New to the site...planning for HT....confused...help please

Hi,

My age is 25, I started observing hair loss since last 2-3 years. I started taking it seriously in last year. I tried several other things and decided to go for HT, finally.

Few Questions:

From various posts I found that younger age people should think before going for HT. I was wondering that at my age should I go for HT or not. For reference I am posting picture of my frontal hair line. I am not sure if my age is deciding factor for HT or not.

Also, what happens if I get my frontal hair line fixed by HT and then after few years I start loosing hair from crown area of my head. At this point I don't have hair loss in crown head but is it possible to prevent any more hair loss from any other part of the head.

Generally What percent of the total implanted hair graft grow normally. I am currently on regimen including Rogain (twice a day), saw palmetta(alternate to Propecia), Multi-vitamin, Iron complex, Calcium suppliment, Amino-acid and Nizoral.

Any suggestions in my Regimen. I need to make deicision about my HT soon and I am very confused...please help me make my decision making easier.

Thanks in advance

frontal_hairline.jpg.867898b0f594e4eb768c6c5709fdf25a.jpg

Hi,

My age is 25, I started observing hair loss since last 2-3 years. I started taking it seriously in last year. I tried several other things and decided to go for HT, finally.

Few Questions:

From various posts I found that younger age people should think before going for HT. I was wondering that at my age should I go for HT or not. For reference I am posting picture of my frontal hair line. I am not sure if my age is deciding factor for HT or not.

Also, what happens if I get my frontal hair line fixed by HT and then after few years I start loosing hair from crown area of my head. At this point I don't have hair loss in crown head but is it possible to prevent any more hair loss from any other part of the head.

Generally What percent of the total implanted hair graft grow normally. I am currently on regimen including Rogain (twice a day), saw palmetta(alternate to Propecia), Multi-vitamin, Iron complex, Calcium suppliment, Amino-acid and Nizoral.

Any suggestions in my Regimen. I need to make deicision about my HT soon and I am very confused...please help me make my decision making easier.

Thanks in advance

Ht4kd,

It seems as though you are missing the most important ingredient in your regimen: Propecia. Have you tried Propecia? For most people, Propecia will halt or severely slow down your hair loss. Propecia along with all the other ingredients in your regiemen may even provide you with some regrowth. If you've only been losing your hair for a couple of years, you can't have lost all that much. I would just stick to meds for the time being.

GuitarPlayer

Guitar is right

Screw the other stuff. Propecia is the only thing I use ( I hate Minoxidil as it is quite messy) beside Nizoral once a week. It stopped my hair loss and had sone slight regrowth.. That's good news for you

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

ht4kd,

GuitarPlayer and Mrjb have good advice for you. You're ripe to try Propecia. I've read about Saw Palmetto but my understanding is there's no proof it helps with hair loss.

From the side view pic it appears you may be starting to thin in the crown, too. Propecia may help you avoid a HT altogether.

The age of those having HT's seems to be getting younger and younger, but, using Propecia and a good hair care regimen may help you hold off awhile.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

ht4kd

As a young guy myself, one of the concerns I'd have in your position is how far is my hairloss going to progress?

The sorts of questions you should be asking are:

1. Are there any NW7's in my family.

2. What is the average level of hairloss in the men and women in my family?

3. How much hair can I expect to lose given the above information, and how will I factor this into my planning (ie - hairline placement, total donour availability, etc. have to be assessed. I recommend you stay pretty conservative and plan for a NW6 case - like I am).

4. Also remember to consider finances. How will you pay for more procedures in the next few years. (This point in particular I'd think about very carefully, given that your rate of hairloss seems to be pretty rapid). I personally, would wait for at least another 1-2 years to see how you respond to propecia - that is, I would not be getting a HT if you are not willing to take propecia (finasteride) for whatever reason.

Good luck.

Hello,

I greatly appreciate all of your feedbacks.

As UGLY MAN 4 LIFE suggested, I observed the current hair loss from full hair volume in around 4-6 years. Is it too fast, is there a way to estimate the future hair loss from this figures. In my family I haven't see NW7 (hair loss in 20's) cases. What is NW6 is it more yonger or older....?

As in my case if I decide to go for HT soon, can I do something to prevent further hair loss for sure. I don't want to wait for a year and see how much more hair loss I see down the path, instead can I get HT done with may be less graft at this point and then stick to the regimen for couple of year.

Also, I am more worried about the side effects of Propecia!...even though people have used it can any one tell me if they feel any signs of decrease in libido, etc etc.

ht4kd,

While hair loss is more associated with coming as we age, there's really no measurable relationship between age and the norwood scale. The rate of hair loss HIGHLY varies from one person to the next. Several make it to Norwood 6 or 7 before age 30. On the other hand, I've seen guys in their 40's who have a HT while being a Norwood 2 or 3. I was around Norwood 4+ before my first HT at age 38.

From your pics, and this is totally a guess mind you, you're thinning at a rate a little more rapid than average at age 25 and it appears you may have diffused thinning on top. Purely guesswork. There's no way to tell what your final stage of loss will be. Hair loss is genetically establish so seeing a family member's loss may help...........and it may not. I have a brother who has chia pet hair, he's 41. My father experienced hair loss but he lost his from front to back, mine has been from the crown forward icon_confused.gif. You can see a pattern start to establish as time passes, but there's no way to predict it.

Here's a link detailing the Norwood Scale that may be of help to you. From your post, I couldn't tell if you were familiar with it or not. For loss prevention, again, the only thing proven is Propecia. As for side effects, studies show less than 5% experience them. I've been taking it for 2 months now with no noticeable change. The only thing you can do is try and see. I hesitated taking it for years and now wish I had started earlier. There are plenty of threads here you can research to see if it's the choice for you.

You may want to search for threads on Nizoral and Nioxin also for a scalp and hair care regimen.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.