Care after HT

A few questions:

How long does it take for grafts to get firmly embedded after a HT ?

Is it safe to gently massage the shampoo with fingers on the transplanted area after a week of surgery? If not, when is it safe ?

Are most of the transplanted hair shed along with the scabs ?

A few questions:

How long does it take for grafts to get firmly embedded after a HT ?

Is it safe to gently massage the shampoo with fingers on the transplanted area after a week of surgery? If not, when is it safe ?

Are most of the transplanted hair shed along with the scabs ?

I am a veteran of 6 HT. I usually used a cup of water when showering the first week. By the start of the second week you want to slowly and gently work the crusts off. It is good to soak them under the soft running shower, or with wet wash cloth first. This loosens them up. But there is nothing wrong with gently working the scalp after 1 week in the shower. That skin is healed and the danger of a graft coming dislodged is minimal from normal activities.

Best of Luck.

Ron

ps. Stay away from hair spray the first couple of weeks. I do not like putting anything with alcohol on my grafts.

Within a 2-3 days the grafts are fairky well embedded. The coagulum (platelets and associated wound healing factors) provide a cement for the grafts.Unless you traumatize them in some way the grafts should be fine.

I generally advise patients to avoid massaging the area for approximately one week.After that time gentle massage should be ok.

Dr. Rose,

I have a question for you. Why in the world would any of the so called "accepted" Drs. As Timetestefd would say, want to be a part of Pat's bogus referral list? Why would you "good" Drs. jeopardize your reputation by being a a part of this farce. I know that Parsley posts on this site, but I thought that the "accepted" Drs. Would have more sense than to self promote on a discussion forum.

I guess I was wrong.

Dan icon_wink.gif

Hey Dan, its pretty obvious to me from your post that you have an ax to grind with Pat for some reason. why don't you just come right out and tell us what it is? I happen to be one of the posters here that thinks Pat runs a useful site here. you don't have to agree with me, but your pointless attack on dr. rose is nothing but cheap trouble-making that serves no purpose but to waste people's time. Is it self-promoting when a doctor gives a useful answer to the guy's question? I don't think so, and its people like you who discourage doctors from participating more here because they understandably are not interested in cheap attacks on them when they take the time to give their opinions that can add value here to the discussions.