Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews Share your own hair transplant experiences with others here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 AM
Pat - Publisher of this Community's Avatar
Publisher
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Default Dr. Larry Shapiro’s Lawsuit Against this Patient Based Forum Community

As a valued stakeholder of this patient based community, I'd like to inform you that Dr. Larry Shapiro of Dr. Shapiro’s Hair Institute has filed a lawsuit against this community.

While the vast majority of physicians understand and respect the right of patients to post and express their genuine concerns, some, like Dr. Lawrence Shapiro, attempt to use legal intimidation to have critical comments removed from our patient run discussion forum. While some discussion forums give in to such legal bullying, we never do.

While we are willing to work with good faith physicians who have legitimate concerns, Dr. Larry Shapiro’s attorney initially contacted us and demanded that we remove all references to Dr. Lawrence Shapiro and the Dr. Shapiro’s Hair Institute. We have not and never will give in to such legal intimidation to censor genuine critical comments of any physician, recommended or not.

Those who have been active members of the Hair Transplant Network and its hair restoration discussion forum know that we have fought similar legal attempts to white wash our forum and compromise its integrity until such frivolous lawsuits have been dismissed.

We ask for your support. If you have any information about Dr. Larry Shapiro that may support our defense of patient free speech we encourage you to contact us or exercise your right to free speech and post your thoughts on this topic. Dr. Lawrence Shapiro and his staff are also invited to post on this topic why they are suing this community and demanding that all references to them be deleted without providing any justification to date.

Thanks for all of you that have come on this forum to share the truth to empower others to make wise and life enhancing choices. We are a strong community and we will continue to support each other’s right to freely share the truth.

Note – Dr. Larry Shapiro of Hollywood and Delray Beach Florida has no connection to Dr. Ron and Paul Shapiro in Minnesota who have been recommended with excellent reviews on this community for years.

---------------------------

Lawsuit Update – January of 2014 - Dr. Lawrence Shapiro of Dr. Shapiro’s Hair Institute has voluntarily withdrawn his lawsuit against this community. We made no agreements, compromises, deletions or concessions to arrive at this dismissal.

We thank our physician sponsors for giving us the support needed to vigorously defend our rights to free speech as well of the members of our forum community who have supported our efforts to keep our discussion forum open and uncensored. We also thank our law firm, which specializes in media law and free speech, for doing an excellent job of defending this community once again. Free speech is certainly not free.

However, we remind all members of our forum community that free speech does not give anyone the freedom or legal right to make defamatory statements. All forum members are ultimately morally and legally responsible for the comments they make on this forum.

We look forward to continuing to support the members of this forum in sharing their genuine opinions and experiences regarding any physician, recommended or not.

My Hair Loss Blog

View some of the Leading Hair Transplant Clinics that I have visited.

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.
  #2   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 02:45 AM

I'd imagine the majority of his patients would stand up in court and tell them the truth I've certainly seen a few speak up about their personal nightmare experiences on the Internet.

At the end of the day what is he actually going to complain about in court? The fact that people speak in all different forums on the Internet about their personal experiences and opinions, it's not a website aimed at hurting a specific clinic it's a forum made up of patients from all over the planet who are just giving their own views of all clinics.

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Started losing my hair at 19 in 1999
I've been using propecia and minoxidil over 12 years
Had 5 hair transplants over 11000 grafts by way of strip & fue
  #3   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:14 AM

If he was an honest,ethical surgeon who performed surgery to a consistent high standard, he wouldn't have anything to worry about.

I have seen them also Bonker.

Based on vast research and meeting patients, I travelled to see Dr Feller in New York to get repaired.
  #4   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Hard Core Real Hair Club Member

Maybe a bit off topic, but where does an internet forum get money to fight a lawsuit? I didn't think these communities were run for profit.
  #5   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Mentor Real Hair Club Member

Quote:
some, like Dr. Lawrence Shapiro, attempt to use legal intimidation to have critical comments removed from our patient run discussion forum
I dont have any personal information about Dr. Shapiro but I will help in any way I can to keep this forum an open honest platform. We do need to hear from the people who get less than great results, and of course from the people who who have bad results too. Without real honesty this forum would be useless. Let me know if I can help.
Magnum
  #6   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Follicular Genie

Gobble,

Much like how only the best and brightest students admitted into an Ivy League University pay a tuition to attend, physicians who meet our high standards for recommendation pay a sponsorship fee to support this educational patient based community. To see our high standards for recommendation and how this community is funded, click here. These funds enable us to regularly maintain, enhance and run the most popular and well respected hair restoration community on the web.

