Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Open Hair Loss Topics

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Open Hair Loss Topics Post your own new topic of discussion here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Top  
Old 09-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Mentor Real Hair Club Member

I agree Davis51,u need to be able to see true differences between before and after! Same hair positions,angles,and flash or no flash! That's how u can gauge the actual growth and difference in density! Some clinics do exactly that which is commendable,but some don't expose the weak areas on the post ops but do on the pre! I'm glad this is not just my observation,and others think a true reflection of change requires like for like hair positions and conditions!
  #12   Top  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 AM

I have noticed the same. That little tuft of hair coming forward just over the side of hairline in a "modern" cut. I always wondered how some clinics got away with those post op shots. I like the photos by patients. Much more honest. Just looking through the "photo album" on this site you get some real honest shots taken by patients.
  #13   Top  
Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

I agree. Patients who comb their hair back in various light or conditions (Wet or dry hair etc, way hair is combed/styled) can show the best results. Some clinic posted results even had product in their hair that can enhance a result and some intelligent folks called them out on it. It happens rarely though and I think 100% result transparency is essential. Lighting, camera, everything matters. You should be able to walk in all kinds of lights with a satisfactory result that remains undetectable and does not give signs of thinning (but obviously depending on your density given). Even hair color can enhance a result. So many things can be factored into the equation. It would be nice if a photo and video taking standard is set by all clinics to showcase the result in the best possible manner. Maybe taking like 20 photos of a patient or something preop and updates in the same format same background and so forth. Just like how we have the universal safe zone as the standard, picture taking should have its own standards. This is an outstanding thread.
  #14   Top  
Old 09-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis91 View Post
I hope the moderators of this community also try to maintain a decent standard.
We do all that we can to make sure clinics post compelling, realistic, consistent pre-operative and post-operative images:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ic-photos.html

However, we're always looking for ways to improve and better assist patients, so advice is appreciated!

Also, something I wrote on the subject a while back:

Using a "Comb Over" To Make Hair Transplant Results Thicker? | Hair Loss Q & A

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
  #15   Top  
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Exclamation Multiple Photos/Video of a single patient are crucial for transparency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_HT_Doc View Post
We do all that we can to make sure clinics post compelling, realistic, consistent pre-operative and post-operative images:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ic-photos.html

However, we're always looking for ways to improve and better assist patients, so advice is appreciated!

Also, something I wrote on the subject a while back:

Using a "Comb Over" To Make Hair Transplant Results Thicker? | Hair Loss Q & A
Wow, didnt even come across those threads earlier. Pretty good knowledge so thanks for that. I do think some good photo tips should be revised as well as video tips. Hopefully, clinics then use those tips as forum required standards to take photos. Bright lighting, lower quality pics, photo contrast, etc can really confuse a lot of folks on the forums and especially those that are new to hair restoration. Even having filler in some pics or gels or so forth can confuse a sufferer researching transplantation. The more the photos, the better the analysis.

Based on such differences in photo characteristics by various clinics on the forums, I am starting to feel that it is 100% necessary for folks to see the photos and videos online now as well as see a person that had a restoration to get a feel of how it will be (preferrably the same norwood level or one not too extensive from their own). They can ask a person to comb their hair left or right or back and see how it moves, the angulation, and other very very important details that may not be visible in photos. This should be done before making any decision towards hair restoration. Whether it be strip or fue or smp or anything. This is probably the best approach for those that are new to everything.

I have already met two people whom I don't know in person that have seen it firsthand. I expect they pass on the torch or help others when they get their own procedures done. I promised like 3 other folks including Zenmunk(forum member) in the future to meet but those are the only other folks I will help out for now. I am not being compensated by anyone and doing this on my own time to truly help folks new to hair restoration meet genuine ht patients like myself. You can also tell by my own detail oriented thread how much effort I put into showcasing and I learned a few things in between. It has become a learning process. But I guess some folks have to look around to find and see if someone genuine is willing to meet. That is probably the most invaluable ht result source overall (since results showcased by clinics themselves vary so much). Seeing a person is the best way to help and advise others so they can make the right decisions to save themselves from this debilitating condition. If hairloss wasn't such a serious condition, people wouldn't waste their times on the forums and etc. Regardless of what anyone says, I think all of us have a BDD about our hair and it is time to accept it as that and maybe more and more insurance companies can recognize it as such and pay for it. Some people come on forums claiming it doesnt affect them much but still come to research how to fix it which doesn't make sense. Some people say they are happy only to do more tweaks later on. Some people say some surgeries may leave them greedy for more but have had numerous surgeries as well. In the end, proper showcased results are essential and if they are not available, it is wise to meet genuine patients with similar characteristics and norwood levels.
  #16   Top  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:07 AM

Quote:
it is wise to meet genuine patients with similar characteristics and norwood levels
I very much want to meet some real HT peeps. Anyone passing through Berlin in the near future?
I'm buying the drinks.
M.
  #17   Top  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:22 PM

Thanks for your input Sean!! I agree,there should be a standard set,and met to be able to show comparison photos or videos!!! And you can't beat meeting someone in person and seeing their results first hand!!! I think when we all research results we should question why the pre and post op results have been shown in different formats or different hair exposure scenarios!!! There is obviously a reason for it,and we should commend the clinics that follow the same format pre and post op!! Therefor giving us all a true comparison of what has been achieved!! I recently met a member from here who had had a procedure done several years ago and was good enough to take time out to meet me,even though hairless was no longer a problem for him,and I can tell you his hair was outstanding! Not just no longer looking like he was loosing it but the type of hair you would see on someone and think,I wish I had hair like that!!! No video or photo comparison can give u that type of insight into what can be achieved,but the closer we can get to that,the better!!
  #18   Top  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Magnumpi,thanks for your input,glad you see it the same way!!! Meeting someone defiantly gave me a better prospective on what is possible,which is very,very good results!!! Probably best starting a thread asking if anyone from Berlin is a member on here who is post op,defiantly worth a meet up m8!
  #19   Top  
Old 09-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Hard Core Real Hair Club Member

Hi Hairshoping

Twas me you met!!! Hope you are OK mate!! Watch this space - temple angle tweak coming soon!!!

Beardy!!
  #20   Top  
Old 09-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Haha, how's tricks beardy!!! Thanks again for the meet up mate,big help!!! And good to see such a stellar result!!!! I'll let u know how I get on,got a consultation now with dr feriduni in December in London,so if u decide to on a temple tweak,try and schedule it for january,then you can show me the bright lights of hasslet!!! ( spelt wrongly no doubt) didn't mention your name on here as hadn't asked you if that would be ok,so glad you did!! Just gotta work out how to email a picture now!! No easy task for someone who's a technophobe like my goodself!!! Hope alls good with you mate and I'll keep u posted,and let me know if you do decide on a little tweak!!! And thanks again!!!!!