Are you the real Buddy Ebsen? Transplants after the age of 80 or death are usually not recommended. Anyway, She's doing all the best stuff. Blades, closures etc. But the point is, that adding density to existing real hair is unpredictable. How do you know that hair you have left is staying? Are you on a proven propecia regimen? I'm not. I'm just going with the fact that just about everything I have will go. Just don't go by her website. Go see her. She'll show exact pics that will coincide with your situation.

Without starting any problems with some excellent doctors that are great and part of the coalition, she's setting a standard that will be difficult to match. Remember, no matter how good they are, when game day comes, will your surgeon's regimen and work ethic stand up? That will become the new prevailing question in this game. The techniques are out there and available to them all. Looking through a microscope for ten hours four days a week takes a special person. A monster in the patience department, a tenacity that will answer any challenge.

It sounds a bit strange, but that's what I want is someone that's with me through thick and thin for ten hours. Tireless. A self assured attitude that they are the best and need to prove it each day. No resting on laurels.

Go to Tucson, look her in the eye. And beside seeing an absolute knockout of a woman in every way, you'll see all that's required to get what you need. Every case is different. And we should all hope to be seen that way.

Best of luck.

I think Bezane said it best. Every case is different. Yes, she uses trico, lateral slit, custom blades etc. But, lateral slit for every follicle is not always appropriate. She will follow your existing hair pattern to match up perfectly.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I have to say that Dr. Keene, judging by all the positive experiences shared on this site, is THE foremost doctor in the Southwest, bar none. consistently very good, spends all her time with the patient (which is rare) and delivers a great crop of hair. I will consider her for my next HT. Thanks for sharing bezane and best of luck!

I spoke with Dr. Keene in regards to the website, the internet, pictures etc. And her point was one of being somewhat disinterested which I interpreted as a very positive thing. I think she feels too much internet presence is like advertising which she is totally against. She has a very full life, zero office time besides surgeries and consultations. She's aware from time to time what transpires here, knows the pics on her website probably don't measure up to her work, but I think she fancies herself as being a plastic surgeon that would like a stellar reputation based on referral. This is not only a desire but a unique perspective of not being involved in the tit for tat comparisons of other doctors, and furthermore, wanting to be anywhere, but in the middle of any debate. Some doctors choose to spend their time differently.

Lots of good doctors out there, but amazingly apparent is that the percentage of first-rate HT surgeons is drastically lower than any other field, cosmetic or otherwise. Like I said before, I like Dr. Keene because I have confidence in her ability to pay close attention to me while I'm in her operating room. As far as technique goes, if that's a concern, then a doctor should not be considered at all. Anyone considered should have nothing but the state-of-the-art techniques at their disposal. Because some revelations are new to US, doesn't mean you base a decision on discovering that a doctor already employs this strategy or knows about it. We should assume they do.

Here, meaning on a website as good as Pat has put out, you should learn who's who, where they are, read and seek out sound advice, and then visit perspective doctors. Only then will you KNOW.

I also visited Dr. Alexander. He seems to be great.

Bezane, I hold Dr. Keene in the highest regard, but I feel differently about internet exposure. Imagine a professional or doctor being criticized by lay people, like myself? I think this lies at the heart of not wanting to be involved or exposed, period. I think the first place we as balding men look is on the internet for information, so the exposure could help some guy from going to a butcher, etc... In addition, I think as a member of the coalition, every doctor has a responsibility to chime in from time to time, and post results/updates of patients, especially now that we are seeing graft sessions of 4, 5, and 6 thousand happening. I think if you are one of the best, you owe it to US, the sufferers, to be visible and available which means targeting the internet. Just my opinion, though....... I still think she is a hell of a surgeon and is selling herself short.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.