It's unfortunate that some physicians (like Dr. Larry Shapiro of Dr. Shapiro's Hair Institute) resort to using legal intimidation in an attempt to prevent people from publicly posting critical comments. It's interesting that these same physicians don't seem to mind when people post positive remarks. Frankly, we'd prefer that Dr. Larry Shapiro join in the debate. However, we will not be legally intimidated and will go the distance to preserve free speech and the first amendment.

Best wishes,

Bill

View our hair loss articles on EZineArticles.com

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Subscribe to our Newsletters | How We Recommend Physicians

-----

To learn about how I restored my hair, view my my hair loss website.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.
  #7   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Pat - Publisher of this Community's Avatar
Publisher

Thanks for the words of support and wisdom. In my experience, ultimately the truth has a way of becoming known online.

I've been impressed over the years by the collective wisdom of this community to come to consensus on the reputation of physicians and the legitimacy or not of claims and criticisms posted on this forum.

As they use to say on the X Files - "the truth is out there" for those who search for it.

Many thanks to this community for sharing generously and authentically.

My Hair Loss Blog

View some of the Leading Hair Transplant Clinics that I have visited.

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.
  #8   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

I have never heard of Dr. Larry Shapiro of Hollywood and Delray Beach Florida.

I agree that any attempt by Dr. Larry Shapiro in Florida to stop or limit patients and people interested in hair transplants from having an open and free discussion would be a very poor reflection on him as a doctor and as an American citizen that believes in our constitution. The internet has allowed patients to come together and discuss doctors and procedures that has resulted in the most educated patients in history. Any doctor afraid of better educated patients would not be a doctor that would gain my trust. If anything this site bends over backwards in asking posters critical of doctors to substantiate their claims with more facts and/or pictures. I would like to call on Dr. Larry Shapiro in Florida to cease all legal intimidations directed at this site and it's community of patients that help each other on a daily basis. If this case were to ever reach a courtroom I would be happy if at all possible at my own expense to travel to the courtroom and vouch on the witness stand as to what an outstanding help this site is for patients interested in hair transplantation.

Last edited by Shampoo; 08-20-2012 at 08:17 PM.
  #9   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 08:20 PM
Honorary Real Hair Club Member

Unhappy What is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill - Managing Publisher View Post
Gobble,

Much like how only the best and brightest students admitted into an Ivy League University pay a tuition to attend, physicians who meet our high standards for recommendation pay a sponsorship fee to support this educational patient based community. To see our high standards for recommendation and how this community is funded, click here. These funds enable us to regularly maintain, enhance and run the most popular and well respected hair restoration community on the web.

It's unfortunate that some physicians (like Dr. Larry Shapiro of Dr. Shapiro's Hair Institute) resort to using legal intimidation in an attempt to prevent people from publicly posting critical comments. It's interesting that these same physicians don't seem to mind when people post positive remarks. Frankly, we'd prefer that Dr. Larry Shapiro join in the debate. However, we will not be legally intimidated and will go the distance to preserve free speech and the first amendment.

Best wishes,

Bill
This forum is all about high standards. That's why the forum has such a selective screening process. The forum definitely seems to go the distance to preserve free speech and the first amendment. Everyone should read what free speech means in depth and it is summed up well in the following posts.

Post #29:
http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ml#post2285301

Post #1:
http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ity-forum.html

It's probably best described in detail there. The community looks to this forum because this forum has a rigorous screening process that deals with doctors with flawless results. If there were numerous flaws in those doctors, I don't think they would be recommended because they would fail that screening.

It would be nice for that doctor with the lawsuit to chime in, but I doubt he or his team would do so due to legalities now. What is he threatening in the suit? Is he trying to silence the whole forum or posts referring to him in particular?

It is truly a heartbreak when things like this happen. I hope it doesn't affect the community in the end. There are some of us that share our results here and I hope it doesn't stop us from doing so.
  #10   Top  
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 PM
New Real Hair Club Member

i have an appointment with Larry Shapiro this Friday, this would be my 1st consult with a HT Dr. i really would like onest feedback. Is he any good, would anyone recommmend him?

I also have an appointment with Dr. Glenn Charles the same day, does anyone have any info on him?

Tags
dr. larry shapiro, dr. larry shapiro hair transplant, dr. lawrence shapiro, dr. shapiro’s hair institute