question for transplant veterans

I had my second surgery 1300+ grafts 18 days ago. This was all work in the frontal 1/3 of scalp where I'd previously had 900 grafts with poor hairline work.

My question is about fallout and regrowth: After my first surgery I didn't go through the typical pattern I've read about and my surgeon told me about. Virtually all of the transplanted hairs just grew without ever falling out. I know this was unusual, but as a result I didn't gain personal familiarity with the "normal" pattern of fallout and regrowth after surgery.

Over a two day period, around the 14 day mark after the recent surgery, most of my transplanted hair fell out. But within a couple of days I could see quite a few new hairs poking up - some look a little like stubble, but some are a bit longer than that. It almost looks as if many of the transplanted hairs that fell out (maybe 1/4 of them), began to regrow without a resting phase. Is this possible, or is something else going on? Any thoughts anyone with experience?

I had my second surgery 1300+ grafts 18 days ago. This was all work in the frontal 1/3 of scalp where I'd previously had 900 grafts with poor hairline work.

My question is about fallout and regrowth: After my first surgery I didn't go through the typical pattern I've read about and my surgeon told me about. Virtually all of the transplanted hairs just grew without ever falling out. I know this was unusual, but as a result I didn't gain personal familiarity with the "normal" pattern of fallout and regrowth after surgery.

Over a two day period, around the 14 day mark after the recent surgery, most of my transplanted hair fell out. But within a couple of days I could see quite a few new hairs poking up - some look a little like stubble, but some are a bit longer than that. It almost looks as if many of the transplanted hairs that fell out (maybe 1/4 of them), began to regrow without a resting phase. Is this possible, or is something else going on? Any thoughts anyone with experience?

I had a HT almost two months ago. I am continuing to see some hairs shed including the tear drop bulb part at the bottom. If this happens does this mean the graft didn't take, or did some germinal portion of the follicle remain and hopefully will grow after the resting phase?

Yikes! If you're seeing the tear drop shaped bulb base of the follicle along with the shaft, that IS the actual graft, in its entirety, coming out...

Is it happening alot?

Also, if it IS the bulb, then you should see some blood following the loss, like a re-opened wound (which it is, basically).

Not pretending to be a doctor here, guys. I just happen to have asked my doc (Shapiro) the same question, myself, and - having done so - thought I would pass on the words he told me. He said that I would know if it was the actual root of the graft coming out if it was followed by some blood flow - like an opened wound.

There is a similarity in shape to the base of the follicle and the base of the entire graft (as they both "bulb-out"), it's true. That's why I made sure to mention about the bleeding.

The use of the term "Yikes", werewolfhead (and anyone else who didn't catch on to this), was there to convey my sense of concern and empathy, not induce a state of hysteria. Sorry for that little exclamation point at the end there, too - I know they can get kinda scary...

icon_wink.gif

Am I still absolutely, hysterically incorrect?

I was just repeating what Dr Shapiro told me, himself. I would not have presumed to speak on the subject otherwise. Obviously, calling his doctor should be the next port of call.

[This message was edited by HarryLemon on January 06, 2003 at 06:55 AM.]

Let's clear this up:

If your graft site bleeds: you are in trouble, and you might have lost that graft forever.

If your graft appears to wholly fall out: the hair-producing cells embedded in your scalp are still okay and alive. A bigger "piece" of hair falling out does not entail graft loss. This happens all the time, actually (when washing hair, for example).

If you take tweezers and pull a hair from the body, chances are with a good yank, you'll remove the whole hair. But bet on that hair returning later on. It always does!

After about 5 days, it is really, really tough to dislodge a graft. Not saying it can't be done. But you didn't lose a graft due to natural shedding.

Your new soldiers will be gone for a while, but they'll be back stronger than ever in 3-6 months. Gotta have faith in the system!

vocor1

Vocor1,

Amen my brother. The trials and tribulations of the first 4 months can be daunting. The loss of the "new soldiers" (perfect monicker), ingrown hairs, "will my hair ever grow?", "when will my hair grow?", "will the hairline look natural?", "did I do something to damage a graft?", etc. will find its way into all our thoughts. At this point, I believe it's a part of the process. Staying positive, at least intelectualy because we have knowledge on our side, is the perfect message.

Jim

"Temples 'n Crowns Forever"

Uncjim's Hair Loss WebLog

• 6 years later...

Vocor and Uncjim,

Thanks for the helpful information because I just had my first procedure on April 9, 2009 with Dr. Lindsey and his staff.

I am in day 5 post-op and just started applying light pressure with my fingertips when washing the grafts, seemingly with good results, no blood, etc.

Great explanations of the cycle of new grafts and I will try my best not to worry!

Thanks guys icon_smile.gif