Strip irritation

I had a strip procedure done and it has been 12 days and the strip on the back of my head (stiches have not been removed) are extremely sensitive still and I am scheduled to remove the stiches in two days. Should it still be that sensitive. It is very sensitive to the point of just touch.

I had a strip procedure done and it has been 12 days and the strip on the back of my head (stiches have not been removed) are extremely sensitive still and I am scheduled to remove the stiches in two days. Should it still be that sensitive. It is very sensitive to the point of just touch.

staples are very irrating after about five days. They itch, but provide a nice line compared to stiches. Staples are the best but itch like mad. two weeks of hell is great comapred to the results they give....

Matthew,

Beautiful endorsement for staples, but let's answer the guy's question pal.

Pastor,

I am about 7 weeks post Strip and noticed that during weeks 5 & 6 the sensitivity along the back of my head, middle of the strip, has greatly diminished. At weeks 3 & 4 it still felt sensitive to even lay on a pillow. At this point I have to apply pressure at the same point to feel any sensitivity, while the strip scar on the sides of my head feel completely normal already.

I hope this answered your question.

Pastor,

I had staples, and they were sensitive while they were in. I never really touched them, except for the shower. Up to about 4 weeks the area was still sensitive and I didn't enjoy sleeping on my back, or even using the headrest in my car. Now at slightly past 7 weeks, I'm close to normal including regaining the lost nerve feelings on the top of my head. That was the strangest, but it is coming back pretty quickly lately.

Good luck.

Manko

Pastor,

As with other posters, I also had staples and found them to be more annoying than sensitive. It was a great relief to get them out, but I'd have your incision cheked when you have the stitches removed to insure there is no infection causing the sensitivity. I am almost four months post-op and everything is back to normal along my scarline.

Happy healing,

Mr. T

Pastor...

What do you mean by sensitive? I had my choice of regular stitches, dissolvable stitches, or staples, and I went with regular stitches. I dont recall it being "sensitive". I've had stitches before, and it felt just like any others I've had. Some doctors encourage the use of neosporin to help prevent infection, have you been doing that?

If you've never had stitches before so close to a bone area (i.e. joint or scalp), then perhaps you're just not used to the odd feeling. I'm almost 5 months post-op now, and it's the same odd feeling as my other stitch experiences (not irritating, annoying, or painful...just different). With my other stitches that feeling eventually went away but took awhile.

If you can, have someone look at the back to see if it looks infected.

I don't think the sensitive feeling along the scar line is due to the choice between stitches or staples.

The sensitivity or even lack of sensation is a result of the damage done by the opening of the incision not the closing (plus the skill of the person making it).

It's a matter of taking the strip too high, too low, too deep, too wide, etc. Also, results will vary based on your ability to heal, tension in your scalp, previous scars, thick or thin skin, etc.

So basically there will be some initial discomfort after stitches/staples are removed which will take a few weeks to substantially improve and up to a year to feel 100% healed.