Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Top  
Old 10-09-2012, 12:15 AM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Default New Here - Need Advice

Hello Everyone - I am 39 Years old from India , I am married with a loving wife & 2 wonderful kids - I started losing hair around 15 - 16 years ago - It was drilled into my head , that since your father is bald , you will go Bald & you can do nadda about it - Wish i had started with Procepia & minoxidil - Would have saved a lot of hair - I am a norwood 7 Now & Buzz it down to 1 or 0 - It looks quite good , at least according to me - I have basically accepted my Baldness & have no problems with it - But sometimes i wonder , what i would look like with some more hair on my head & so just a thought to consider Hair Transplant Surgery.

My Expectations are very realistic & that too only if my donor hair ( considering i am Norwood 7) is sufficient for surgery - My Plan is to go for FUE & reconstruct my Hair Line & some top coverage if possible - Basically i want to go from Norwood 7 to Norwood 3 /4 if possible & then buzz it to 1 or 2 if possible - Please everyone let me have your views on it.

I think this a wonderful forum & i hope to contribute very positively.
  #2   Top  
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 AM
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member

sajushair,

Welcome! I encourage you to consult with a recommended hair restoration physician. In India we recommend the following...

Dr. Pathuri Madhu - Hyderabad
Dr. Radha Palakurthi - Siripuram Visakhapatnam

If neither of these docs is conveniently located to you, you can always schedule online consultations with them or with any of the doctors we recommend worldwide. However, let me comment on a couple of things. First, though I really don't like to make assessments based on a single photo, you appear to me to be a Norwood VI in this photo.

Secondly, if you are a candidate for hair transplant surgery, given your degree of hair loss, FUT (strip surgery) is probably going to be your best in terms of providing an adequate graft count in a single session. But, you not no longer be able to buzz your hair to a 1 or 2 as the linear scar will be visible at that length. In a best case scenario you may be able to buzz to a 3 but more likely a 4.

If you go the FUE route (again assuming you are a candidate), you would probably need to undergo multiple smaller sessions to the get a desirable result and the cost will be higher. However, you will likely be able to buzz your hair much shorter as desired.

You will get lots of differing opinions but until you consult (preferably in person) with a few hair restoration physicians, you won't really know what your realistic expectations should be.

Best of luck!

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

My hair restoration journey:

1833 grafts on April 26, 2010 by Dr. Scott Alexander - Follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS)
2516 grafts on January 2, 2009 by Dr. Scott Alexander - Follicular unit strip surgery (FUSS)

View my Hair Loss Website
  #3   Top  
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM

Think you should do it, some great docs do that and DR. Dorin just put some great pics up. Worth visit to NYC
  #4   Top  
Old 10-11-2012, 03:30 PM

Thank You David for your advice - Have taken your suggestion & have done online consultation including sending pics to both Dr Madhu & Dr Radha - Have also put up my pics on another thread ( am i candidate for HT) - do check them & give your views - Thanks once again
  #5   Top  
Old 10-11-2012, 09:14 PM

I just had one myself and I would consider myself somewhat borderline (NW 6).

In my inexpert opinion, I honestly don't think you are going to get good results attempting it. The best you may be able to do is cover the front and forget the crown.

FUE is out of the question..... you will need at least 3500 grafts (presuming average density of ~2, which it doesn't look like you have) to cover the top. FUT is the only viable option in your case. If you have average density, that will mean a scar that will run ear to ear across the back of your head.

So if you do FUT (or I suppose FUE for that matter) you are committing yourself to having some hair on your head to cover the scar(s). So be sure you are ready to commit to that and be realistic with your expectations.

I know my surgeon (highly respected/known) would probably tell you that this is not the thing for you.....

Before you do it, get 2 opinions from known/reputable surgeons.

Sorry, I know it is a bummer....
  #6   Top  
Old 10-11-2012, 11:10 PM

Thanks Nagen for the reply , I appreciate your Honest Opinion , Thats whats this forum is all about , Glad i found it ,instead of getting conned in the market - I am 39 , have lived with Baldness for around 6-8 years now & have embraced it & so has my wife -lol - She thinks i look nice with a Buzz Cut No 1 - So its not a problem for me - But in future if some miracle cure which is easy does come out then i would definately Go for it - Thanks Again Pal.