Bspot 2nd HT

Well-- the look has really improved, still got a long way to go!!!!

For HT #3, we have to hit the sides/lateral humps to tie-everything in and do what I can for the crown.

I hope to get 1500-2000 grafts when I decide to go.

My hair is buzzed down to a #4 guard in these pictures (about a week ago)

9421046763_6F1BD324D1BDFFDB0124AA7705758F15.JPG.thumb 9311046763_61F592C07629DF184A6C27A4DFC3E5BD.JPG.thumb 8841024763_8A18D9C07D56C0B2E0190F342DC76014.jpg.thumb 8531046763_1A73F6D21F1C727D7F4795890007F91B.JPG.thumb 5531024763_2696C49C34F40C1AE3D514201F13F459.front_shot.thumb 5221024763_0B97AF86A22F76774E9CC1FA9EC60532.JPG.thumb 4131046763_8BAD7069750CCE73518C965A8FB6CA1F.JPG.thumb 3911046763_1D09D3533D58801C994B2E1AE0FA2720.JPG.thumb 3631024763_E7565EE0E7C8214138508F59CEC30477.scar_shot__2.thumb 1711046763_8C86D0CFA92C9D4FB15EBEACACE2A936.JPG.thumb 1321046763_0319A7BAA59007370B415E2ACE1D70AF.JPG.thumb

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Ok Guys (and Gals) finally got some pics of my 2nd HT ---14 months post-op and 2 1/2 years after HT #1---- It has been a journey, to say the least, and it still continues!

Quite honestly, I thought I would do 2 largish sessions, and then a touch up session for #3.

But, I have continued to lose some hair, albeit slightly, in my laterals. Enough to finally convince me to begin Propecia and Rogaine foam icon_smile.gif

I am hopeful that my loss and subsequent HT's can help those trying to make the decision a bit easier.

I am very limited by 3 factors: limited donor, slightly less then average characteristics, and LOTS of real estate to cover.

After HT #1 (3100 grafts) I thought that I would be cool with one really big session and maybe some fue to finish off. I had a very thin scar ---you could see it faintly for 2-3 days after I buzzed to a #2 guard.

For HT#2, I really pressed Dr. Shapiro to "Go large" I wanted to hit 4K grafts, really wanted to be over 7K grafts total, thought it would really make a difference. I ended up with 3521 grafts and some issues with a tight scalp--- my first HT we went 1.25 cm wide--

I asked Dr. Shapiro to try and go to 1.5 (to cut out the old scar, and still get max grafts) BUT-- if my scalp was too tight, take some of the old scar but really focus on getting the maximum number of grafts. So we ended up 1.35cm wide on the right side, 1.1cm in the back and 1.2cm on the left side.

The coverage was excellent, but as Dr. Shapiro worked, it really became apparent that we were not going to be able to hit the crown very much at all, so we focused on really getting good coverage, reinforcing the hairline and setting the stage for #3. Trico was used for this closure.

As some of you know, I really fought healing up after this HT. I already had a tight scalp, was forced to go back to work early and lift/climb telephone poles, and my body really fought the internal disolveable sutures. So much so, that I got quite a bit of an infection and had to kill it off with anti-biotics--- that is really no fun, trust me.

After all of this, I end up with a scar wider than my first one about 4-4.5mm, but pretty uniform except for one spot on the right side that is slightly wider.

I will not be doing internal sutures for HT#3

So HT #3-- as many of you know, I started law school full time, so it has limited my opportunities to go for a HT, so I do not know when I will be going-- I dunno it could be soon, could be end of summer.

I think what will happen is we will really do a safe width (for me) this time, at the expense of any grafts I get. If my scar ends up like my first one, I think I will just do fue after that. I am going to be forced to use grafts slated for the crown and re-build my laterals b/c I care more about the front 2/3rds then the back 3rd.

2 things: I really hope everyone takes a close look at just how bald I was when I started, and then see where I am, and actually see where I am going to end up.

Also, I am more then happy with everything at this point, and even though my scar is wider than I would like, I still can get by with a pretty short haircut. I think I will be able to fue out a substantial amount of hair after my next strip, and perhaps experiment with some beard hair like some of my friends are doing in order to increase their donor source.

Anyway, I am still in this for the long haul and over the next year or so, we'll see where we go.

Any prayers offered up on my donor's behalf is greatly appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Jason,

It's great to see you post some updated photos! Clearly you have come a long way.

I am having some difficulty remembering what your hair looked like before so I'm going to have to refresh my memory by looking at your other album. For some reason, I thought your second hair transplant covered a lot more of your bald spot. Maybe you lost more hair?

Edit: I see that you tried to add to your first album too, yes the limit has been changed to 25 photos per album. Click here for the details on this.

I see you are in the midst of uploading more photos. I'll come back later tonight to view them all icon_smile.gif

Bill

hi b,im in agreement with Bill.

your 2nd ht looked as if it had shrunk your crown considerably immediatly post op,but the new pics show a large area still.

is this down to the shortness/lighting?or do you feel youve lost more hair?

when is no3 sceduled?

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Balody, there was a bit of work done in the sides of the crown, but overall I think the redness post-op was misleading--- there will be no serious effort to attack the crown until the laterals/sides are built up first--- more than likely you will see my crown shrink a bit, but I doubt I will ever get it full filled.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the new pics I added--- I've come a long way....

Oh, I currently have my hair cut down short (as you can see in the pics I took myself) but I want to show some concealer pics as well when/if I grow it out again.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Fantastic synopsis of your HT journey, so far!

Two quick q's: you mentioned having a "limited" donor, as one of your 3 difficulties regarding HTs....are you referring to the inherent "limited" donor that we all have, or that your actual donor isn't that great? I ask because having already had 6600+ grafts, and looking at getting 1.5-2k more, your total seems pretty robust....? Also, you mention maxing yourself out with FUE possibly once this is all done...any idea how many extra grafts you might be "squeezing" out?

Thx for the update!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Thana--- characteristics--- even though my graft total is high, it is a bit misleading b/c my individual follicles do not give the average coverage that one could expect.

If I got any additional 1K through strip that would be great.

I am hopeful I could get another 1K through fue.

Anything more would be a blessing.

I am carefully watching some beard hair tests of others to see if that can be used--- but that is only a future potential possibility.

Thanks bro,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Thx for the answers, and I wish you the best in your future pursuits (follicular AND legal), in which you will be, of course, in the best of hands.

And let's go beard hair!

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

B-Spot,

Your grafts looks very natural, kinda thin but hey, who here wouldn't want their hair thicker?

I feel for you as I am in the same boat with a fine caliper of hair shaft. Damn genetics! At least we are blessed with infinite knowledge and loads of testosterone!

Have you considered growing it out and combing straight back?

I think the all-time outsanding cases: Bobman, Jotronic, Bill, Futzyhead etc. all have thicker than average hair shaft diameters and this is the huge differencemaker. They also have not lost too much in the lateral humps, high sides are a real benefit.

Glad to see your new pics and you have come a long way.

ps: If BHT improves, I think i could really help guys like us with the crown.

NoBuzz

Originally posted by notgoing2gobald:
But, I have continued to lose some hair, albeit slightly, in my laterals. Enough to finally convince me to begin Propecia and Rogaine foam

how old are you?

I turned 31 Aug 2007.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

I want to clear up that I am not talking about body hair in general---I don't think it works for most.

I am only talking about beard hair, something that is in its infancy---- a friend of mine is getting a 50-100 graft test in a few weeks (not from Dr. Shapiro), so I will get first hand feedback as to his experience.

BTW, thanks Buzz, Thana, NGTGB for the comments/questions.

Take Care,

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

B Spot,

Your before/after picture comparision pictures are impressive. Clearly you have come along way and even if you don't decide to have additional work done, you still look great. But I can see why you would want to build your laterals before fully attacking the crown.

Bill

Thanks for posting your new photos Bspot. Man, if I were you at 31, I'd either want (a) a full head of hair, which is likely very difficult or (b) go for the shaved look. I think you could pull off the shaved head look pretty good!

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Looks so much better. I like it I know you want more work done but if I was you I would leave the crown alone and maybe go for a simple revision and use whatever grafts if gives you to strenghten whatever you feel needs to be. I would hate for you to risk a very wide scar for the sake of a measly thousand grafts ,being that you now have a tight scalp. I would also talk to doc about sutures instead of staples this time. He just revised my old Nuhart scar and used sutures and for the first time I have no swelling or irritation at the suture line and really not much numbness.

B,

Thanks for the comparison photos. I have been curious as to how things have been coming along for you. There is no doubt that you have come a long way. I appreciate the pics with the longer hair because in my opinion it gives a better indicator of the drastic change. With the short hair it is very challenging to decipher how much of a change has actually taken place.

I understand that it is difficult with the characteristics that you have to get true density. Dr. Ron has certainly given you a very soft and natural hairline. I like your plan of addressing the frontal and mid areas if you are to have another HT.

I will admit though that I am a little concerned for you to have more work given that there is some recession on the nape and already having a wider than preferred scar. Possibly waiting until you are older and reassessing is a wise decision? What does Dr. Shapiro have to say about things?

I agree with Nobuzz that growing hair longer and combing straight back would be another option for filling in the crown. Either way, I am happy for you that you are heading towards your goals and are looking good.

Take care

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Hi B spot

Great write up and very clear with your expectations and what can be achieved.

The hairline looks great and i can see why you will address the laterals next time round and focus on any where else later.

I hope the meds kick in for you and improve your situation.Is there any reason you`ve waited so long to use them.

Thanks and good luck to you

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

hi b,thanks for the pics and update.

i can see a lot of comparisons in our situation ie poor characteristics/donor.

i too thought id sort the front with the first and the crown with the second ht,but after discussing this with dr farjo we too decided to build the sides up first and concentrate on the crown last.

hopefully now i will end up with the side and top looking more "tied in" with a light covering on the crown,thats the plan anyway.

as for donor i dont know if i have enough for a third,but i am happy at how far i have come,as you have mate.

best of luck.

2381 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2201 fut Dr Bessam Farjo

2000+ fut Dr Bessam Farjo

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Bessam Farjo

challenge the unchallenged.

Jason,

You are fired from taking your own pictures. Couldn't you get your brother to take your pictures?????? It's about time you started Rogaine and Propecia.

There's a good chance Jason's results could have been better with the use of both meds from the beginning of his ht journey as he had miniturized hairs we noticed when we were cutting and planting his grafts. I truly hope the meds have a positive effect.

Jason not only has fine caliber hairs but his donor density is also less than average - meaning he had less than the average 3's and 4's. Boo, hiss. His ht goals are very realistic though.

Jeez Janna--- don't sugarcoat it, tell me how you really feel =(

ANYWAY, thanks to all the nice comments from everyone (except Janna--I am sticking my tongue out at you), and FYI I started Propecia today, adding Rogaine later this week.

Again, while my journey may take longer than I estimated originally, I think my results at the end of road are going to be as optimal as humanly possible. Dr. Shapiro has my full confidence, as many of you know =)

Janna did as well, but I am taking her off the list for a few days. =)

Jason

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Hey, I said you had very realistic goals. Besides, you got the watered down version. I've calmed down since yesterday. You know our standards are very high. I don't think you'd want it any other way. =)

HT55,

Dr. Shapiro will use disolveable sutures on the inside to help hold the closeure together when he feels the need for them and then will use either the non disolveable sutures or staples on the outside. Jason's first surgery was done in Oct. 2005.