Number of Grafts? Pattern/Class Type

Number of Grafts? Pattern/Class

I was wondering if one could estimate how many grafts would be needed for a moderate/moderate to large hair transplant (Pattern 1, Between Class 4 & Class 5)

One of the doctors recommended:

Grafts: 2000 (Crown) & 3500 (Frontal)

What factors would the no. of grafts depend upon?

Thanks for your help.

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

Number of Grafts? Pattern/Class

I was wondering if one could estimate how many grafts would be needed for a moderate/moderate to large hair transplant (Pattern 1, Between Class 4 & Class 5)

One of the doctors recommended:

Grafts: 2000 (Crown) & 3500 (Frontal)

What factors would the no. of grafts depend upon?

Thanks for your help.

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

I got a number from a second doctor too. 2400 grafts. 100% less than the first one. i.e a diff of 3000 grafts i.e $30,000. How does one know how many grafts are actually needed and what to pay?

5700 Grafts, Dr. Hasson

I should have elaborated a little more! Your NW level will determine how many grafts you will need total to give the illusion of a full head of hair! I'll use my self for example. Im a NW6 diffuse thinner. I cant just go and get 6000 grafts, but I can break the sessions up into 2 procedures of 3000 if my donar area allows.

So if your a NW4 and you dont proceed any further 1 session may cover it and you could be done. NW 5,6,7 you will most likley need 2 or more procedures.

Unless your going to some one like Hasson and Wong 5500 grafts in one sessions seems like a bit much, especially with being only a NW4. This doc is thinking about getting it all done in one shot however unless they are really careful there could be quite a bit of transection. Over all 2000 in the back and 3500 would be normal in that kind of case just maybe split into 2 procedures again unless its some one like Hasson and Wong. It appears your 2nd doc was propably concentrating on just the front and would want to wait on the crown.

hawk,

The "multiply your norwood level times 1000" rule is more like a guideline. The number of grafts you will need and how many grafts you are available are sometimes two different things as well.

See also How Many Grafts Will I Need for a Hair Transplant?.

Feel free also to use our animated graft calculator which can be another tool to help you.

Best wishes,

Bill