Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Top  
Old 10-27-2012, 08:17 PM

Red face How many grafts would I need.

Hey all. First post here. In fact, first post in any forum of this kind. I guess by registering to a hairloss forum I'm finally admitting I'm suffering the early stages of male pattern baldness.

My Dad has a full head of hair to this day and he's 46. I'm 21 and have more of a receeding hairline than him and more thinning at the crown. My mum's Dad and brother are totally bald at the top. I know the bald gene comes from the Mother's side so I've came to terms (sort of) that I'm probably getting this from her side of the family.

Like everyone else, It's really getting me down to the point where I'm constantly thinking/stressing about it, probably resulting in even more hairloss!

I've decided I'm going to start using regaine to help regain some thinned hair on my crown, however looking into things I discovered that this won't help my hairline.

I was wondering if anyone on here had any experience with hair transplants who could help me out a bit.

I want to restore my hairline but not sure how many grafts I would need to bring my hairline down to the level I want it. I've attached a photo of my head, one of the images has a red line marking where I'd like my hairline to be. I just want it to be a bit straighter and lower.

Does anyone know roughly how many grafts I would need and what the usual cost of such a procedure would be?

Would really appreciate any feedback!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hair.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	35591  
  #2   Top  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

Here is my feedback: You DON'T need a hair transplant! I don't see any balding. Looks like you're mature hairline is developing. No qualified surgeon on the planet would touch you. If you're really that worried then get on fin and/or Rogaine.
  #3   Top  
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Your hair looks fine man. You should not worry about it now. Like what BadBeat mentioned, most PROFESSIONAL and ETHICAL surgeons won't operate on you at this age. You may get on rogain or fin to keep what you have.
Good Luck
  #4   Top  
Old 10-27-2012, 10:04 PM

Thanks a lot, guys. It's good to hear I'm just being paranoid. Although I'm definitely going to go bald at some point so I'd like to do all I can to keep as much of my hair as possible. Boots is doing a deal just now. 12 month supply of regaine for ?180. Other than this. What other things would you recommend taking alongside this? I don't know what the best brands are etc for propecia. I already bought alpecin double strength shampoo and alpecin liquid.

Is there anything else I can be doing?
  #5   Top  
Old 10-28-2012, 05:40 AM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Click on Spex' profile and go to his website Spexhair
You'll find all you need to know on there man.
  #6   Top  
Old 10-28-2012, 07:31 AM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

propecia and minoxidil should sort you out and keep those fears at bay

Propecia daily
12.5% minoxidil once daily
5% Kirkland minoxidil foam a few times per week
Avodart once/twice per week

#7   Top  
Old 10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

You have received some good advice johnbradley . My advice is always to wait . You are still a young man and medications make more sense .
  #8   Top  
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 PM

DO NOT even think about having a hair transplant right now. Your hair looks great. Your hairline is right where it should be! If you are sure that you are losing hair, then consider the aforementioned medications. Have you compared photos of your hairline to a few years ago? You do not look like you are receding to me, you have a mature hairline as opposed to a juvenile "straight" style hairline. You hair looks great!

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal
  #9   Top  
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM

I don't think it's right to say it's just a mature hairline. My hairline went from juvenile to the one seen in the original posters photos, 4-5 years later my hairline was awful.

It's true that you may not be going bald. It COULD be just a mature hairline. The fact is we have no way of knowing. I think you need to go and get it checked for miniaturisation. If you ARE losing your hair then propecia and minoxidil should sort out that crown and should keep your hairline in tact (maybe even grow a bit more too, mine did). Catching it early is the key, right now it is VERY early for you.

HT is definitely out of the question for you though, I'd say.

Propecia daily
12.5% minoxidil once daily
5% Kirkland minoxidil foam a few times per week
Avodart once/twice per week

#10   Top  
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM

Tommy, you could be right. But Johns hairline does not look like it is receding to me. It looks like a mature hairline. Some people have a mature hairline from their early teens. Its just how their hairline is. Only he knows if he has experienced hairloss, and obviously photos would help him analyse this. Whilst I agree with everybody, getting on meds, the earlier the better would be preferential regarding halting the hairloss, if he has no hairloss, it would be foolish to even begin with the meds. That for me, is so very important!
I take Finasteride. I am a very healthy minded person, following a Paleo diet, eating grass fed meat and organic veg. I analyse every little thing that I digest. I hate, and I mean hate the idea of taking any type of medication, especially on a daily basis. Yet, when weighing up the pros and cons of Propecia, I have made the educated decision to use it. However, if this is not necessary, then, in my opinion, it would be insane to take it. Therefore, an honest evaluation on hairloss or no hairloss is essential here. Not just an insecurity over a mature hairline (which I am not saying that this is!).

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal