guidance!!!

I need all the help I can get. Recently I signed myself up for a bosley transplant. I am currently in the early phases of my hair loss. As I dive in to this procedure head first Im starting have many questions. 1 will they disfigure me for life? 2 how noticable will the scarring be from the donor area immediately post op saying that if I return to work in about a weeks time will people look up and say damn! I live in northern pa is there a better surgeon that I should have doing this? Should I not be doing it at all?! I'm almost 23 when I look at my friends with normal post pubesent heads of hair I just get sad and feel like I'm missing out. Looking forward to any guidance and comments. I'm scheduled in about a month and a half.

I need all the help I can get. Recently I signed myself up for a bosley transplant. I am currently in the early phases of my hair loss. As I dive in to this procedure head first Im starting have many questions. 1 will they disfigure me for life? 2 how noticable will the scarring be from the donor area immediately post op saying that if I return to work in about a weeks time will people look up and say damn! I live in northern pa is there a better surgeon that I should have doing this? Should I not be doing it at all?! I'm almost 23 when I look at my friends with normal post pubesent heads of hair I just get sad and feel like I'm missing out. Looking forward to any guidance and comments. I'm scheduled in about a month and a half.

1) Cancel your appointment and ***DO NOT*** go to Bosley under any circumstances. Just do a search for "Bosley" on this site if you need any more persuading. Don't worry if you lose a deposit; you will regret going through with the transplant there for the rest of your life....

2) You are probably too young to begin getting transplants. If you haven't been on Propecia for at least 6 months to stabilize your hair loss, getting a transplant at your age will probably leave you with even less hair than you have now. Do a search on this site under "shock loss." A lot of doctors wouldn't even touch you until you are at least 30. If you don't know what Propecia is, you shouldn't be having a transplant anywhere at this time.

3) Start doing your research on this site by reading as many threads as you can. Spend several months doing so. Yes, there are many better doctors on the east coast but the way you ask the question makes it obvious that you know next to nothing about this procedure and should not be going through with a transplant given your current state of knowledge.

4) Sorry if this all sounds a bit harsh, but I don't think anybody here wants you to make such a big mistake. Many guys reading your post will be shaking their heads and hope you don't go through with it. I hope they can offer you additional advice.

5) Repeat: DO NOT GO TO BOSLEY!

Guest youngguy24

Niceguy, I discourage you from going forward with a hair transplant from Bosley. I went for a consultation with Bosley when I was 23. The SALES PERSON suggested I have 400 to 1200 grafts done, since at the time that's all I could afford. Long story short since I'm diffusely thinning 400 to 1200 grafts would have most likely done more damage than good, since I would most likely have a lot of shock loss. Bosley is also much more expensive than other clinics because of their expensive advertising. If I where you I would go to a dermatologist and discuss Propecia and/or Rogaine. These drugs can make a huge improvement to your hair. I would give them about a year to see how well they work, if you have success with the drugs stay on them, don't stop, unless you have side effects. Dr. Feller is a great surgeon who is located in NY the drive from PA shouldn't take to long. Best of luck to you, hair loss sucks especially at such a young age, I know how you feel.

Take a look at this web site:

http://www.bosleymedical.com/

It's a critical review of Bosley hair practices.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

niceguy,

You have come to one of the best sources on the Net for hairloss advice. The veterans here know exactly what they're talking about. Pay attention to their advice! No one will steer you wrong here. Good luck!

Midi

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Don't go to bosley. Also, location should not be a deciding factor when choosing your HT doctor. You have to remember that this is a result you will have with you for life, and certainly the discomfort of flying to another state/country for a few hours the day before your procedure is relatively minor when you weight up the potential consequences of not doing so.

niceguy... if you don't run from Bosley you'll soon be known as pissedguy! I don't know exactly where you are at in PA, but if your close to Cleveland you may want to contact Dr. Haber's office. IMO, it's highly unlikely he will perform a HT... However, together you can certainly come up with a plan of attack.

Being in PA you are surrounded by great docs. NY, Ohio, Jersey...

If woman don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -Steve Smith 'The Red Green Show'

I think you have recieved some great advice on hear. I disagree and feel you can have a HT at your age many have, but still you need to decide that on your own once you understand everything. A good one for you to talk to is m&m he posts regularly on these forums and can talk with you from personal expirience. good luck

at the risk of repeating what the more knowledgable posters have already said here, don't get an underrate HT and end up back on this site in a years time looking for advice on getting repair work done. Do it right from the start>>>>>> PLEASE>>>>> everyone here wants the best outcome for all the members.

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Well first of all I would like to thank you all for your advice. I've decided to cancel immediately and go back to square one seeing a real doctor. This haber seems like a pretty good one who would look out for my best interests. From the input i've recieved and the research i've done recently i've found that I run to be at a 2 on the scale. If I could stay there that would be just fine with me. Would a regimen of rogaine/propecia make this possible? On a side not I originally wanted to have the procedure done in philly, however the consultant said detroit would be the place to go as they tend to be "a bit more aggressive". I'm starting to think a bit more aggressive means they are not looking out for your long term interests. Again thank you all and I would appreciate any more feedback that comes my way.

niceguy-

I saw the other posts with respect to Bosley and wholeheartedly agree...........stay away. With Doc's like Hasson/Wong, Shapiro, Feller.......all the Coalition Surgeons recommended here, no need to risk it with Bosley's get-you-in-the-chair-at-all-costs mentality along with their inconsistent results- at best!

At 23 being a Norwood 2, you've not advanced as far as many of the younger guys on here who opted for HT at an early age. With youth and minimal loss in your favor, I'd opt for getting on Propecia (and Minoxidil if you like) and you may keep what you have and possibly regrow some. Try it out for a year or two and see how it goes. I started my loss at age 23 and gradually progress to a NW 4+ before my first HT at age 38 (see my blog attached for reference). If I could turn back the clock I'd love to have given Propecia (finasteride) a shot over the long haul. You can always have the HT anytime and technology gets better and better. Keep in mind, Propecia and Minox are lifelong commitments if you want to keep the hair they've help you retain or anything you may regrow with them. I eventually opted for Propecia (actually Proscar, the 5mg variety, quartered) due to the messy regimen that comes with Minox.

If you do opt for a HT, the last thing on the list should be the location. Choose the location based on who will do the best job for you..........the results (good or bad) will last you for life.

Just my $.02-

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Detroit?! Ha.... Run, man, run.... at NW2 there's no reason to be thinking about transplants. Your hairline may just be reaching its final mature position. Get on Propecia and keep doing your research. Good luck!

Guest youngguy24

Niceguy, your very lucky your only a Norwood 2, if I where you I would get on Propecia and see what happens. Rogaine can work well but its messy and can cause scalp irritation. I'm only 2 years older than you and I'm pushing a Norwwod 4 and may already be there. Best of luck to you, I'm glad you cancelled with Bosley. My concultstion was over a year ago with them and they just sent me something in the mail again.

Having been the unlucky recipient of a Bosley procedure, I can personally say - do NOT go to Bosley. I have since had corrective work done by Shapiro and there is simply no comparison. You can see the 'post Bosley' on my weblog of their 'natural' results...

1662 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Spring 2006

1105 with Dr. Ron Shapiro - Fall 2009

M&M Weblog

Man what a hassle to cancel the appointment. Everytime I thought I had finished and was ready to hang up the lady would say "but why". 15 minutes of "but why?". Anyway today I get started on my propecia. I understand there's a bit of a loss period, I really don't mind about the sexual side effects...not gettin much these days anyway. What I was wondering is as someone with a thinning head of hair is it possible to achieve a thicker head of hair. I would love a hair loss halt to keep what I've got as I have grown fond of my widows peak. any continued advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi Nice

I wouldn't be too worried about the sexual side effects as it is an extremely low %.. I've been on Propecia for years without any side effects. What it will do for you is halt your hair loss and regrow a small bit.. Hard to gerneralize your indivdual results but that's what it did for me.. You are smart to cancel your HT appt without doing further research.. There are to many good docs to visit any "chain" establishement.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I know two guys in their early 20's who started Propecia about 7 months ago. It has been great for them and I don't think they have had any side effects. I am not a fan of Rogaine but I have seen enough on this web site and others to know that Propcecia works for guys that still have their hair. I would get on that for a year and see what happens. Also, as someone who was butchered and lost more hair than I gained from my first HT in my 20's, I would run from Bosley. Good luck.

Propecia actually gives you a slight raise in your testosterone levels; I actually have patients' claim that they have an increased libido; of course this is after I tell them about the increase in testosterone.

In my opinion it is purely psychological, since the placebo group in the studies experienced the same side effects.

The nice thing about Propecia is that it has an extremely short half life, and so any side effect can be gone within a day.

I am the patient coordinator for Dr. Scott Alexander in Phoenix, Arizona. Dr. Alexander's Coalition Membership Profile