Oprah Magazine

Hi, I'm a woman member and I don't have balding, but I feel for guys that do. Just, FYI, I don't mind balding at all. In fact, I've found myself repeatedly attracted over the years to guys with receding hairlines. (Isn't it true too much testosterone causes balding, so I think that's pretty sexy).

Its hard for me to understand what the big deal is, but then I picked up Oprah Magazine yesterday and Wham! On the front cover, the headline reads: SPECIAL REPORT: MEN: THEY'D RATHER BE IMPOTENT THAN BALD! wow. That coming from a survey. That says alot.

The article said that MOST MEN, GIVEN A CHOICE, WOULD RATHER GO WITHOUT SEX THAN WITHOUT THEIR HAIR. What?!

The article also said BALD IS TO MALE AS FAT IS TO FEMALE. I guess meaning women hate to be fat (we do) as much as men hate to be bald. Its also true that some men like fat women and some women like bald men, but it certainly does limit your options...

But anyway, I digress.

I was recently making out with a guy I'd just met. (Not something I normally do) and I ran my fingers through his hair and it felt a bit funny, like dry grass. It turns out he had hair transplants. I dated another guy who used Rogaine and his hair had that tufty look to it as well. I guess there is no perfect solution. You just have to go with what is right for you. Hope any of this helps.

If you're out there, Dry Grass, give me a call. I miss you.

Hi, I'm a woman member and I don't have balding, but I feel for guys that do. Just, FYI, I don't mind balding at all. In fact, I've found myself repeatedly attracted over the years to guys with receding hairlines. (Isn't it true too much testosterone causes balding, so I think that's pretty sexy).

Its hard for me to understand what the big deal is, but then I picked up Oprah Magazine yesterday and Wham! On the front cover, the headline reads: SPECIAL REPORT: MEN: THEY'D RATHER BE IMPOTENT THAN BALD! wow. That coming from a survey. That says alot.

The article said that MOST MEN, GIVEN A CHOICE, WOULD RATHER GO WITHOUT SEX THAN WITHOUT THEIR HAIR. What?!

The article also said BALD IS TO MALE AS FAT IS TO FEMALE. I guess meaning women hate to be fat (we do) as much as men hate to be bald. Its also true that some men like fat women and some women like bald men, but it certainly does limit your options...

But anyway, I digress.

I was recently making out with a guy I'd just met. (Not something I normally do) and I ran my fingers through his hair and it felt a bit funny, like dry grass. It turns out he had hair transplants. I dated another guy who used Rogaine and his hair had that tufty look to it as well. I guess there is no perfect solution. You just have to go with what is right for you. Hope any of this helps.

If you're out there, Dry Grass, give me a call. I miss you.

Ashley,

Thanks for the uplifting message to the other forum members and welcome to the forums.

Just for clarification, it is not necessarily testosterone itself that causes men to bald. If you would like to read more on that go here.

For reference, though: I have also had a couple of young ladies that said that my receded temples were "sexy" and "appealing." I guess its' all in the personal preference of the lady. icon_smile.gif

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

So ok im a 26 year old guy that has watched my hair dissappear the last couple years. Im very close to going for a transplant procedure. My reasons behind this are simple. I hate the way my receding hair makes me look BUT even though it can be said that you find some balding men attractive I am sure that you wouldn't find them attractive once you found out how they suffer from low self-esteem due to their hairloss. That is the boat most of us guys are in here. For me personally it is very difficult to see guys my own age with killer hair and then see my own baron scalp in the mirror. While it is true that some guys can rock the balding look I don't feel that I am one of them. Being a gym rat I am all about a healthy athletic look and hairloss in my opinion makes me look unhealthy. Its just how me and the other guys feel here for the most part.

Same here, like russtaman say's. Its really hard and stressfull seeing your head with barely any hair at all specially when you had great looking hair before. In my case im 17 and im loosing hair dramaticly fast and can't stand it when i see my self in the mirror that i could see where my hair is falling. Its just not fair for some of us guys, hey me too im tall well defined and can't say i dont look good but just the hair falling out kills the karma!

oh and yes guys that are loosing their hair feel extremely low-selfesteem, just put him next to a guy with good looking hair. you do that to me and me being 6'2 ill shrink smaller than snowhites dwarfs...

Politik,russtaman, Read this post again. Did you read the part where she said:"I ran my fingers though his hair it felt a bit FUNNY,like DRY GRASS. It turns out he had hairtransplants (plural)"or just the part were she was making out with him on the first date and crying out "Dry Grass" I miss you?

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Ashley -

Thanks for the fresh perspective. Fortunately, my wife feels the same about my (formerly) bald head as you do. Interestingly, the weight problem that she's had in recent years as a result of childbirth doesn't bother me at all - but it does bother her.

When I went in for my HT consultation, the doctor made several admiring comments about my height - I'm 6'2". He was about 5'8" and I soon realized that his height probably bothered him about as much as my receding hairline bothered me. I of course couldn't help but notice the thick head of hair that he had.

It made me realize that we all have our own crosses to bear and these crosses really help shape our perceptions of ourselves and the world around us.

Thanks for the insights.

