Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews Share your own hair transplant experiences with others here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Top  
Old 09-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Mentor Real Hair Club Member

looking forward to a new update with pics if possible

many thanks
Richie
  #22   Top  
Old 09-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

18 months! Ahh, and there was me thinking my 8 weeks have gone quick!

Looking forward to seeing your results now, are you happy?

Propecia daily
12.5% minoxidil once daily
5% Kirkland minoxidil foam a few times per week
Avodart once/twice per week

#23   Top  
Old 09-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Follicular Master

Great to see you back mate. I hope you are well.

I know your fine hair was not helping and causing you some concern several months back and you felt you might need a bulk up in certain areas, which is not uncommon with fine hair patients.

How are things now? Has the maturing process helped.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best
S

Dr. Alan Feller, Coalition Member , Dr. William Lindsey, Coalition Member and Dr. Bijan Feriduni, Coalition Member

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.
  #24   Top  
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Celestial Follicle Club Member

very interested in seeing an update.
I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.
  #25   Top  
Old 09-21-2012, 08:06 AM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Default The Grand Reveal

.....or not, as the case may be!

It is now 19 months since my hair transplant (HT) in New York with Dr. Feller, so I have first included a summary of all my thoughts and how the HT has developed since that time. I do have fine hair (individual hair shaft diameter) and this may have worked against me in achieving better results after only one HT. I have never been able to easily style my hair, as it simply doesn't have the thickness (or fullness) to be readily manipulated; it tends to just flop unless a strong hairspray is used. I was thus never going to be one of those guys who has 10 follicular units (FUs) implanted per cm2 (just in case, that is an exaggeration) and soon after appears as a Head & Shoulders model. To that end, I was aware prior to this HT that a second session might be required to alter or thicken the new hairline, some of which would be implanted into areas that were completely bald (viz., the lateral, right temporal and immediate frontal areas). However, since my fine hair was not mentioned to me as being a possible issue with respect to achieving satisfactory cosmetic results by Dr. Feller, I remained hopeful that design and FU placement might be sufficient to create a cosmetic effect of fullness. To a certain extent this has been achieved; in some areas very well, but there are other areas that evidently would have required more FUs to achieve this result.

That said, my HT has made a big difference to my life, in that I have been largely freed from hair and hairstyle anxiety; not completely, however. My hair on the left side can be cut relatively normally (i.e., all the same length on top), but on the right side I need a bit more length above the areas that had previously been bald to mask this as my hair falls forward. My hair at the front is normally flicked up in a relatively natural and if possible, messy way, and held with hairspray. My hairstyle has been like this for some time, but where before I had to almost style the hair forward, across and up to cover the bald areas (and it probably looked terrible), it now looks natural.

After the HT I experienced no shock-loss, as I mentioned in a previous post, and nor did I see any obvious signs of having dislodged any grafts. Having inspected the placement of FUs at my hairlines from temple to temple, it would appear that I have indeed retained the majority if not all of these grafts. I can thus only assume that the same applies to those behind the foremost grafts. Where I had scarred, there were no obvious scars without at least one hair growing from within. Most of the hairs have thickened and grown, but a few at the front (less than 10) remain shorter and thin. The transplanted hairs although now less unruly feel thicker in places than the hair behind (sc., these are thicker hairs taken from the back of the head), particularly in the lateral zones, but less so at the front where some hairs are still kinked, wavy and generally not straight! Despite now having reached the 19th month post transplant, I remain hopeful that these hairs might thicken a bit more (i.e., become more manageable), although with no significant cosmetic benefit.

Now for the photos. Remember, with a HT, the idea is to create an effect of fullness, but not to actually implant the same number of hairs as would naturally exist per cm2 on a full head of hair. Photos can thus be misleading, as the level and direction of light can both enhance or degrade the appearance of a HT; as, indeed, they can a head of hair that is thinning. I have taken numerous photos in low, natural and higher lightening, both close up and from a distance, in an attempt to illustrate this. A further point to note is that I normally wash my hair everyday when I shower in the morning, but had not washed my hair that morning prior to taking these photographs. Since my hair is fine and skin relatively greasy, my hair tends to feel heavy, weighed down and less full each morning prior to washing. This also makes it more difficult to style, as the cosmetic effect of fullness is slightly diminished.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2675.JPG
Views:	0
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	34307   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2660.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	34314   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2736.JPG
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	34315   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2649.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	34316   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	34322  

Name:	IMG_2689.jpg
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	34323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2624.jpg
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	34331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2623.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	34335   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	34340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2721.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	34344  

Name:	IMG_2688.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	34345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	34346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	34347   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2738.jpg
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	34348  

Last edited by Jamind; 09-21-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Update.
  #26   Top  
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM
Follicular Master

Thanks for posting Jamind and glad to hear you feel your HT has benefited you.

Your pics show that you have had some good growth in the completely barren areas transplanted into as you can see from your pre ops to compare. When layering the hair it certainly helps the effect and illusion intended by a HT. Its great to hear you are largely freed from hair style anxiety.
Saying that you could certainly benefit i feel from another pass through the area to help 'bulk' it up and assist the existing platform created. Not uncommon to require a second pass through any stubborn areas especially with finer hair to help add density. I have not heard from you other than here and i do not know your plans or intensions for another session if you want one even, however if i can be of any further help im sure Dr Feller would only be only too happy to talk with you and help move you forward given the opportunity.

You remind me visually of a poster called 'Corvettester' whos results everyone comment on very positively, even after his first session given his starting point. Very similar hairline and pre op situation. I believe he had a second pass and it really helped bulk him up in areas he wanted help with. Despite him being very happy with his first session, he was realistic, as are you and understood the illusion would benefit from a second session.

Hope this helps

Pre ops :

Best
Spex

Dr. Alan Feller, Coalition Member , Dr. William Lindsey, Coalition Member and Dr. Bijan Feriduni, Coalition Member

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Last edited by spex; 09-21-2012 at 12:10 PM.
  #27   Top  
Old 09-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Thanks for the response Spex, as quick as ever.

I think most of you will see that both lateral zones, and my left temple towards the frontal zone look pretty good, but that my right temple looks thin, an effect which extends into the frontal zone. When held down, the front is evidently thin.

I have absolutely no doubt that I would benefit significantly from a second HT. So, as an answer to Spex's question, I am now in the process of considering where and when to have a second HT, to both fill-in the existing hairline, particularly on the right hand side, and bring it slightly further forward from the lateral zones up. Please read my considerations here and post if you can be of any help to me:

Recommended Surgeons (for Second Procedure) - Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients
  #28   Top  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Jamind,

Thanks for yr update was wondering how things turned out for you. You can definately see a big improvent.
But its only my opinion and i can include myself in this group, im yet to see anyone with hairline work that wouldnt benefit from a second pass.
I have coarse wirey hair that adds to the illusion of density but whenever i straighten my hair i lose the illusion. I suppose we all wish we had hair characteristics that where middle of the road so to speak.
However i think its very natural and a good end of round 1.

Best of luck

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014
  #29   Top  
Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the post Irishsailor; I agree with all that you said. Often those men who have great results after a first HT into the frontal areas had a reasonable amount of remaining hair to enhance the effect. In time, without the use of non-medical treatments (the "big three"), those hairs will, of course, cease to exist as a result of MPB. In my case, I had not lost hair anywhere, but the immediate frontal areas, and these were more-or-less completely bald.

I tried to be as objective and honest as I could be in my post; I hope this was clear.