Is 2,000 grafts a lot of coverage for a full head? (warning: reused pics)

Joe HT

Keep in mind I'm not talking about starting off with skinhead. I just want added density in a second procedure in a few months to a year from now.

FYI - it's hard for me to figure out a Norwood number, as I don't have any skin-bald areas yet. Also, I just underwent a procedure (don't know the graft count, they used slots and minis, FU's along the hairline)

Just a very receded hairline and noticeably very thin when the top's shaved.

ht5.jpght4.jpg

Above: Recycled photos, sure to be used again.

I don't wanna go higher than $5000, and Dr Feller's website states that if you go within a week of consultation you can get up to 2000 for around that price.

I'm interested in full coverage from over the donor area to the forehead.

Now that I'm better-read, I feel good about going that Feller, and I can probably swing the amount when I'm ready for another procedure.

It's my expectation that another session should at least give me the density to cover any potential "plugginess" from the mini's and have me nearly or completely satisfied.

[This message was edited by Joe HT on November 24, 2003 at 05:04 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joe HT on November 24, 2003 at 05:07 PM.]

Keep in mind I'm not talking about starting off with skinhead. I just want added density in a second procedure in a few months to a year from now.

FYI - it's hard for me to figure out a Norwood number, as I don't have any skin-bald areas yet. Also, I just underwent a procedure (don't know the graft count, they used slots and minis, FU's along the hairline)

Just a very receded hairline and noticeably very thin when the top's shaved.

ht5.jpght4.jpg

Above: Recycled photos, sure to be used again.

I don't wanna go higher than $5000, and Dr Feller's website states that if you go within a week of consultation you can get up to 2000 for around that price.

I'm interested in full coverage from over the donor area to the forehead.

Now that I'm better-read, I feel good about going that Feller, and I can probably swing the amount when I'm ready for another procedure.

It's my expectation that another session should at least give me the density to cover any potential "plugginess" from the mini's and have me nearly or completely satisfied.

[This message was edited by Joe HT on November 24, 2003 at 05:04 PM.]

[This message was edited by Joe HT on November 24, 2003 at 05:07 PM.]

Joe HT,

Look at my pics. Mr. T's 5 month post-op pics

I had 3,711 grafts and was a NW6 heading towards a NW7. It will give you an idea of what almost 4,000 grafts can do vs. the 2,000 you are thinking about. Depending on what your hair looks like when the grafts start growing, you might get decent coverage, but given what you pictures show, I think you could be disappointed with the coverage... no matter who does the 2,000 grafts.

Mr. T

Well I am not sure, as those little red spots have yet to grow hair and I also wanna try letting it all grow at least an inch.

My plan's been 3, maybe more, so I really only want a bit more thickness across the head, not a finished product. Just to add enough to help camoflauge plugginess, along with my real hairs, which get much darker with length.

I'm realistic... I saw your pics before and that's more than I'm expecting than even after the second and possibly third session. Not sure what kinda results this first session's gonna provide.

This is turning out a lot more fun and interesting than I ever expected. Thanks for the pics, btw.

Joe HT

read the website www.hairtransplantadviser.org for some basic info on HT.

It looks to me like you are headed to Norwood 6 or 7, based on the fact that you have lost hair over the entire top of your head. Do everything you can to prevent yourself from becoming a 6 or 7.

To cover a whole head takes someting like 10-12 thousand grafts. Most guys have closer to 8 thousand grafts, total. Even 12 thousand grafts will not restore all of the hair you used to have (and I have never heard of any patient ever getting that many grafts. When we talk about using 12 thousand grafts, it is in theory only). So there is a big problem with supply vs. demand. (Donor supply versus bald area needing coverage).

That's why it is important to

-retain as much of your original hair as possible,

-to use your limited donor area as efficiently as possible,

-to plan your HT strategy by looking as far into the future as possible.

Any problems or errors in the topics I just mentioned will only make the supply vs. demand problem even worse.

The short answer to your question "Is 2000 grafts a lot?" is no. It is just the beginning. It might only be about 25 percent of what a guy like you will eventually need.

Well, thanks for the info. I was looking toward the near future, not down the road.

I'm taking Propecia (Fincar /4 or /5), going to get back to using minoxodil, saw palmetto, lysine and whatever else might have a tiny chance in keeping my hair without nasty side effects.

I just want to try and slow nature's progress down and achieve a noticeable result in one or two more procedures.

I'm quite sure a few years from now, I'll be headed back for more. But hey, I'm guessing things will be even more refined by then.

Thanks for the info, maybe I made it sound like I was expecting more than I actually am. (if you can notice a difference after a couple procedures, I'm fine with it)

Hey Joe,

I'm also a Norwood 6 heading toward a 7. I would have to agree with Dr. Feller and the placement of grafts. I had 2500 placed in the frontal region and 1500 placed midway to the crown. Even at that it was not enough to completely cover the crown.

Here is my site if you want something to compare to.

Cam's Web Site

Cam

Well, then, I got an answer from the very doctor I'm going to next. Wish I found this place sooner.

Thanks, and I'll do just that.

I spent some more time looking at pics and posts this morning and realize how goofy I come off. icon_smile.gif

Thanks Cam, I can't wait to see how it looks in a few more months.

JoeHT, you are a veteran (HT) now. You are also like a lot of people who are in the middle of trying to get their hair in a satisfactory state. I'm interested in your progress so I hope that you will continue to post questions and pics.

at NW 6-7, 2000 isn't going to be enough. I was in the same boat (late 5-6) and did 2,200 my first time. At 6 months, I was pretty happy, but borderline. So, I went with 2,200 more - now I'm 3 months out of #2 and will be very - very happy if things keep up the way they were.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

Damn Joecifus. I wasn't even expecting that dramatic of a result. Arfy said a magic number, about 25%.

As a second HT, 25% would be great to supplement what's going to hopefully grown in from my recent first.

But I'm thinking maybe multiple procedures covering a lot of area may be detrimental to the health of all follicles? I would go with Dr Feller's statement, for sure, now.

Do it - But concentrate on the front. I still have a thin crown, but would rather sacrifice that and have a strong front. The second HT is coming in, and I can envision how thick it will be. I can't tell you how cool it is to not have that hairpiece, or even have to think about it.

You'll definitely need a second - but do it with one of the top guys to do it right. Anyone recommending 500, 700 whatever, is a quack.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice