Consulatation with Dr. Seager

Hello,

I had my consultation with Dr. Seager and I must say that I was very impressed. He is very professional and spent a good deal of time with me. My question is, Dr. Seager does not use the lateral slit technique and instead his technicians make all the incisions and I was just wondering why using the lateral slit technique is supposted to be the best technique available. Dr. Seager appears to be one of the best in the business so it seems strange to me that he wouldn't use the "best" technique. His technicians make all the incisions as well and normally you would want the Dr. to make the hairline incisions but this technique seems to be working for him. Just wanted to get other people's thoughts. As I mentioned though Dr. Seager REALLY impressed me.

Hello,

I had my consultation with Dr. Seager and I must say that I was very impressed. He is very professional and spent a good deal of time with me. My question is, Dr. Seager does not use the lateral slit technique and instead his technicians make all the incisions and I was just wondering why using the lateral slit technique is supposted to be the best technique available. Dr. Seager appears to be one of the best in the business so it seems strange to me that he wouldn't use the "best" technique. His technicians make all the incisions as well and normally you would want the Dr. to make the hairline incisions but this technique seems to be working for him. Just wanted to get other people's thoughts. As I mentioned though Dr. Seager REALLY impressed me.

Many doctors still employ other types of incisions. However, where this really makes a difference is the hairline and how the hairline goes into native hair, and is where the lateral slit allows density to be acheived without a "wall" of hair appearing on your head. Lateral slits allow more control over how the hair exits the scalp (NATURAL LOOK), so while a doctor can use saggital/coronal incisions in the mid-scalp/crown areas, it is imperative that the lateral slit be used in the hairline. I respect Dr. Seagers work, and if you only need work in the mid-scalp or crown areas, be all means, go to him. Not for hairlines, without using lateral slits.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

I wouldn't want techs doing the incisions, but the lateral slit orthodoxy as summarized above sounds overstated. Needless to say, the scholastic debates about slit orientations will rage on, but one of Shapiro's techs stated on here just last week that their practice has observed no advantage using lateral slits over other orientations, and they do some of the best hairlines in the world. I think doctors such as Keene, True, and others would disagree with the lateral orthodoxy as well, as they mix up their slit orientations as well. Sometimes there seems to be a fine line on this board b/w patient education and clinics selling their particular approach as the best (see Pat's post on whores, shills, pimps, etc.). Don't believe the hype entirely; Seager also did Dr. Feller's hairline, and that one looks pretty damn good to me. I think Seager is a solid choice.

Originally posted by the B spot:

Many doctors still employ other types of incisions. However, where this really makes a difference is the hairline and how the hairline goes into native hair, and is where the lateral slit allows density to be acheived without a "wall" of hair appearing on your head. Lateral slits allow more control over how the hair exits the scalp (NATURAL LOOK), so while a doctor can use saggital/coronal incisions in the mid-scalp/crown areas, it is imperative that the lateral slit be used in the hairline. I respect Dr. Seagers work, and if you only need work in the mid-scalp or crown areas, be all means, go to him. Not for hairlines, without using lateral slits.

It's amazing you say this when the lead medical tech at Shapiro Medical, where you had your own transplant, had this to say (to clarify, this was not in relation to your specific transplant, it was another transplant peformed by Dr. Paul Shapiro, Dr. Ron's brother, at the clinic):

"A question was raise by "so tired" a while back as to whether Dr. Paul used lateral incisions on you. The answer to that is "no". Dr. Paul uses acute sagital incisions only. He follows the direction of the existing hairs to determine the angle and direction. Our clinic has done extensive comparisions on both types of incisions to see which is more beneficial. The study is still ongoing, however, in Dr. Paul's opinion (and mine) there does not seem to be any difference after couple years worth of observations. Utilizing very small blades with proper angle for the incisions seem much more of a determining factor in getting great results."

link

If I said that a Bosley doctor was using the lateral slit method, and making all his own incisions, would that make you go there?

Spoon, my opinion only. I had lateral incisions in the front, coronal/saggital behind that. When Ron comes on the board and declares that Lateral Slits provide no benefit, then fine. Also, ongoing research is just that, ongoing.

When Ron does my next HT, I will be sure to have a detailed map of what where and why certain incisions were used, specific to my case. No I would not go to Bosley, and I don't understand your question to be honest.

Nikko, patients choice, and everyone is entitled. The guy asked for some opinions and he is getting some. I personally would not go to Seager for hairlines, which does not mean he is not a good choice, just that I personally would not go there at this time. (no lateral slits, and techincians making all incisions)I believe in Lateral Slits, and nothing anyone says or shows me can offer proof otherwise.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks Guys for all the information. Really it comes down to results and from what I've seen and read Seager is an excellent Dr. so I'm probably putting too much thought into this. I'm meeting with Rahal very soon and I'll see what he has to say. Seager uses a technique where the hair is inserted right after the incision is made which I would think would allow the hair to survive longer since it is immediately put into it's new home. We all know that little incisions like those used in HTs start to close up very quickly after making the incision. So, that being said, I would think that putting the hair into the incision immediately after it has been made would make more sense than waiting until the Dr. has finished making all the incisions.