Spironolactone

Hi Tarasilk,

I just wanted know a little more about Spironolactone.

1. does it have any side effects

2. where can i get it

3. how much does it cost

4. Did it seem to really help slow down your hair loss, and are you still using it?

My hair loss is getting much worse and much more noticiable now. I think I have male pattern loss, but i am not really sure. I may have thinning all over. Most of my thinning is on top of my head, in the front, and also on the temples. I think i also have miniturized hair in my temple area.

Where was your hair loss and how did your HT go?

good i hope, I wish you much luck and happiness with your HT.

please let me know anything you can to help me.

thank you so much

Hi Tarasilk,

I just wanted know a little more about Spironolactone.

1. does it have any side effects

2. where can i get it

3. how much does it cost

4. Did it seem to really help slow down your hair loss, and are you still using it?

My hair loss is getting much worse and much more noticiable now. I think I have male pattern loss, but i am not really sure. I may have thinning all over. Most of my thinning is on top of my head, in the front, and also on the temples. I think i also have miniturized hair in my temple area.

Where was your hair loss and how did your HT go?

good i hope, I wish you much luck and happiness with your HT.

please let me know anything you can to help me.

thank you so much

"I am a woman",

Are you losing hair in a pattern similar to the ludwig scale or the norwood scale

Keep in mind that the only FDA approved hair loss medication for women is Minoxodil 2%.

I thought I'd do a little research for you...

Spironolactone (25mg, 50mg, 100mg), marketed as Aldactone, Novo-Spirotin, Spriactin, Spirotone, or Berlactone is a medication primarily used to treat high blood pressure. Ultimately it helps the body retain potassium while helping excrete water and sodium from the body. Typical dosage for this type of treatment is 25mg twice a day totalling 50mg.

Because of it's anti-androgen affects, it has been used as a treatment for hirsutism (excessive and unwated hair growth in women where the occurrence of terminal hair is typically minimal or nonexistant). It is also used as a component of hormonal therapy for those undergoing sex changes. And finally, it has been used as a female hair loss treatment or for high levels of acne in women.

I've read that studies suggest that one would need to take at least 200mg of this medication per day in order to potentially stop hair loss and most likely will not regrow any hair (reverse the miniaturization process).

Because of the extremely high dosage required to potentially fight against future loss, the patient could be at risk of developing hyperkalemia (an elevated blood level - above 5.0 mmol/L of the electrolyte potassium) among other side effects that I've listed below.

This medication seems to require a subscription and there are a number of possible side effects including:

1. numbness or a tingly sensation

2. slow, fast, or uneven heartbeat

3. muscle pain or weaknes

4. drowsiness, restlessness, or light-headedness

5. minimization or stoppage of urination

6. shallow breathing

7. tremors or confusion

8. nausea or stomach pain

9. low fever

10. loss of appetite

11. dark urine

12. clay-colored stools

13. jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes)

Less serious side effects are also reported:

1. mild nausea or vomiting

2. dizziness, headache

3. gas

4. stomach pain

5. skin rash

Conclusion:

Talk to a doctor and understand what you are getting yourself potentially into before using this medication as a hair loss treatment.

Sources:

Bernstein Medical

Wikipedia

Drugs.Com

Best wishes,

Bill

Hi! To answer your questions...YES, Spironolactone can have a number of side effects, and you have to be monitored carefully if you are on it, particularly on the higher doses (100-200mg day). Bill has listed the most common ones, and it really isn't a drug to be taken lightly.

I have a ongoing prescription for it, and it is covered by my insurance, so I just pay $10 a month. I really don't know what it would cost if I didn't have the prescription coverage. I do have an underlying medical condition though (apart from just the hairloss) for which my Dr. feels the prescription is warranted.

I don't think that the Spiro alone slowed down my hairloss, but it may have decreased the rate of loss I might otherwise have had, if that makes any sense.

Things are progressing OK with me...I will be 5 months post-HT this week. Most of my shockloss has already grown back, and I have noticeable improvement in certain spots. My hairloss also has aspects of a male pattern, with receded temples and a very weak front hairline. But, I also have some diffuse thinning on top as well.

PM me anytime you want to chat....and I'm sorry I wasn't able to answer you sooner. icon_smile.gif

TaraSilk

• 2 weeks later...

Bill, Thank you for the info about Spironolacone. I talked to my dermatologist about it and he says that he will not prescribe it to me, because of the side effects. He is refering me to an endocrynologist to have some more tests ran. He did not find anything out of the ordinary when he ran his own tests. Hopefully my hair loss situation can be helped in some kind of way. I got my fingers crossed.

thanks again

Tarasilk,

thank you for writing me back. I am glad to hear that your ht went well. You may have some of the same aspects of hair loss as me, but i dont know if i would be a good candidate for a ht. I have a lot of miniturized hair and my hair is thinned out a lot all over my head. Most of my hair loss is in the front though, so maybe something could still be done. Did you have a lot of thinning hair all over or just the pattern of male hair loss in the front? I hope you dont mind me asking, but any kind of advice from a woman who has been through hair loss problems, and then had a hair transplant that they are happy with is a very good person for me to learn from. thank you very much for any advice you can give me. And again i am happy that your hair transplant went well for you.