FS

It's actually difficult for women to relate to hair loss because 1) They don't suffer from it except in rare cases and 2) Since there are so many men with hair loss, it just seems like a natural part of life to them.

My wife's ideas are similar. However, when I ask her to imagine how she would feel if she were losing her hair, a light seems to come on and I can see that "Oh yeah" expression on her face.

You better believe that women would be freaking out if they were losing their hair.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Hair loss is a curse. It is most unfortunate.

You can't compare fat to bald. Women can control eating habits and being fat. Women can look great till 50 if she stays thin. You have no control over losing hair and it is instant turn-off. Men have it much worse in the grand scheme.

thinkingaboutit: Keep thinking. Kind of reminded me of that book by Stephen King: Pet Cemetary, it comes back, but as something less than natural. VERY UN-NATURAL (from my limited experience). Like the equivalent of fake breasts - some positives, but naturalness is not one of them. Again, there are positives and negatives. You have to decide what you're comfortable with...

Dry Grass: sounds like bad conditioner, try a different shampoo and conditioner, even the natural hair can get that way!

I heard that girls love the ocean. Thats why I traded in my wavy hair for beachgrass and a sandy scalp,now a resort getaway is a close as the nearest mirror.Maybe "Dr". Magdalin is the artist he claims to be and I am just not being objective like he said.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Most of the hair on top of my head is transplanted, and though it's not as thick as my natural hair was, it feels perfectly normal.

Does anyone else find it a bit strange that Ashley doesn't know this guy's first name, yet she knows for certain that he's had a hair transplant?

EastCoast I totally agree, its a complete curse!

The diffrence between hair loss and anything else is you are powerless to stop it!

Women may cover up scars with makeup, there is always the potential to diet/exercise/surgery to lose weight, smart dress sence etc!

Ask any bald man, make me fat but give me a good head of hair and I can guarantee 100% uptake on that offer.

The dry grass comment makes me think that this individual had some kind of concealer in. Dermmatch, for instance, can make the hair feel this way if too much is applied. Add Toppik and the hold spray for it on top of that and I can see where someone's hair would feel like that.

When using concealers one really has to find that perfect balance that comes from practice of applying it.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I think Robert may have answered the "dry grass" question. Or perhaps, the guy used too much hair gel.

In my own HT experience, my transplanted hair, which formerly resided on the sides and back of my head, is no different in color or texture from the rest of my hair. I supsect that if someone had this texture to begin with before the HT then they would continue to have that texture after the HT.

As for looking natural, I would agree with Ashley that that is one of the biggest challenges with a HT. Of course this is also a problem with a lot of surgical treatments; HTs, breast implants, nose jobs, hip replacements - the solution can come close but it's usually not as good as the original. Yet in spite of this, I would still have opted for the HT. I plan to do an additional HT at some point to work on my hairline by adding more grafts and making the hairline a bit less straight.

Finally, I'd encourage those of you who are ready to trade-in your bald heads for beer bellies to carefully reconsider your options. For many people, being bald or being overweight are equally undesirable - it's silly to suggest that one sucks less than the other. Let's face it: they both suck.

All the best - FS

Dont worry FS I agree with what you say about comparison in desirability.

The only point I was trying to make was that that in most cases, weight is something that that can be tackled naturaly, albeit with a lot of hard work and dedication, but tackled none the less.

Maybe Im being naive but Id glady swap my chrome dome for some extra pounds with the comfort that I would have some control to re-attain my desired shape.

I guess Im pretty much restating what everyone here is saying, but Im sure 10 out of 10 guys(including myself) would rather be overweight than bald. I guess how a woman can relate is by thinking of her "worst hair-day" EVER. Remember what your day was like?...Well, its like that for us...just 50x worse! Everyday is a bad hair day becuase everyday is a "little-or-no hair day." This hair loss problem is the worst thing that has ever happened to me, the reason is because you know that youre doomed for the rest of your life, its not a minor setback, or a temporary condition. Eating right and exercising wont make your hair grow back.

Ive spent thousands on a ht recently and await results. I would probably spend all of my money to have a full head of hair again because its not just a cosmetic issue. Being only 23, its a psychological issue as well. I feel that my stress has increased due to this, Im always self conscious, and I dont have the energy that I used to have before. I feel that having a receding hairline and thinning hair makes others see me as dull, boring, and even unhealthy. If I had more hair, I think people would see the real me. The "Young, healty" me, full of life, even if I did the exact same things and acted the exact same way. I know a lot of younger guys like myself going through this probably feel the same way.

I think the general consensus is that there is an option for self-help for those that are overweight. For the most part,mind you. I'm talking about less-than-great diet and excercise overweight not chemical imbalance or predispositioned genes overweight - there is a difference.

Most overweight people COULD, in theory, lose the extra pounds by eating sensibly and getting up off the couch every once in a while. Someone that is thinning has no real recourse like that. As much as we would like to, we cannot count calories and run a few miles a week and see any results. Not one sleeping follicle will "wake up" and sprout to life for even the toughest diet and workout regimen (and I know - I first noticed my hairloss as a 17 year old kid in bootcamp - as if life wasn't stressful enough...OUCH! icon_mad.gif).

