Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews Share your own hair transplant experiences with others here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:14 AM
New Real Hair Club Member

Default Compare three surgeons

Hello,

I am struggling to compare various surgeons and taking pictures off their websites is not a great way to go about it.

I am in Ireland and willing to to travel abroad to get a top quality transplant.

Could you tell me exactly how to compare these three surgeons? Thanks.

I am a Norwood IV and looking to get as thick a coverage as possible.

Dr. Feller (New York): Hair Transplants New York / New Jersey, Long Island and International - The best hair transplant surgeon – Dr Alan Feller

Dr. Farjo (UK): Hair Transplant | Hair Transplant Surgery & Clinic | UK | Farjo

Dr Maurice Collins (Ireland): (Link removed by moderator - See Terms of Service)

Last edited by TakingThePlunge; 10-26-2012 at 12:32 AM.
  #2   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Celestial Follicle Club Member

When I was researching, my short list included Dr. Feller (who I chose), H&W, and Rahal. There were other docs I considered, but these clinics showed numerous consistent results and held stellar reputations. They were on a level playing field. I chose Dr. Feller because I clicked well with him, and he was located in my backyard. I suggest you broaden your scope a bit and look at some other clinics.

As for the ones you mentioned, I would put Dr. Feller on top. Farjo is doing some good work, but for my money I have more faith in Dr. Feller. I don't know much about Dr. Collins. His site has some decent results, but it is hard to tell from the pics how refined the work is. It also doesn't say much about what type of surgery technique he uses, which always concerns me. I would want to be 100% certain the surgeon I chose was using the most modern technology and using ultra-refined techniques. HT surgery has changed rapidly in just the past ten years, and you want to be sure you're not going to someone using outdated methods.

Do your homework, and best of luck!
HT #1: Karamikian Unknown # of grafts Sept.2006

HT#2 Nov.23rd, 2007
Dr.Feller
Almost 3200 grafts via strip

HT#3 April 2010
Fue 200/side into temple points

HT#4 February 2011

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Feller
  #3   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
New Real Hair Club Member

Dr. Feller does have the reputation online but I am looking for more tangible ways to contrast and compare the three surgeons to see the benefits of each and use one to highlight the flaws of another to improve my understanding of what each offer.
  #4   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Dublin, Here's the most sound way to decide on a HT doctor, IMO:

1) Start by doing online research (understand HTs first and foremost, look at results offered by each clinic that interests you, talk to patients). Do this for a few months.
2) Consult with each clinic. Ideally you should have consults in person. If not possible, do them online/over the phone
3) See their work, up close and personal (call the clinic and see if they have patients in your area willing to display)
4) Come up with a list of pros and cons of each. This can include factors like results you saw, type of work you need done (i.e., strip, fue, graft amount, etc.), travel, cost, and just personal vibe.

HT#2 Nov.23rd, 2007
Dr.Feller

HT#3 April 2010

HT#4 February 2011

#5   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

Hey Dubin,

In my opinion, from the three Doctors that you have mentioned, Dr Feller undoubtedly has the best reputation online. But this in itself, is much deeper and informative than just having, "the best reputation online". Think about it, there is a reason for this. Reasons such as, for many years he has provided cases consistantly showing the very best results achieved anywhere. He is totally accountable, either through Spex, or himself, he will explain/answer any question/query/problem that any potential patient, or an actual patient has or has had. His opinions and ideas regarding every step of the procedure, from consultations right through until post HT care and follow ups are explained and available to view, through videos and text. The fact that you can personally go directly to several of his patients via this website, with no input from Dr Feller or his people, and ask them their experiences/opinions/results/feedback. This, in my opinion is an invaluable tool of research and aiding you to select the correct Doctor for you. Perhaps there are other incredibly talented Doctors out there, that this or other such communities are not aware of, but without the trials of this such community, it would be almost impossible to conduct such a thorough research project on each Doctor. So therefore, going ahead with a procedure with an "unknown" Doctor, also comes with potentially higher risks and unanswered questions.
Dr Feller is undoubtedly incredibly talented and achieving amazing results on a daily basis. There are also other Doctors doing equally great work. Research far and wide. But dont underestimate the thoroughness and usefulness of the tool that is this community. That is just my take on things.
I wish you all the success in selecting your Doctor and even more so on your journey there on. It would be great if you kept us all updated!

