question about medication shampoos

Hi everyone,

Im just curious. Im not going bald (as far as I know) but I do shed about 10-20 hairs a day. I am 32. I have pretty thick hair so i don't notice a difference. But I am a little concerned just because I am getting a little older. So my question is, Is using shampoos like rogane, propecia or any of the other ones out there okay to use for someone who's not balding? I would like to use them to maybe maintain my hair, but I've heard that once you start using these shampoos you have to keep using them. Im afraid that if i start using one of these shampoos my hair will start to depend on it and then once I stop my hair may start to fall out. Is this true?

thanks

Hi everyone,

Im just curious. Im not going bald (as far as I know) but I do shed about 10-20 hairs a day. I am 32. I have pretty thick hair so i don't notice a difference. But I am a little concerned just because I am getting a little older. So my question is, Is using shampoos like rogane, propecia or any of the other ones out there okay to use for someone who's not balding? I would like to use them to maybe maintain my hair, but I've heard that once you start using these shampoos you have to keep using them. Im afraid that if i start using one of these shampoos my hair will start to depend on it and then once I stop my hair may start to fall out. Is this true?

thanks

andy31,

If you are not balding I don't recommend the use of any hair loss products such as Propecia or Minoxodil.

Shampoos on the other hand (other than Rogaine shampoo) should be just fine. You may consider Nizoral 2% a few times a week or Revita which both contains active ingredient ketoconazole - which may have some surface DHT blocking potential. Note: This has not been approved as a treatment for hair loss.

Losing 10-20 visible hairs a day is completely normal. If shedding increases significantly then it may be time to do something.

Bill