shock loss

hawk22

I've read alot of the information posted on here about shock loss. I'm still not sure I fully understand it. I understand that if the hair is weak that there is probably a good chance that you will lose it but why do you lose strong hair? Is it because the Dr. punches directly into the healthy follicle? I understand strong hair follicles are supposed to eventually come back, but if the transplant damages the follicle isn't there a good chance you could lose it also? I'm about 2 months post op and have experienced alot of loss. The Dr. has told me it takes about 2 months for your lost hair to grow back in and mine is not even close. I'm starting to wonder if maybe some of my original hair was damaged.

I've read alot of the information posted on here about shock loss. I'm still not sure I fully understand it. I understand that if the hair is weak that there is probably a good chance that you will lose it but why do you lose strong hair? Is it because the Dr. punches directly into the healthy follicle? I understand strong hair follicles are supposed to eventually come back, but if the transplant damages the follicle isn't there a good chance you could lose it also? I'm about 2 months post op and have experienced alot of loss. The Dr. has told me it takes about 2 months for your lost hair to grow back in and mine is not even close. I'm starting to wonder if maybe some of my original hair was damaged.

• Administrators

Hawk22,

As hair transplant techniques have become more refined and minimally invasive the occurance of shock loss has dimminished.

You are absolutely right that existing hairs can potentially be damaged/severed if the surgeon is not careful while making the graft incisions. That is why the best surgeons take their good time while making graft incisions to make sure that they do not severe pre-existing follicles. Such care takes time and is often lacking at the commercial hair mills.

The real pros who care typically wear 4 or 6 power loops when they are making incisions in and around existing hair. It slows the doctor down but the patient experiences minimal shock loss.

Another cause of shock fall out is when the vascularity of the scalp is excessively damaged due to a surgical session that is too invasive. This causes the existing hair in recipient area to go into shock and shed. Typically if this hair was healthy it will regrow back in 2 to 3 months (the normal hair regrowth cycle).

To learn more about shock loss I suggest you use the Find feature on this forum and enter "shock loss" or "shock fallout".

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.