Looking for comments/suggestions for HT plan (25 yrs old)

Background: I started loosing my hair when I was 18. Then at 21 I started on propecia. Since that time (I am 25 now) my hairloss has slowed, but not stopped. In the past 3 years or so I would say that I have lost no more than an inch on both temples.

I still have a pretty good head of hair, and would estimate I am a NW2. I still can "fake" a full head of hair with a little convenient combing (spread those bangs!). My hair behind my recessed temple area is still very thick.

The Plan: After hawking this site for the past 4 years or so (has it been that long?) here is what I am planning. Sometime later this year (December preferably), or next summer, I would like to get a FUE transplant with Dr. Feller to create a solid mature hairline. I am young, so I do not want to be to aggressive--kiss the teenage hairline goodbye. Maybe something in the 800-1200 range. I am hoping that I maintain the hair behind the new hairline, but if I see that the hairloss becomes more aggressive I will shave my hair down (hoping less scaring w/ FUE) and wait until I need a megasession (H & W). Or, if the hairline looks okay with the thinning hair behind it, I will just sport that look until a megasession is needed.

I think this seems reasonable, and avoids most of the problems of getting a HT too young. The cost is not a concern (I'm not rich by any means, but my profession pays pretty well).

I can add pictures later, but for now I just want to know if, generally speaking, this seems like a good plan? You guys obviously know your stuff, so all comments, suggestions, and/or warnings are appreciated.

Sorry for the length, but after years of reading this site, I know that the more specific the better. I left off family background because it confuses me. My dad has a full head of hair, as do 2 of my mother's brothers. My other uncle on my mother's side is a NW 4 in his early fifties. However, from looking at his past pictures he seemed to be a diffuse thinner starting in his late 30's.

Background: I started loosing my hair when I was 18. Then at 21 I started on propecia. Since that time (I am 25 now) my hairloss has slowed, but not stopped. In the past 3 years or so I would say that I have lost no more than an inch on both temples.

I still have a pretty good head of hair, and would estimate I am a NW2. I still can "fake" a full head of hair with a little convenient combing (spread those bangs!). My hair behind my recessed temple area is still very thick.

The Plan: After hawking this site for the past 4 years or so (has it been that long?) here is what I am planning. Sometime later this year (December preferably), or next summer, I would like to get a FUE transplant with Dr. Feller to create a solid mature hairline. I am young, so I do not want to be to aggressive--kiss the teenage hairline goodbye. Maybe something in the 800-1200 range. I am hoping that I maintain the hair behind the new hairline, but if I see that the hairloss becomes more aggressive I will shave my hair down (hoping less scaring w/ FUE) and wait until I need a megasession (H & W). Or, if the hairline looks okay with the thinning hair behind it, I will just sport that look until a megasession is needed.

I think this seems reasonable, and avoids most of the problems of getting a HT too young. The cost is not a concern (I'm not rich by any means, but my profession pays pretty well).

I can add pictures later, but for now I just want to know if, generally speaking, this seems like a good plan? You guys obviously know your stuff, so all comments, suggestions, and/or warnings are appreciated.

Sorry for the length, but after years of reading this site, I know that the more specific the better. I left off family background because it confuses me. My dad has a full head of hair, as do 2 of my mother's brothers. My other uncle on my mother's side is a NW 4 in his early fifties. However, from looking at his past pictures he seemed to be a diffuse thinner starting in his late 30's.

Lo0tsaQLittleA,

It's obvious you have done a good bit of research. Honestly, this is a decent plan, but there are some things to consider.

Keep in mind though that getting strip surgery in the future will nullify why most people get FUE in the first place: to avoid the linear scar.

There is also potential damage that can incur to the surrounding follicles in FUE, so that when a strip is harvested later, these grafts may be unusable.

I have also heard an argument however that extracting FUE grafts can be more difficult due to angling of the hairs after many strip surgeries because due to the pulling of the scalp during closure.

In my opinion, it may be better to consider doing all strip or all FUE first, and then switching only once you are tapped out of donor hair from one method.

Dr. Feller has made a compelling argument that not all patients are FUE candidates and that there are additional forces applied to the grafts at removal that may result in lesser growth yield.

Be sure to discuss and consider all your options thoroughly before moving forward with a plan.

Best wishes,

Bill