time to say hello.

Hello all, I've been reading the forums for a while and this one in particular has provided me with an invaluable resource in my research. After careful consideration I have decided to put my head in the expert hands of Dr. Feller. I have booked for FUE late Aug and hope to get as many as Dr. Feller can achieve on the day.

To put you in the picture, I am 31 yrs old and probably a NW3. Been thinning for c5 yrs and been on propecia for 7 mths now. The propecia seems to have halted the loss for the moment without any remarkable re-growth. I have receded at the temples and have slight thinning of the crown.

So, I guess I am just after your opinion of my master plan which is to get a few hundred FUE in the crown and conservatively close the temples in my first HT. I am hoping Dr. Feller can do 1200 FUE but I know this will depend on my physiology. If I need anymore in the next few yrs I would opt for more FUE in the hope that I can delay a strip until late 30's or early 40's. I am not against strip at all as I have seen some great examples but I just think FUE will keep my options open for a little longer. I would appreciate your input regarding choice of procedure and my long term plan.

Can I also say a big thanks to all the regular posters here who devote a lot of time and effort to help others like myself make an informed decision. Well done guys & keep up the good work. I intend to post my HT when the time arrives.

"Plan for the worst & hope for the best"

Hello all, I've been reading the forums for a while and this one in particular has provided me with an invaluable resource in my research. After careful consideration I have decided to put my head in the expert hands of Dr. Feller. I have booked for FUE late Aug and hope to get as many as Dr. Feller can achieve on the day.

To put you in the picture, I am 31 yrs old and probably a NW3. Been thinning for c5 yrs and been on propecia for 7 mths now. The propecia seems to have halted the loss for the moment without any remarkable re-growth. I have receded at the temples and have slight thinning of the crown.

So, I guess I am just after your opinion of my master plan which is to get a few hundred FUE in the crown and conservatively close the temples in my first HT. I am hoping Dr. Feller can do 1200 FUE but I know this will depend on my physiology. If I need anymore in the next few yrs I would opt for more FUE in the hope that I can delay a strip until late 30's or early 40's. I am not against strip at all as I have seen some great examples but I just think FUE will keep my options open for a little longer. I would appreciate your input regarding choice of procedure and my long term plan.

Can I also say a big thanks to all the regular posters here who devote a lot of time and effort to help others like myself make an informed decision. Well done guys & keep up the good work. I intend to post my HT when the time arrives.

gazza,

Welcome to our community.

Dr. Feller is an excellent surgeon, so congrats on selecting him.

I'm not sure I understand your game plan, however, to go for 1200 FUE for a NW3, especially if some of them are going to be used for the crown.

Of course, it does depend on how conservative/liberal you are considering for your hairline...but 1200 grafts is not a lot of grafts.

The general rule is to take your norwood level and multiply by 1000 on the conservative side and 1500 on the liberal side.

Any reason why you aren't considering strip?

I'm glad to hear Propecia has at least helped the loss.

Cheers,

Bill

Bill weote:

Any reason why you aren't considering strip?

Gazza:

I am not against strip at all as I have seen some great examples but I just think FUE will keep my options open for a little longer.

Folica:

I don't know if Fue preserves your donor area for future strip or not.

Anybody know?

Follica,

Try to remember how FUE works. FUE will take hair follicles from various places from the sides and back of one's head. Those who go for many larger FUE sessions (6000+ grafts) could end up with their donor area looking moth eaten. This is not a guarantee...but it's the risk people run, just as one who gets multiple strip surgeries risk wider scarring.

Keep in mind, that if one gets FUE first, and then strip, the strip extracted will contain some of the FUE scars, which means, there will be no grafts in that area to extract, ultimately leaving a lesser number of grafts in the strip.

IMO, it would be pointless to do FUE and then end up later getting a strip surgery, since the primary reason people get FUE is to eliminate a linear scar (note: there is still scarring with FUE, just differently). However, getting strip first and then topping off later with FUE makes sense if they are Stripped out, or if they want to fill in their scar with FUE in the event they need it.

