This 33-year-old man underwent a follicular unit transplantation (FUT) session with Dr. Carlos K. Wesley in which a total of 2633 grafts were placed.
The patient’s hair follicles were incubated in platelet rich plasma (PRP) throughout the duration of the procedure.
This, combined with an ATP-containing storage solution has been shown to enhance survival of transplanted hairs.
As with all of Dr. Wesley’s patients, he was NOT required to cut his hair for the procedure.
As a result, this patient was able to return comfortably to work and social activities within approximately 7-10 days of his procedure.
The patient returned 10 mos. after his procedure and images of the patient can be seen below.
In 2011, I underwent FUT surgery with Dr. Rahal and while I am still happy with the overall results, my scar has always been very noticeable and this forces me to keep my hair rather long.
Recently, I went back to the Dr. Rahal for his opinion on the matter and inquired about having FUE done into the scar. While he did say it was possible and gave me an approximate cost for the procedure, I can't say I left his office convinced and I didn't feel like he seemed to think it was worth it.
I am naturally suspicious when it comes to money and that's why I am here to ask for other opinions.
I do understand that I might have to keep my hair long for the rest of my life but I would have like the possibility of going a little bit shorter.
My scar It is about 3cm long and 4cm wide at it's worst and I have included a picture. The only solution I have right now is to use Toppik but it is not ideal.
My general impression from other similar threads is that FUE inside a scar generally fail and a second strip excision will likely produce the same results...
I am 32 and made the mistake of having a hair transplant when I simply do not have a enough hair on my head to fill my frontal or crown. Not enough supply for the demand. I should have paid more attention in economics class before undergoing the procedure. So, now I am stuck with the typical ear to ear FUT scar with a balding top of my head. I think I can maintain this for at least 10 years and look simply like a thin 30 something old. My question is should I attempt an excision/revision or simply put FUE into my scar in attempt to trim it down to a respectable level all around (hoping for 1/4 inch or less with slight scar showing only)? My scar is 2-3 mm wide all around. I know there are plenty of you out there that have had this decision to make and it either bit you or you were successful. Maybe it is not worth the risk for the possibility of a 50% improvement?
Let me know what you guys think?
Hey everyone, I am new to this board. I need help PLEASE. 3 weeks ago I had an 500 FUE's removed from donor area and placed into my hairline. This is a second procedure to fill in from a previous one that was not successful. The Doctor shaved down three rows in which to extract the grafts.
2 days ago I got a haircut, and those three rows looked puffy somehow and it had visible see-through. At first I figured maybe it was due to the difference in length between donor hair and shaved hairs. So I cut the back a bit more, and to my surprise, I could see 3 distinct rows of see-through smileys.
Immediately I became upset and couldn't believe this was happening. This was supposed to be the procedure to finish up my hairline. This wasn't how I saw other donor areas on FUE transplant photos. I did some research and the only conclusion I can come up with is that too much hair was extracted from the sites. Also, I can see some punch marks that were dark, so I looked at them closely and I can see the hair intact, so there are a number of what appears to be unsuccessful grafts.
Please everyone I really need your feedback. I am completely distraught and haven't slept in two days.
Is this something that is permanent, could it be shock loss? And most importantly, can this be fixed? Basically, go back and get thin areas filled in?
Lastly, at what point should I consider full regrowth from shock loss, damaged hair to be done and whatever state more donor is in will be the final result.
I am not going to disclose the doctor yet, as I am awaiting his response to my email. Reason being, I don't want to call anyone out if I am over-reacting.