disconfort on donor area normal?

hey everyone, well it is now 8 days after my ht, and i am now feeling a little more discomfort on my donor area, not painful enough to take tylenol but enough to notice kind of a little stinging sensation, would that be normal, is it becuase all the trauma to nerves is now over with? other than that all is cool, little scabs and stuff, which i guess the next step is it falling out,, anyone with info please let me know thanks and tomorrow i see the doc maybe for stitch removal

hey everyone, well it is now 8 days after my ht, and i am now feeling a little more discomfort on my donor area, not painful enough to take tylenol but enough to notice kind of a little stinging sensation, would that be normal, is it becuase all the trauma to nerves is now over with? other than that all is cool, little scabs and stuff, which i guess the next step is it falling out,, anyone with info please let me know thanks and tomorrow i see the doc maybe for stitch removal

• Administrators

Rafael,

Let me be the first to congratulate you and welcome you to the real "hair club". Once the numbness starts to wear off in your donor area and the nerves come back online you will feel some soreness. In my experience it's a dull ache as most.

You'll feel much better the day after your stiches are removed. They can get pretty itchy by day eight.

Feel free to post any photos you care to share or create a weblog.

Best wishes for rapid healing and great growth.

Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

rafael,

I'll be the second to congratulate you then since Pat beat me to the punch icon_smile.gif.

As Pat said, at day 8, it is normal to still feel some discomfort...in fact, sometimes the discomfort is greater than in the beginning (as Pat said, the nerves are starting to feel again). Not only that, but staples and stitches begin to really irritate your scalp (at least mine) by day 8. As Pat said...once you get your stitches out it will feel much better. But expect some tenderness for at least a month...it will improve each week...but some level of tenderness can last for months.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Hey buck up and deal with it. icon_biggrin.gif I'm kidding ofcourse. It is the nerve endings being slightly more sensitive as some of the swelling subsides. Actually as Bill stated, sometimes an injury or in this case, an incision, is a little more painful days later.

Yes, the scabs will be falling off and then there will be shedding of hair and possible shockloss. At approx. month 3-4 you'll start to witness the miracle of "new life."

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Oh yeah - there will be some pain. It sucks. You will see a big difference with the stitches out. For me, at about week 5 I feel no discomfort in the donor area anymore, but I do feel a good amount of itching in the recipioent area. Ya get used to ignoring it icon_wink.gif

hey everyone thanks for everything , can't wait to see something start growing lol but its all about time, and patience anyway will be dealing with it icon_smile.gif and i have put up photos pat, thanks a lot,, will be in touch as my process continues

Normal is tough to define with HT's as everyone heals differently. If you have one place in particular that is bothering you, it may be a minor infection. If it doesn't go away soon I'd get it checked out with a Doc.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Is it normal to still feel some itching in the donor area, even 6 months post HT? There is one spot in particular where I feel itchy the most and that is at the end of the strip.

BIB,

It sure can...but depending on the level of itchiness and how it looks, you might want to consider getting it checked out to make sure you don't have an infection. BUT...it definitely CAN be normal and it's not necessarily an indication of infection. I know I experienced itching in my donor area for many months after the HT...even up to 8 months+ but it was minimal at that point.

Bill

The formation of scar tissue in skin cells goes on for months depending on the superficiality of the "wound". That and the peripheral nerves dealing with that biochemical process is what usually causes this type of itching for long periods. Some people even describe a sensation of tickling around healing and healed wounds for years. But itching in the same spot for years would really suck.

Yeah, what pushing 40 said!

Speaking from almost 2 full months post 1st HT experience, I can tell you that I felt tingling / minor stinging sensations off and on throughout this time.

I think if you had an infection there might be other symptoms as well. What you describe sounds pretty normal to me from where I'm sitting.

2967 Total Grafts w/ Dr. Cooley on 1/3/07 [1st HT]

Hair Count = 5,427

My Hair Loss Weblog