Cheers,

Bill

Guys thanks for your response. I am probably a NW2/3 with still most of my hairline, just some recession in the temples along with thinning in the crown. I will try and post some pics later for your opinion. I guess I see FUE as allowing me to keep my options opened for shaving down to a #1 if I decide not to go for further surgery. I understand FUE still leaves scarring but I like the fact it is less invasive. I hope to get c800 grafts in the temples and a few hundred in the crown to tide me over. I am definitely conservative probably the accountant in me!!

Originally posted by Bill:

Follica,

Keep in mind, that if one gets FUE first, and then strip, the strip extracted will contain some of the FUE scars, which means, there will be no grafts in that area to extract, ultimately leaving a lesser number of grafts in the strip.

Bill

Although this is mathematically very correct I see 3 arguments why FUE should be done first, leaving strip as an optional and final resort.

1. FUE megassesions are available, 1500 to 3000 grafts per day are very well within the range of totally dedicated FUE surgeons.

2. FUE can harvest a lot of grafts. If you are not too high on the NW scale it will cover all your needs in terms of graft amounts

3. Going strip first will undoubtably mean that any larger FUE session will unveal your strip scar. Nomatter if it is 1 mm wide or larger it will scream 'hair transplant' and will impossible to hide if you can not wear a hat or cap for about a month.

and lastly I would personnaly ALWAYS go the least invasive route for cosmetic surgery.

In case you need the maximum amount of harvestable hair : Strip can still deliver large amounts of grafts even after you are FUE'd to the limit. Remember, FUE takes out 20 to 30 percent, leaving a lot of hair.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

bverotti,

I have seen a few other of your posts where you are heavily promoting FUE MEGASESSIONS FOR EVERYONE related to your doc, and frankly, I don't like it.

I do believe FUE has merit and is a viable option for some, however, many well respected FUE doctors would argue that this is not possible (referring to EVERYONE), and until I see proof and that these approaches are being adopted by top FUE clinics around the world, I'm going to maintain a skeptical POV.

Feel free, however, to prove us wrong and post detailed pictures from your clinic of before/immediately post op/progressive/after pictures of the recipient area and donor areas. Please post high resolution photos showing the detail of your clinic's work.

Bill

I would agree with Bill. IMO, FUE gives you less options in the future. I would think you could maximize your yield via strip, then use FUE as the finishing touch once your remaining donor supply was limited.

Other than the scar, I do not see ANY advantage of going for FUE prior to strip.

I know Dr. Feller has been instrumental in developing FUE and is an advocate of using a 0.9mm punch at worst, otherwise he does not deem this to be FUE.

As I understand it my suitability for FUE will need to be assessed on the day of surgery, Dr. F has a very honest and ethical approach in that he will abondon a FUE procedure if the 0.9mm isnt obtaining viable grafts. This means he does not see FUE as an option for everyone and even less so a megasession FUE. Unless of course a larger punch is used.

I understand these limitations and would be happy to switch to Strip if need be. As I said, my preference would be FUE as it is less invasive and allows the option to shave down. However, if on Dr. Feller's recommendation be it because my graft goals are too high for FUE or my physiology does not allow for FUE, I will happily switch to Strip.

Thanks for your input so far, its always educational.

I think its fair to say I am at that crossroad in terms of how many grafts I need. Some would argue c1200 is too small to merit a Strip surgery.

And I want to be conservative as there is a good chance my loss will continue to a NW5/6 according to family genes (unless propecia works its magic). Again this is why a FUE session would suit me at this stage. I like to plan for the worst and hope for the best icon_smile.gif

However, if on Dr Fellers recommendation be it because my graft goals are too high for FUE or my physiology does not allow for FUE, I will happily switch to Strip.