But hey, what do I know? I'm follicularly-challenged AND short (5'7"). Beat THAT for not being able to change your *ahem* shortcomings. icon_biggrin.gif

-Robert

Hair loss is a TRAIT, just like freckles, or being short. Getting a hair tranplant to try to address a trait is an extreme step that MOST guys are not willing to do. Think about it! Only a small percentage of guys with hair loss or baldness, will resort to surgery.

What I got out of the first post was her surprise, that it mattered that much. The fact is that NOBODY CARES about your hair loss, nearly as much as we do. Oh sure, maybe there is some a-hole at work who ribs you about it. Maybe there is some shallow girl who only dates guys with Brad Pitt- hair. Maybe if you are very very young and losing hair, it can be hard because it is less common. But nobody really cares all that much, guys. And the fact is that the OLDER you get, the even-more LESS other people care about hair loss, because the more common it is. That a-hole at work who ribs you, will start losing a little eventually. Most of the shallow girls grow up, and wind up dating guys who have some amount of hair loss. When you are older, it's a lot easier to be more philosophical about hair loss, and it no longer seems like the end of the world for some guys, who thought it was the end of the world at first.

If hair loss is the worst thing that happens to you in life, then count yourself lucky. Really!!!

It's VERY possible that some of us are TOO neurotic about our hair. I know this is true when I see guys say things like "Joe Rogan (Fear Factor guy) or Conan Obrien is going bald!!!" I can undertand that guys want to keep their hair because I certainly did. At the same time, lets keep things in perspective!

Originally posted by arfy:

Hair loss is a TRAIT, just like freckles, or being short. Getting a hair tranplant to try to address a trait is an extreme step that MOST guys are not willing to do. Think about it! Only a small percentage of guys with hair loss or baldness, will resort to surgery.

What I got out of the first post was her surprise, that it mattered that much. The fact is that NOBODY CARES about your hair loss, nearly as much as we do. Oh sure, maybe there is some a-hole at work who ribs you about it. Maybe there is some shallow girl who only dates guys with Brad Pitt- hair. Maybe if you are very very young and losing hair, it can be hard because it is less common. But nobody really cares all that much, guys. And the fact is that the OLDER you get, the even-more LESS other people care about hair loss, because the more common it is. That a-hole at work who ribs you, will start losing a little eventually. Most of the shallow girls grow up, and wind up dating guys who have some amount of hair loss. When you are older, it's a lot easier to be more philosophical about hair loss, and it no longer seems like the end of the world for some guys, who thought it was the end of the world at first.

If hair loss is the worst thing that happens to you in life, then count yourself lucky. Really!!!

It's VERY possible that some of us are TOO neurotic about our hair. I know this is true when I see guys say things like "Joe Rogan (Fear Factor guy) or Conan Obrien is going bald!!!" I can undertand that guys want to keep their hair because I certainly did. At the same time, lets keep things in perspective!

I really don't think that anyone in the past posts was arguing any of these facts. You are right, hair loss seen as less important as a person ages. That doesn't mean that just because it gets more acceptable that a person won't think about it - or want to look into their options.

Your statement, "If hair loss is the worst thing that happens to you in life, then count yourself lucky. Really!!! " sounds a bit pompous and exasperated. It is a hair loss forum, Arfy. People are here to talk about it. That doesn't mean that they think about it every waking moment, but the issue is probably going to cross their mind every once in a while when browsing these pages.

I see no reason to belittle a group of posters for sharing their concerns on the issue.

-Robert

Hello All,

I want to thank Ashley for her kind and supportive comments. The parallels between hairloss and weight are definately something I can relate to. My wife constantly tells me that my hair "is a non-issue" to her, although it certainly is an issue for me. Likewise, I am not particularly bothered by her weight, although I know she is uncomfortable about it. I guess when you commit yourself to someone for life it includes loving them "for them", imperfections as well as assets.

However, being overweight or obese carries with it physical health implications that hairloss clearly does not. For this reason I encourage my wife to diet and exercise.

Indeed, it is "what's inside" that really counts. Sadly though in the world today there are individuals who if they don't like what they see outside they're not going to give what's inside a chance. This is especially true professionally and is an ongoing concern to those of us who have had prior hair restoration results that we are self conscious of.

Hair restoration, like any other form of self improvement, is never going to solve all one's problems. Any "issues"and stressors are still going to be there. If done properly though (especially corrections/revisions), it may help our outlook on dealing with those issues.

What that said, I want to add that the status and image of baldness in society has changed drastically for the better since I began losing my hair as a teenager and young adult in the 80's. I think the tide began to turn around 10 years ago. There are many examples of this but one very good one is the TV actor Micheal Chiklis (SP?). When he was "The Commish" back in the early 90's he was just a portly guy with thinning hair, kind of nerdy. Fast forward to the present with "The Shield". With his now completely shaved bald head, buff body,and shades he plays a very cool, tough, macho character. I never used to accept the old line of "Bald is beautiful" but now it really can be and cool! Personally, I think he looks fantastic. Many of us would probably love to be able to do this now but for obvious reasons could not.

PCC