Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Restoration Questions and Answers

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Restoration Questions and Answers Post a question for other knowledgeable forum members here. Any hair loss sufferers with good advice are also encouraged to respond.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 12:31 AM
Veteran Real Hair Club Member

Default Beard Hair Grafts... better coverage?

Do Beard hair grafts count for "more" than your average scalp hair graft because of the larger diameter/caliber of the hair.

I am just curious because I may want to use some for my crown. I can probably only get another 1000 FUE from scalp unfortunately. I was thinking of turning to beard grafts for further coverage.
  #2   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 10:30 AM
Follicular Salvation Club Member

Bluesteel,

My concern with using body hair is that it grows in different cycles than our normal hair. Im not 100% sure but believe it spends more time time in resting phase so from an illusion point of view you would need alot more grafts to get close to what you would get from the hair on yr scalp.

Plus even though there has been some good results shown, how many clinics are seeing these results week in week out?

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014
  #3   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:18 PM

only Umar has shown lots of solid results... i don't see anyone else doing BHT regularly.
  #4   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:20 PM

any other takers?? anyone knowledgeable about this?
  #5   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 PM

That's the same strategy I want to use for a hair transplant. Use the beard hair and transplant it into crown section. As a result there should be enough donor hair to transplant hair in the frontal and mid zone.
There is another clinic that specializes in this type of hair transplant. Look up Dr Ozgur and Dr Akin from Ankara, Turkey. They have many cases where beard hair is transplanted into the crown.
  #6   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishsailor View Post
Bluesteel,

My concern with using body hair is that it grows in different cycles than our normal hair. Im not 100% sure but believe it spends more time time in resting phase so from an illusion point of view you would need alot more grafts to get close to what you would get from the hair on yr scalp.

Plus even though there has been some good results shown, how many clinics are seeing these results week in week out?
Body hair is really weak. However, my beard hair grows everyday. I have to shave it everyday to get rid of it.
  #7   Top  
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member

From what I've observed, beard hairs are the most natural type of body hair grafts utilized in body hair transplantation (BHT). They are definitely more coarse than scalp hair, and this could, technically, provide more coverage. However, as a few others have mentioned, body hair grafts are simply "different" and should usually only be utilized in repair procedures or instances where the normal donor supply is exhausted. Frankly, I'd investigate traditionally FUE first.

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
  #8   Top  
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM
Guru Real Hair Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel View Post
only Umar has shown lots of solid results... i don't see anyone else doing BHT regularly.
Previously, you mentioned beard hair. Others have postulated that beard hair should be considered head hair. I would tend to agree. Now, beard hair does have a thicker diameter, which is good for some cases. For example, mixing in beard hair with some head hair, body, hair, etc. for a more natural look.

Also, beard hair just keeps growing and growing, pretty much like head hair.

See ya,

Atticus
  #9   Top  
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM
Hard Core Real Hair Club Member

Wouldn't the beard hair grow faster than the other hair on your head?
  #10   Top  
Old 07-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Mentor Real Hair Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobble View Post
Wouldn't the beard hair grow faster than the other hair on your head?
That is an excellent question, and my answer would be yes. It is generally more noticeable in the strip scars when your hair grows out, and as those with strip scars will know, you cannot often cut your hair too close. I've noticed more wiry hair in the back that is longer, and does not lie as flat, as the scalp hair, so I'd say it did grow faster. However, it could possibly be that the hair is just not lying as flat and appears longer. I've also noticed some in the scalp that seem longer than surrounding scalp hair. I've heard that over time growth cycles will mimic those of the surrounding hair.

Over 7500 grafts, including 5500 beard