Hairline question

Hi,

I'm 34 and looking into HT due to a hairline that's been marching steadily backward for the last 10 years or so. I don't seem to have any thinning on the crown or rear of the head, but I've lost about 3 inches of hairline in the front.

My question is, what happens if I get a HT to restore some of the missing hairline area, but the "natural" hairline just keeps receding? I would end up with hair in the front and a strip of baldness behind it, which seems even worse than what I've got now. Do HT patients experience this and how do they handle it.. by going for a second procedure?

thanks!

Hi,

I'm 34 and looking into HT due to a hairline that's been marching steadily backward for the last 10 years or so. I don't seem to have any thinning on the crown or rear of the head, but I've lost about 3 inches of hairline in the front.

My question is, what happens if I get a HT to restore some of the missing hairline area, but the "natural" hairline just keeps receding? I would end up with hair in the front and a strip of baldness behind it, which seems even worse than what I've got now. Do HT patients experience this and how do they handle it.. by going for a second procedure?

thanks!

jtek -

are you sure you're getting acne because of Propecia? I mean that's not one of the Propecia's side affects. I am assuming you have stopped taking propecia. I would say try taking it again for few months, and if your acne problems continue to bother see your dermatologist.

I hope that helps.

KG

jtek,

The situation that you outlined is a common concern for men interested in hair restoration procedures - and rightfully so!

Typically, Propecia (Finasteride) is prescribed well in advance of the procedure to help stave off future loss. Will it stave off ALL loss? It depends on the individual. More likely than not, however, it will help substantially.

Merck claims around 2% of users experience significant side effects. From the official Merck Propecia website:

"What are the possible side effects of PROPECIA?

Like all prescription products, PROPECIA may cause side effects. In clinical studies, side effects from PROPECIA were uncommon and did not affect most men. A small number of men experienced certain sexual side effects. These men reported one or more of the following: less desire for sex; difficulty in achieving an erection; and, a decrease in the amount of semen. Each of these side effects occurred in less than 2% of men. These side effects went away in men who stopped taking PROPECIA. They also disappeared in most men who continued taking PROPECIA.

In general use, the following have been reported: allergic reactions including rash, itching, hives and swelling of the lips and face; problems with ejaculation; breast tenderness and enlargement; and testicular pain. You should promptly report to your doctor any changes in your breasts such as lumps, pain or nipple discharge. Tell your doctor promptly about these or any other unusual side effects."

If you are confident that your acne is a result of the Propecia, speak to your physician. If your family physician seems unfamiliar with the medication, you may want to seek out a dermatologist that is familiar with MPB and its' treatments.

Back to transplant surgery. You certainly do not want to get into the position in which you are chasing your receding hair. This is where planning is imperative and selecting a physician that is looking out for your long-term welfare is absolutely crucial. Your chosen physician and you will collaborate and determine a "game plan" that both meets your goals and expectations as realistically as possible and takes the possibility of future procedures into consideration.

There is no "right" answer, just a right approach. The most important aspects are:

1) Finding a way to minimize future loss by begin an effective medicinal regimen and sticking with it.

2) Finding an ethical, highly skilled physician that will work to meet your goals while looking out for your best interests no matter what. We have made that process simple for hair loss sufferers here.

3) Researching on the forums, gathering as much information on physicians, effective treatments, and other patients' experiences as possible. What works for someone else may not work for you, but just might. The Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Restoration Network, and the Hair Transplant Network are all filled with articles, patient pictures, reports, doctor interviews, interactive tools, treatment options and more. Make use of them and this forum. Spend some time here and the picture will get clearer.

Welcome to the forums. Feel free to ask more questions.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog