Hair Transplant After Tretinoin

Hi Please Help me.

I had 1500 grafts 20 days ago.

I wonder I use minoxidil rogaine %5 but I know that rogaine ineffective alone frontal area.

So I want to add tretinoin before rogaine

If I begin tretinoin and rogaine , my new hair grafts damaged ?

or when should I begin ? this combine

Hi Please Help me.

I had 1500 grafts 20 days ago.

I wonder I use minoxidil rogaine %5 but I know that rogaine ineffective alone frontal area.

So I want to add tretinoin before rogaine

If I begin tretinoin and rogaine , my new hair grafts damaged ?

or when should I begin ? this combine

PGP

I agree with you not putting retin a on the scalp after a hair transplant. But, retin a, or the newer version called Tazorac, is modestly effective in reducing skin damage from previous sun exposure and wrinkling (but most folks would use it on the face, not scalp). I personally have used them for 14 years.

However, I used to give a lecture back in the late 90's which had data that clearly showed that Retin A could reverse some early pre-cancerous changes in sun exposed skin, and I have a nearby dermatologist that still treats balding scalp with retinoids and sun avoidance(which you correctly point out--as retin a actually thins the protective layer of dead skin and increases your sun exposure).

So you are right on with your sun avoidance and Rogaine suggestions.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the info doc, and for the name of the new retinoid

To me though I feel Retin A for sun damaged skin is like fighting fire with fire since it make the skin extremely photo-sensitive.

Unless your going to remember to wear sunblock everywhere then youll be right back in the same spot you began It was the sun that aged your face in the first place, now your MORE prone for damage.

As far as for baldness I believe its a waste of money . Never saw any evidence that it helped.

Babeart Just use the foam in the hairline and keep your fingers crossed you get some regrowth . A transplant is more then likely the only thing that that will restore your hairline.

Try propecia and foam and hopefully youll be one of those lucky responders

• 2 years later...

I have used Retin-A and minoxidil for years pre-HT, and I believe that the Retin-A did increase the efficacy of the minoxidil in the frontal areas. Currently only day 7 post-HT, but am resuming minoxidil day 14, and will probably wait until the month is up before using Retin-A based on the above. I think it's been useful for me in combatting further loss, although it is strong stuff, and I suffered some scalp redness from it from time to time.

Re: photo sensitivity, I only apply it at nighttime, once a day, rather than before both my twice-daily minoxidil applications. That way, it's all absorbed before my scalp faces the sun the next day!