Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Non Surgical Treatments for Baldness > Hair Loss Drugs

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Loss Drugs Share your opinions and experiences regarding drugs like Propecia (finasteride), Minoxidil and others.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #91   Top  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:29 AM
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasto View Post
How about these about general medicine and research being propensely biased( apply it to the infamous Propecia trials, especially the fishy Japanese one where a ridiculous percentage of side-effects were purported).

The drugs don't work: a modern medical scandal | Ben Goldacre | Business | The Guardian
What was wrong with the Japanese Propecia study? Published in a legitimate journal, conducted by third party scientists, void (from what I can tell) of "big pharma" influence, etc.

Aside from the results, did you have issues with the methodology? The statistics used to analyze the data? Did you note bias with the sampling or randomization?

Just curious as to whether or not people think it's a bad study or simply don't believe the results.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
  #92   Top  
Old 09-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

"Tons of people on a message board" complaining about propecia seems to me to give a very misleading sample of patients that have a problem with taking the drug. For every 5 people that complain isn't there roughly 90-95 people that use the drug successfully that we almost never hear from?

It seems to me that the statistically few people that have problems, want to pretend it's some huge percentage of patients that have problems with propecia when that is not at all the case. Then they suggest "well there might be problems down the road", but we could say that about any drug or chemicals we are exposed to.

I am sorry for the patients that don't tolerate propecia well, but it seems pretty clear by numerous studies that they are in the overwhelming minority.

Pro-FUT - Pro-Patient - Pro-Truth !
  #93   Top  
Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

I agree with you Shampoo.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.
  #94   Top  
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM
Hard Core Real Hair Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_HT_Doc View Post
What was wrong with the Japanese Propecia study? Published in a legitimate journal, conducted by third party scientists, void (from what I can tell) of "big pharma" influence, etc.

Aside from the results, did you have issues with the methodology? The statistics used to analyze the data? Did you note bias with the sampling or randomization?

Just curious as to whether or not people think it's a bad study or simply don't believe the results.
Evaluation of efficacy and safety of finasteride ... [J Dermatol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Let's start by the racial bias. All the patients were Japanese.

"Safety data were assessed by interviews and laboratory tests in all men enrolled in the study."

Interviews for health issues? There are some health problems that are not easily targeted by pain complaints...

But the highly biased claim in the conclusion is right at the end:

"In Japanese men with AGA, oral finasteride used in the long-term study maintained progressive hair regrowth without recognized side-effect."

Without recognized side-effect? There is no medicine out there without side-effect and yet they are able to construct such a claim?

Evaluation of efficacy and safety of finasteride 1*mg in 3177 Japanese men with androgenetic alopecia - SATO - 2011 - The Journal of Dermatology - Wiley Online Library

There is no information on the funding, as well.
  #95   Top  
Old 09-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Forum Co-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasto View Post
Evaluation of efficacy and safety of finasteride ... [J Dermatol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Let's start by the racial bias. All the patients were Japanese.

"Safety data were assessed by interviews and laboratory tests in all men enrolled in the study."

Interviews for health issues? There are some health problems that are not easily targeted by pain complaints...

But the highly biased claim in the conclusion is right at the end:

"In Japanese men with AGA, oral finasteride used in the long-term study maintained progressive hair regrowth without recognized side-effect."

Without recognized side-effect? There is no medicine out there without side-effect and yet they are able to construct such a claim?

Evaluation of efficacy and safety of finasteride 1*mg in 3177 Japanese men with androgenetic alopecia - SATO - 2011 - The Journal of Dermatology - Wiley Online Library

There is no information on the funding, as well.
You'd be hard pressed to find a legitimate study without half a dozen flaws like you pointed out.

I've listened to individuals with PhD's in physiology, medically related fields, etc, absolutely rip incredible studies from the New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of the American Medical Association, etc, to shreds. In the end, no study will ever be perfect.

However, I still think the Japanese Propecia study was one of the better finasteride-based studies to date. Frankly, it offers some objective data into an arena of theories, opinions, and n = 1 experiences, and I appreciate that.

Having said that, I do think the issue needs to be analyzed further. This research is far, far from over, and I look forward to future studies (despite what the results may be).

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

#96   Top  
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM

All I can say is in 2.5 years on Propecia and my hair is a million times better than it was, and my manhood is working perfectly.

Propecia daily
12.5% minoxidil once daily
5% Kirkland minoxidil foam a few times per week
Avodart once/twice per week

#97   Top  
Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 AM
New Real Hair Club Member

Be interesting to see what kind of information come out about the drug when the inevitable class action lawsuits start against the manufacturers
  #98   Top  
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Forum Co-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonboycharlie View Post
Be interesting to see what kind of information come out about the drug when the inevitable class action lawsuits start against the manufacturers
The class action lawsuits have already started.

I also wanted to add one small comment:

regardless of whether or not persistent sexual side effects affect a very small or larger than expected number of hair loss sufferers, I feel awful for individuals and wish it never happened to anyone. If there is anything our community can do to help hair loss sufferers with these issues, don't hesitate to send any of the moderators a private message.

#99   Top  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

Bottom line is each individual can only garner their opinon on this drug from their own personal experience.

Mine is an awful experience in which it took over a year to recover having been on the drug for nearly 4 years without side effects.

I have recovered though now. Good luck to everyone on it. The side effects and lifetime commitment was definitly not for me though or to lose everything gained once i stopped taking it.

But if it works for people , good for them. I hope they dont get hit with the sides. I just get a really bad gut feeling about this drug and a future massive medical scandal. Sincerley hope im wrong.

My main issue with this drug is not the drug itself but in how blase and reckless Dr's and other 'HT related individuals' are about prescribing or advising people to get on it. People should be made aware of the risks and let make their own choices for sure.

However it is imperative that people should be made get their bloodwork / hormonal data done BEFORE starting this drug. It is essential they have baseline data should things go wrong. Otherwise they are in a medical limbo and dont know what is causing their problems. From my experience and what i can see this just isnt happening.

People are jumping on this stuff like they would asprin. Its an extremley powerful drug in which we dont know what the long term implications are and which needs to be treated with much more care.

Last edited by Bobilero; 10-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
  #100   Top  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:52 PM

As Bobilero says Propecia is a "2EachHisOwn".

With that said we hear about the downsides of taking Propecia, but I think it also needs to be known that there are downsides to not taking Propecia.

This isn't a situation where you just decide to not take propecia and end up with as much hair as the guy taking propecia. You probably wont.

In fact you will probably go bald quicker and possibly be faced with spending thousands more on extra transplants trying to keep up with native hair loss that probably could have been saved longer had Propecia use continued.

Most top doctors advise their patients to take propecia to preserve native hair, but each patient must in the end decide which downside they can live with.

Pro-FUT - Pro-Patient - Pro-Truth !