Numbness

Does anyone know why some people have more numbness in the back of the head than others? and why it lasts longer for some? Is it the technique used to make the incision?

Does anyone know why some people have more numbness in the back of the head than others? and why it lasts longer for some? Is it the technique used to make the incision?

I understand its nerve damage, but why do some experience it very bad and others have minimal nerve damage? Any Docs have any input to this?

Yes numbness occurs, I've had numbness after a HT last as long as a year and others as short as 5 months-- The reason is during the donor selection they cut nerves in the back of the scalp and Nerves regenerate themselves but various by how quick--- So yes, it is common to have more numbness than others-- I've had both ends of the spectrum but eventually it all comes back.

This is an often over-looked aspect of HT's. My own numbness subsided very quickly and even when it was around it didn't bother me too much.

How far along are you post op? Is the numbness that troublesome?

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I am now 2 months and 2 days post op. It is pretty numb in areas far away from the incision where nothing was done.....rather weird.

The nerves in the scalp run all over so the separation of them can cause isolated spots of numbness for a while until everything is healed back up.

For an example of how the nerves in the scalp are all interconnected, take the practice still utilized by some hair transplant physicians of numbing the entire scalp by introducing anaesthesia only above the eyebrows. This effectively numbs the entire scalp because it works its way through the "channels" of nerves throughout.

The numbness will eventually subside. It can be kind of weird at first but you will think about it less and less each day.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 1 month later...

I am almost two years Post-op, and I still have a small spot on the top/left/rear portion of my scalp that is slightly numb. It is as another writer has said. Donor site incisions cut the nerves, and they take a long time to grow their way back into those regions. Not a big deal, and month, by month the sensation gets more complete. Small price to pay.

Originally posted by eric123:

I am now 2 months and 2 days post op. It is pretty numb in areas far away from the incision where nothing was done.....rather weird.

The numbness last different amounts of time for different people and different surgeries. It is because the nerves that are cut have to grow back-- some grow back faster than others. I've had procedure where I was numb for a year, and others that after 4 months I had 100% feeling back-- It varies.