1st time post.

youngandthin

so i'm relatively new to this. and found this forum which is helping me a little bit. here's my story.

my mother has really thin hair. she looks good, just really thin. unfortunately i got it too. I've been thinning for about 5-6yrs. I'm 24 now. its gotten bad enough that I'm thinking about addressing the issue with an HT. i scheduled a bosely thing, but soon realized thats not the way to go. i have an apt. tomorrow actually with Dr. Haber in Cleveland. I'm sure ill have most of these questions answered then. i guess I'm just kind of worried because my balding is thinning. Evenly on the top of my head. So there aren't any "bald spots" just a general thin region. i have a feeling i wont be able to ever fix it because of the risk of shock loss to my existing hair. I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar case and what the options were. i feel like my thinning is more of a female pattern on the NW scale.

any words of wisdom?

thanks,

B

so i'm relatively new to this. and found this forum which is helping me a little bit. here's my story.

my mother has really thin hair. she looks good, just really thin. unfortunately i got it too. I've been thinning for about 5-6yrs. I'm 24 now. its gotten bad enough that I'm thinking about addressing the issue with an HT. i scheduled a bosely thing, but soon realized thats not the way to go. i have an apt. tomorrow actually with Dr. Haber in Cleveland. I'm sure ill have most of these questions answered then. i guess I'm just kind of worried because my balding is thinning. Evenly on the top of my head. So there aren't any "bald spots" just a general thin region. i have a feeling i wont be able to ever fix it because of the risk of shock loss to my existing hair. I'm just curious if anyone else has had a similar case and what the options were. i feel like my thinning is more of a female pattern on the NW scale.

any words of wisdom?

thanks,

B

I think the first question is :

Do you have Male pattern baldness or just thin hair? If it is thin hair I do not think a HT is the route to go. Rather, I would utilzie the hundreds of great products out there to cosmetically thicken it..

Have a any pics?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hello Y and T,

Seeing as you are young,Have you tried meds like rogaine or concealers like dermmatch or toppik?You might want to try these type of things and save a possible HT for last.Do lots of researching and welcome to this forum.

Dr Hasson 2-08

fixingit,

i am currently on propecia and have been for about 4 months, but i still have multiple hairs falling out everyday. my hair is relatively long on top and i usually have it forward or slightly to the side. though you can still tell there isnt much up there. i bought rogaine but it makes my hair greasy and un- manageable so i decided against it. i would prefer to not conceal it though with anything else. thats the biggest thing for me, im sick of trying to hide it. though i cant bring myself to have a buzz cut. i cut it short before and totally freaked out. i just want to wake up in the morning and be able to walk out the door and feel okay without spending a half hour in the bathroom.

The first thing you should do, is an in-person consult with a reputable hair doc,so they can look at your hair under magnafication to see if and how much miniaturization is occurring.

This way the Dr will know the best plan for you.

Dr Hasson 2-08

thank you guys for your advice. i had a consultation with dr. haber who is talked about on this site. as i had anticipated, i am not a good candidate for an HT. unfortunately for me, i am in a very awkward phase of hair loss, as i have hid it very well over the years and am now confronted with the decision to just cut it off and look "bald". its a very uncomfortable time for me and im sure many of you can relate. i just want to never have to think about it again. due to the fact that my hair is generally thin, and extremely thin on top (not to mention i am very young for this) i cant risk the shock loss or the fact that my hair at the donor area wont thin out in the future. everyday i wait for it to stop falling out. maybe tomorrow...

If I am understanding you correctly, Dr. Haber stated that you are NOT a good candidate for a HT? Are you asking us if you should shave your head or get a HT? If you are told by a reputable doc that you are not a candidate you need to heed his warning and just shave or cut hair short. Good luck with things.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

youngandthin,

Welcome to our forum community.

From the sounds of it, you are suffering from diffuse pattern baldness, like male pattern baldness, is genetic. But instead of losing hair according to the norwood scale, you may be experiencing thinning all over the top of your head.

In my opinion, you should considering Propecia and Rogaine as a combination treatment which are the two best non surgical treatments for stopping future hair loss and regrowinghair. Diffuse thinners are typically good responders to this treatment. Be sure to discuss the benefits, risks, and limitations of these medications with a physician.

Though this case is not typical, see the following hair loss Q&A blog originally posted on this forum by Janna of Shapiro Medical Group. This article and pictures show that Propecia and Rogaine really can regrow hair for some people after many months of use. Click here for more information and pictures.

In my opinion, give the medication at least 1 year (unless you experience side effects) to see how it is working for you before considering hair transplantation.

Best wishes,

Bill