Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Top  
Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 PM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Default 1000 grafts to hairline.

So about 12 years ago I got a hair transplant of about 200 to 300 grafts to the front hairline. I guess it was just to thicken things up a bit. Everything was fine after that and I didn't worry about it till the last couple of years. I never took any meds for prevention and went on with a hairstyle that just hid the receding hairline. I look at pictures of me now and even five years ago and my hair in front is much thinner. I have recessed a bit back from the original small amount of grafts and decided to do something about it. I just had 1000 grafts put into the hairline to thicken it and fill in the area that has receded from the original grafts and native hair that is there. I did not lower the hairline or temples which I would of liked to I think. The doctor recommended 800 grafts and I ended up with 1000 by time we finished. He thinks this is sufficient and I will not need another transplant. I also started propecia about three days before the transplant. I am nervous that I did not get enough grafts because as I have been ghost reading on here and other sites I notice a lot of people talking about how 1000 grafts does nothing. It is discouraging to think I am going through all this and will have to do it again in a year. I also see all these amazing before and after pictures of men who have had around 3000 grafts. Well I am also about 1/3rd as bald as these men so wouldn't that mean 1000 would be effective? I am thirty four years old and would love some positive responses from anyone who has had a smaller procedure or knows about smaller procedures that are effective. I spent $4,500 I ended up getting financed for $8,000 on the day of the procedure I asked the doc if I should get more grafts and he said the 1000 was good. Wouldn't he of put more if he thought I needed it as I had the financing. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance in my decision. I appreciate your feed back. I should of taken a before picture and I am on day four post op. My hair is long and over my grafts I don't want to try to pull it back to take a pic and risk harming the grafts so I will wait till they heal to take a picture.
  #2   Top  
Old 10-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

Hey getsome,

It really depends on the level of your loss and your desire results/expectations.
May I ask at this stage, which Doctor was your surgery with?

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Rahal
  #3   Top  
Old 10-20-2012, 06:43 PM

Hey Raphael,
Thanks for the response. I don't have very much loss. Just a receding hairline and needed to fill the temples. I I think I would of liked to lower them but I guess I can do that in the future. My question now is will 1000 be enough to fill the area of recession on both temples. I still had a hairline there I'm not sure if it was from the 200 grafts that were put there years ago or if the hairline was a combo of native hair and those grafts. I was getting thin behind the grafts and along the hairline, maybe receded back about 1 inch on both sides. I do have very fine, straight brown hair. I know it is hard to judge without pics. I will post some as soon as the grafts heal and I can pull my hair back.
  #4   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 06:27 AM

I'm no Doctor, but it does seem rare to only have 1000 grafts. I'm presuming via the FUT route? The smallest sessions that I generally see right now are 1500/1600 minimum. I suppose for very simple reasoning, the cutting and removal of the donor, and the down time post HT seems an even bigger deal for as little as 1000 grafts.
Having said that, you are quite right that it could all be relative. For example, you explain that you had a delicately receding hairline in the temple area. Well, I had 4000 grafts but that completely rebuilt my hairline, my frontal third, mid scalp and right up until the beginning of my crown, which I would presume would be more than four times the area of your 1000 graft procedure. So it could all be relative.
I understand that you feel that you are not in a position to post photos right away, but obviously that would help members give more accurate/constructive feedback so could be useful for you when you can. Also, if you are looking for assurances, detailing the name of your Doctor would/could go a long way in regards to members to extend their opinions.

#5   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:21 AM

Default attached a photo

I just attached a photo, It's not a great shot but hopefully it helps. My procedure was in San Diego with Dr Mayer and my experience was great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h 1000.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	35343  
  #6   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Default another picture

another picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m h.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	35344  
  #7   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM

Hope this helps. This is 6 days post op. 1000 grafts through out the whole hair line and mostly those temples. I had 200 to 300 grafts about 12 years ago. Wondering if this small procedure will be effective.
  #8   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:49 PM

I'm not personally familiar with Dr Mayer. What attracted you to Dr Mayer over the many other HT Drs in California? Did the Doctor shave down any of your existing hair from your hairline?
You still have a great head of hair, and whilst generally more than 1000 grafts would be used to "densely pack" this area of the hairline, depending on your pre op situation, maybe these 1000 grafts will bring you your desired results. I hope so.

#9   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM

Check out the following thread. May make you feel a little more confident about your procedure.
http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...o-barusco.html

#10   Top  
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM

:Thanks for the link Raphael. I think the difference between Adam and I is he has thicker hair and barely had a hairline issue to begin with. If you look at his before pictures there was barely any recession. He has had three transplants and all of it to the hairline. I'm not sure how many grafts he got in his first procedure but he got over1500 in his second and over 1200 in his third. So therefor he has at least 1500 more grafts than me, thicker hair and less of a recession. His hair does look great though. I was trying find someone who has about 1000 to 1300 in the hairline as that is about what I have there. I didn't get it shaved down. The doctor really thinks this is enough. I hope so If not maybe another 1000 grafts in a year or so. I guess I will have to wait and see. It's hard for me to predict my results though as there are so many conflicting opinions on the size of my procedure.