Decisions decisions

Hi all,

I am new here. But not new to being bald. I can't figure out that system for rating but I guess around a 4-5 or thereabouts. Not much left on top. I am now 50 and it seems a bit silly now to change this but yesterday I went to my dads 80th bday party and it occured to me I could live a lot longer and I'd rather do it with hair.

I have done nothing to date to prevent the loss. Maybe my mistake. But I didn't want to take a drug (Rogaine) for the rest of my life for a lessening of the loss.

So I guess I am considering transplants. But I have a lot of concerns. I'll list them and maybe you guys can advise on if I am being silly.

1) Pain if any? I can probably deal with this.

2) Will it really look normal? And is there an extended period where I look like an idiot due to the transplants?

3) How much does this cost?

4) Are there any well known quality clinics in the Phoenix AZ area?

Thanks. I'm probably asking the same old questions you've seen a dozen times but I can't seem to filter the salient parts out.

Hi all,

I am new here. But not new to being bald. I can't figure out that system for rating but I guess around a 4-5 or thereabouts. Not much left on top. I am now 50 and it seems a bit silly now to change this but yesterday I went to my dads 80th bday party and it occured to me I could live a lot longer and I'd rather do it with hair.

I have done nothing to date to prevent the loss. Maybe my mistake. But I didn't want to take a drug (Rogaine) for the rest of my life for a lessening of the loss.

So I guess I am considering transplants. But I have a lot of concerns. I'll list them and maybe you guys can advise on if I am being silly.

1) Pain if any? I can probably deal with this.

2) Will it really look normal? And is there an extended period where I look like an idiot due to the transplants?

3) How much does this cost?

4) Are there any well known quality clinics in the Phoenix AZ area?

Thanks. I'm probably asking the same old questions you've seen a dozen times but I can't seem to filter the salient parts out.

jbcool,

Hey, thanks for sharing your story and welcome to this community! You have alot of good practical questions.

Pain? You undoubtedly will feel the initial injections of anaesthesia, but after that you should be fine.

Yes the procedure can produce a very natural appearing result when done by a talented, competent HT surgeon and also providing that you have no other physiological complications like healing, etc. You can go over your complete medical history with the doctor. Remember, surgical hair restoration produces an "illusion of coverage".

The cost can vary quite a bit depending if you choose strip excision methods or FUE. The size of the session can have an effect on the total price especially when you get over 2,000 grafts. Alot of HT docs will begin to lower the graft price in the larger sessions. This for the most part does not apply to FUE, the size of the session. It does many times apply with strip so ask each doctor about that.

Phoenix? Talk with Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix who is very talented and ethical and "in your area". He just performed a procedure for the "win a free hair transplant contest" sponsored by this network and there is a thread denoting his work there. He does both strip and fue so ask him about both.

Let us know how things turn out and again welcome!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Politik/Guy and JBCool,

You can get the answers to many of your questions at our Hair Loss Learning Center.

Of particular interest to JBCool, here are some links to the surgical treatments section:

Transplants - How to do it right

Transplant Surgery, Step-by-Step

How to Choose a Clinic

Politik/Guy, you will be interested in this link:

FUE and Strip comparison

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Thanks guys. Well, maybe I'm too lazy to find it but herre are some more questions.

1) I assume I will look pretty weird for a while after surgery. I can deal with that for a bit but how long until there are no signs that I had HT?

2) if I am comprehenddingg this right the cost structure would be around $5000 to $15000 depending on amount of grafting done. Is this right or did I add or miss a zero?

3) I heard that it doesn't always work. That sometimes the HT doesn't take and you just look stupid with a head that has had surgery on it. Does this happen?

Thanks. I'll keep reading too.

go see Dr Sharon Keene in Tucson-shes the tops, Re-consider proscar, really is cheap about 20 a month and has worked for me. Your budget is correct, expect to look good in a year. HT's are not an immediate satisfaction kind of thing like buying a car!

I had the same thoughts about my age. I'm 57 and just figure that I don't want to spend twenty or more years bald like the rest of my family was and is. Pain for me was as stated above by gillinator. You won't look goofy if you get the right surgeon. For me...no one has ever noticed. I took a week out of the area on vacation..played golf on day 5 and only used sun block with no hat while out on the course. My only annoyance is itching and numbness. But the new growth in the HT area helps me get through that quick enough. Hope to hear more from you on your procedure and results. I'm going to post my pictures in another month. I'm only out 9 weeks post op, but have new hair coming in and 35% of HT hair at about 1 inch long. Like everyone says..pick your doctor carefully from suggestions that you will find here. Weigh your own health and ability to heal, keep a good quality diet before and after. Wish you well! WW

Hi guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. I have an appointment with Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix tomorrow. This is just a free consultation.

Is he not as good as Dr. Keene or is Dr. Keene simply the one you choose and you know she is good? Or is she like one of the best in the nation?

I am willing to drive to Tucson for the procedure if I must but I would need to be able to drive myself back as I don't trust my wife on that kind of driving. Will I be able to drive the day of the HT?