.[/quote

Although I respect dr. Feller a lot, I HIGHLY disagree with the fact that anyone should be switched to strip for the reason mentioned in the quote.

Bill,

I know we are rocking the boat, raising the bar, and going against the flow. People do not like change.

If I was not in a priviledged position to wittnes the session in person, I too would be very sceptical, believe me.

Since we can not invite the whole world to watch the procedures we have invited some highly respectable people (like Pat) to watch in. Would you have someone come over and look if you knew your talking BS??

Yes, I heavely support FUE, no question about it. I have seen TOO many strip problems AND know from own experience the differences. Really, I would not know ANY reason to prefer strip over FUE (exept maybe the shaving).

BV

Bill,

Can you please mention me 10 docs who are fully and entirely dedicted to FUE, meaning they perform it as a DAILY routine,?

Beverotti-He is getting some bedrest (thankfully) . But with the numbers you quote...NONE.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Your posting from Belgium and expect a response right away?

Man your are not the brightest bulb are ya. How many grafts do I NEED.

Gotta go have a friend in Japan that I need to call and shoot the $hit with.

I'll just keep leaving messages till he picks up.

This is AmeriKa dumba$$.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

Originally posted by Aquarius:

He is getting some bedrest (thankfully) . But with the numbers you quote...NONE.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Your posting from Belgium and expect a response right away?

Man your are not the brightest bulb are ya. How many grafts do I NEED.

Gotta go have a friend in Japan that I need to call and shoot the $hit with.

I'll just keep leaving messages till he picks up.

This is AmeriKa dumba$$.

Aquarius,

What is this with your agressive tone? Have I missed something?

Look at my registration date and you will realize that I am well aware of time differences between Europe and USA.

Yeah, timezone awareness is a good thing.Don't be so sensitive. It's not like you've been yellow brick roaded by a consultant or anything. Sorry if your feeling have been bruised in any way.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

If you're Norwood 3 why not go with STRIP and get the 3000 or so that you need in one pass? Just a thought..............plus FUE will cost about double what STRIP will cost.

If it's the scarring that's a concern I'll say what many have said before.............if a person wants to still shave down after a HT I would recommend against getting one, period. Both FUE and STRIP leave scars.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by hairbank:

If you're Norwood 3 why not go with STRIP and get the 3000 or so that you need in one pass? Just a thought..............plus FUE will cost about double what STRIP will cost.

If it's the scarring that's a concern I'll say what many have said before.............if a person wants to still shave down after a HT I would recommend against getting one, period. Both FUE and STRIP leave scars.

I agree, you CAN get strip OR you can get FUE.

Scarring is an issue for strip patient, it is unpredictable. The worst however is having long term or permanent pain. This is not science fiction, it is reality. Again, permanent pain after strip surgery is not predictable. It does not happen a lot, but it does occur.

IF there where no strip problems, FUE would never have been invented.

FUE pricing has come down.

We are doing a 2800 FUE grafts case, totalling 11700 USD, or 4.1 $/graft (dr. De R.). Yes it is higher then strip, but again FUE is not strip. If dollar would not be so weak than the price would have been 3.2 $ per graft.

Gents, here are a few pics to help illustrate my situation.

I do not think I need anywhere near 3000 grafts although I appreciate I have likely mislead you by stating I was a NW3. The truth is I have never been given my classification on the NW scale by any Dr. as yet and the scale is subjective anyway! You will note the thinning in the crown and recession of the temples I described earlier.

Any comments on number of grafts required now my situ is clearer?

Crown.JPG.4cfb4fc250ba17ac9ba1afbd9ed72869.JPG

Thanks for the pics.

I wouldn't even touch the crown for now...............Maybe the Fin will help you there.

IMO I may not even do anything to the front either, but, I agree with you that you overassessed yourself being a NW3, more like a NW 2. If you do it, I believe 1500 grafts would probably do you very nicely................especially since you're over 30 and haven't experienced much loss yet.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.