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal
  #6   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 AM

Raphael makes excellent points. This forum is not the be-all-end-all of the HT world, but you can rest assured that the elite HT surgeons are on this site. Dr. Feller has a stellar rep online because his work is that good. Sure, there might be other clinics this forum/community doesn't know about doing great work, by why risk it when you have a sure thing? The reality is there are also several clinics doing sub par and outdated work, and I would not want to roll the dice on such a procedure.

The beauty of this forum is that it offers transparency. You have countless results from clinics and patients alike. It gives you instant access to the best, and sometimes worst, HT work being done.

That being said, I still recommend any patient sees some HTs in person if they have not.

HT#2 Nov.23rd, 2007
Dr.Feller

HT#3 April 2010

HT#4 February 2011

#7   Top  
Old 10-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

Plus, just as a little addition. There may be surgeons not recommended on here that produce great work, as good as the top Doctors on here. But I feel very confident that there are not any, that are producing better work. So therefore, why take the risk, you cannot be any surer in your decision, than by selecting a pre screened Doctor recommended on this site. We are so lucky. There are hundreds if not thousands of people who have over the years, done all of the hard work for us in getting us to where we are today.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal
  #8   Top  
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Forum Co-Moderator

There are certainly doctors doing quality work that are not recommended by our community. In order for a hair restoration surgeon to become recommended, they must express interest in and agree to meeting our rigorous recommendation criteria. Not all docs are willing to open themselves up to this kind of scrutiny and not all docs that want to be recommended perform to our high standards. To learn about our criteria for recommending physicians, click here.

You've received some great advice above. Carefully scour communities like this one for information on any doctor you are considering. Consult with them and try to contact or even meet with real patients.

You may also find our Hair Restoration Websites informative. These sites are created by real patients sharing their honest experiences, both good and bad.

Best of luck!

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website
  #9   Top  
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Mentor Real Hair Club Member

Out of the 3 you have mentioned there, Dr.Feller is the most respected, but the big question before you start is what type of procedure you want, FUT or FUE??

Reason you need to decide this is that different surgeons favour different approaches (for different reasons), e.g Dr.Feller tends to favour performing FUT (though does FUE as well), whereas other surgeons (like the one i used) no longer perform FUT as they deem it 'old practice' and will now only do FUE, even though it's more effort for the surgeon and more expensive for the patient.

Also, be aware that the recommended list on here isn't the holy grail... Not all HT surgeons want to pay subscription fees to be recommended by on-line forums as they don't see the need, their results speak for themselves.

For example, i questioned the surgeon who performed FUE on me as to why she wasn't on the recommended list on here and her response was that she is already recognized by official medical boards, has 8yrs of experience and has enough work coming to her from recommendations based on high quality results, therefore would not be interested in internet forums to further promote her work.

Bottom line is this... speak to patients, study this forum in great detail in terms of procedure types and results and speak to the surgeons.

If it helps, i had my FUE procedure done in Turkey with fantastic results, i couldn't be happier. No complications, no problems, natural design, perfect yield and no scarring. To top it off, prices in Turkey are approximately 50-70% less than elsewhere. Search the forum for my blog thread for details that might help you out... with a non recommended surgeon.
  #10   Top  
Old 10-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

There are lots of other websites you need to research for results , experiences etc as said this site isnt the Be all and end all. It takes time to do all this research.

Personally i think going to the US from Europe for Hair restoration these days is madness and not required now. Just unnecessary stress after the procedure with travel , airports etc. not to mention cost.

The quality of the results coming from Belgium Dr feriduni , Dr Bisanga and others. Along with Dr Lorenzo in Spain are on a par or exceed anything coming from the US. There are various other clinics like Turkey above also we are now seeing results of very high calibre. Do your research.