Jump to content
  • entries
  • comments
  • views

Keep on the headband



It’s been three full days since my HT and apart from the expected pain from the donor site and the constant feeling that your skin no longer fits your head, everything had been going well. That was until last night (third night since op). I woke at least every two hours with significant pain from the donor site. I had used up nearly all the painkillers Dr Pong had given me and even popped a few Ibuprofen to try and numb the pain. It felt as though the swelling was getting to the point where the sutures were under pressure (of course I have no idea if this was the case). I ended up doing some research on the net and discovered that ice may bring the swelling down, so I dutifully called the front desk and asked for a bucket of ice. I originally called Housekeeping but they had no idea what I meant and I think even reception was a little confused too because they said “just ice” several times. I can’t really blame them it was 4am in the morning.

I carefully removed the band around my head and iced both my forehead and the donor area, as the website I found suggested. This took about 15-minutes. I then replaced the headband, put an extra pillow under my head and went back to sleep. In the morning I woke to find that the evolutionists were right and we had descended from apes. Worst still, I was the missing link! The swelling had moved from my forehead down the both sides of my face, just in front of the ears. I looked ludicrous. Of further concern was that there was a small amount of blood on my pillar – I had never had blood on the pillow, even on the first night, so this seemed strange.

Thankfully, I was scheduled to go back to Dr Pong’s, so I could get his professional opinion. Of course the first thing the technician who saw me said was that I should not take the headband off, but I thought the swelling seemed a little too severe to have occurred in the few minutes I had the headband removed to apply the ice. Dr Pong examined the donor site and said that it was looking fine and he could see no reason why there would be blood. He gave me some more painkillers and advised me to keep the headband on and that he would take another look tomorrow.

In the meantime, it will take a number of days for the swelling to go down, so I better steer clear of the University Biology department just in case I end up stuffed in the museum.

1 Comment

Recommended Comments

  • Senior Member



Sorry to hear about the swelling! Hope everything goes okay from here on out.


Blake (Future_HT_Doc)

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...