Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Discuss and share your photos, experiences and results related to the Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) hair transplant procedure, including its advantages, disadvantages and who is an ideal candidate.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Top  
Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Must be Dr. Rahal just recently purchased the robot because 6 months ago, FUE patients like Sean and Sugarhigh had motorized FUE (Safe system) performed on them. It would be really interesting to see any patient of Dr. Rahal who has FUE using ARTAS system and start posting his results in monthly basis. Really Interesting.
2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011
My Hair Treatments:
1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)
2- Nizoral 2% Dandruff Shampoo (Once a week)
3- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)
4- HLCC Re-Stim- Minoxidil 5% + Saw Palmetto 5% (Once a day)
My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ne-repair.html[/SIZE]
  #12   Top  
Old 08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member

I've been researching the ARTAS lately (for an article), and I'm fairly impressed. While it doesn't fully automate the FUE process and putting it in the hands of a neophyte surgeon could be a disaster (as extraction is only one aspect of an entire hair transplant procedure), it has some very unique features and a lot of care went into designing the device.

At the end of the day, it's still just a tool (and true results rely on the physician, not the device he/she uses), but I think it stands out among other automated FUE devices.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
  #13   Top  
Old 08-10-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_HT_Doc View Post
I've been researching the ARTAS lately (for an article), and I'm fairly impressed. While it doesn't fully automate the FUE process and putting it in the hands of a neophyte surgeon could be a disaster (as extraction is only one aspect of an entire hair transplant procedure), it has some very unique features and a lot of care went into designing the device.

At the end of the day, it's still just a tool (and true results rely on the physician, not the device he/she uses), but I think it stands out among other automated FUE devices.
Agreed. It isn't some great equalizer of surgeons, making any doctor who uses it capable of the same results as any other, but it's definitely a nice piece of kit for a clinic to make available as a choice for patients. From what I've read the whole system has undergone a lot of refinement and the latest generation machine is capable of supreme accuracy.

I represent Dr Rahal.
  #14   Top  
Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

My understanding is that the actual puncture tool used in ARTAS is Dr. Harris' motorized SAFE tool, which is well regarded. So that, plus computerized mapping of the donor/extraction sites and computerized precision of puncture angle and depth should make for an excellent FUE system in the right hands.
  #15   Top  
Old 08-10-2012, 08:22 AM

MATTJ, Is Dr. Rahal shifiting from SAFE system to ARTAS system in all of his FUE procedures? Also will his FUE rate will still say the same with using this new system? There are many HTN member and Rahal fans wondering about that!
2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011
My Hair Treatments:
1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)
2- Nizoral 2% Dandruff Shampoo (Once a week)
3- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)
4- HLCC Re-Stim- Minoxidil 5% + Saw Palmetto 5% (Once a day)
My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.co...ne-repair.html[/SIZE]
  #16   Top  
Old 08-10-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARIRI View Post
MATTJ, Is Dr. Rahal shifiting from SAFE system to ARTAS system in all of his FUE procedures? Also will his FUE rate will still say the same with using this new system? There are many HTN member and Rahal fans wondering about that!
Count me among those wondering.
  #17   Top  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:39 AM
Administrator
Follicular Genie

I know that Blake has contacted all of our physicians who are currently using the ARTAS for their expert opinion/input related to the device including their personal view on the advantages and limitations of the machine. Several have already replied with their feedback. I look forward to Dr. Rahal's input as well.

Best wishes,

Bill

View our hair loss articles on EZineArticles.com

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Subscribe to our Newsletters | How We Recommend Physicians

-----

To learn about how I restored my hair, view my my hair loss website.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.
  #18   Top  
Old 08-10-2012, 11:41 AM
Administrator
Follicular Genie

In the below interview, Dr. Jerry Cooley provides his input on the ARTAS.

Dr. Jerry Cooley Acquires and Provides Input on the ARTAS Hair Restoration System for Automating Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)

Best wishes,

Bill

View our hair loss articles on EZineArticles.com

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Subscribe to our Newsletters | How We Recommend Physicians

-----

To learn about how I restored my hair, view my my hair loss website.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.
  #19   Top  
Old 08-11-2012, 09:30 AM

i wonder how big the diameter of the punch is ? i heard 1.4mm then 1.3mm , i wonder if this is outside diameter , and inside diameter ?

regards

ejj
  #20   Top  
Old 08-15-2012, 02:30 PM

Artas Robotic Hair Transplant

Restoration Robotics, a company founded by Dr. Frederick H. Moll, developed the ARTAS System. This completely automated machine is the first robot designed to carry out the scoring aspect of the FUE hair transplant procedure. Once the machine is turned on and initial parameters are set by the physician, and set to start, the machine decides which follicles to score around. It then proceeds from one follicle to the other at preset speeds.
HOW ARTAS WORKS: THE MECHANICS

Cameras, color identification sensors, and 3-D imaging software guide the robotic arm of ARTAS in selecting which follicles to score. To carry out the rest of the FUE process, ARTAS employs:
  • A needle punch mechanism
  • Disposable dermal punches
  • Disposable cartridges
  • A video imaging system
  • A user interface
This double-punch extraction technique requires an outer 16g (1.65mm) punch with cutting capabilities, along with an inner 18g (1.2 mm) punch with a blunt edge.
ARTAS is only approved for use on patients with straight hair that is dark brown or black in color.
The patient is positioned for the robot to punch out the grafts on a donor area of roughly 5 to 10cm at a time. During this time, the patient must remain absolutely still as the head is restrained by straps. After this, the surgeon removes each graft by hand with a pair of forceps. The patient is then repositioned for ARTAS to work on a new section of donor hair. This process continues until the extraction portion of surgery is complete. The implantation of grafts to the bald area is done using a traditional transplant approach.