Thanks all.

jbcool,

I looked into both , Dr. Alexander and Dr. Keene, and went with Dr. Keene in March of this year. The reasons for this are that she has an Excellent reputation, knows and uses her tallents to your best interest-Bonzo

Originally posted by jbcool:

Hi guys,

Thanks for the encouragement. I have an appointment with Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix tomorrow. This is just a free consultation.

Is he not as good as Dr. Keene or is Dr. Keene simply the one you choose and you know she is good? Or is she like one of the best in the nation?

I am willing to drive to Tucson for the procedure if I must but I would need to be able to drive myself back as I don't trust my wife on that kind of driving. Will I be able to drive the day of the HT?

Thanks all.

Both are great physicians. I am sure that you have done your homework, but I'm posting both of their recommendation pages below.

Dr. Sharon Keene

Dr. Scott Alexander

Also, check out a recent procedure performed by Dr. Alexander for one of the forum members here:

Dr. Alexander's Gift of Hair

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Politik/Guy,

It is a surgical procedure. What other surgery have you seen that wouldn't be painful if the patient wasn't under anaethesia.

Check out the link in my above post that chronicled RGott's surgery with Dr. Alexander. During the entire procedure the patient is comfortable, relaxed, and most of the time, watching movies and chatting.

-Robert

Hi,

I just returned from meeting Dr Alexander. I think he is a professional guy. problem is, he might be too honest for his own good.

I have limited donor hair and it isn't really thick hair to start with. Combine that with a large bald area and the results attainable are limited.

I am also one of the lucky guys that looks OK bald. He pretty much told me he isn't sure if he wouuld do it if it were him. And I agree.

I'm gonna ponder it a bit.

Thanks

thats too bad for you jbcool, i guess just like you said your one of the lucky ones because in my case hair is the one that makes me. without no hair im basicly lost. i wonder if theres any good physicians in florida and near miami??

I was looking at Doc. Paul T. Rose , dont know though??

Politik/Guy, Actually I think you should see Dr.Rose he is one of the best in the world. You are obviously not going to be detered from this obsession until you do. After he kicks your butt with reality .I hope you don't keep looking and find someone that won't.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Originally posted by jbcool:

Hi,

I just returned from meeting Dr Alexander. I think he is a professional guy. problem is, he might be too honest for his own good.

JB,

I don't think that he is too honest for his on good, so much as his ethics make him honest for the patients' own good. icon_smile.gif

Your experience shows exactly why Dr. Alexander and all of the other Coalition Physicians are selected and reverred as top-notch hair restoration physicians. Not only do they perform top-quality hair restoration surgery, their ethics are impeccable. As many "veterans" of less-than-ethical physicians will be quick to warn there are many physicians out there that will be MORE than happy to put you in the chair no matter if you are a good candidate for the procedure or not. It comes as no suprise to me that Dr. Alexander turned you away if he did not believe that it was in your best interest to follow through.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not a good candidate because this is obviously something that you wanted, but I do want to strongly urge you to refrain from "shopping" around other physicians until you find one that will perform the procedure for you.

-Robert

Robert

He didn't actually turn me away. He simply told me that the results would not be a dense full restoral of my hair and it would take 2 visits and ongoing Propecia and Roghaine treatment. And that I look OK as I am now.

He'll do it. But he considers me a borderling case. I agree. I didn't really have my heart set on this. If I can get my hair back in a simple procedire and it is high likelyhood of working Ill do it. If not, I won't.

Might be I need to wait til cloning is here and I can get a full dense head of hair. Game isn't over yet.

I agree that both Drs. Alexander and Keene are good doctors. icon_wink.gif

"Illusion of coverage" is simply just that. Most will agree that surgical hair restoration "at most" will provide "visual coverage" but never at the original density levels we were once given by mother nature. But that's okay because most patients do not need that virgin level of original density to "look" restored. Generally speaking, if one can achieve roughly 50% or so of original density through surgical restoration, for many that will produce a visual perception of coverage (no scalp showing). That's pretty much my case. If my hair is wet, it is rather easy to see my scalp throughout the top. It is when my hair is dry that the "illusion of coverage" is prevalent.

Very glad to hear of Dr. Alexander's honesty and straight-forwardness. I have always found him to be out-spoken yet realistic when explaining the procedures especially when there are limited resources. My thought would be that he does not want to promise something that any patient wants to hear but cannot be achieved so in the end the expectation (goals) greatly supercede what can actually be produced.

So although a patient may have some limitations in surgical hair restoration, that does not necessarily imply "no candidacy" for the procedure. It's just that the goals need to be realistic based on the demand/supply equation. But only the patient can decide what is acceptable for them in seeking their resolve as long as it is a fully-informed decision. Some folks are happy with a more conservative look based on limited donor, others not. It is a very personal decision.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Tucson: Dr Keene. I drove in early in the morning to tucson from Scottsdale, did the deed she worked on me unitil 7pm sent me home. Stayed at a hotel that night. Went back the next morning for the wash and checkout. Went home. My wife and 3yr old and 1 yr old were with us the whole time. I was impressed by her credentials and obvious skill. She is affiliated with Shapiro and works a week per month there in MN. Go see bosley and MHR for the fun of it or a reference point. Then go see Dr Keene, she will do as great a job as can be done.