Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Surgical Hair Restoration > Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Hair Transplant Experiences and Surgeon Reviews Share your own hair transplant experiences with others here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Top  
Old 01-10-2018, 12:07 PM
Bill - Managing Publisher's Avatar
Administrator
Follicular Genie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 18,863
Last Online: Today 11:22 AM
Default

I see that this particular topic has been started to discuss a particular clinic in California and has digressed into a conversation about draft estimates from Dr. Erdogan. So I’ll me to provide my opinion or at least thoughts about both. For starters, I am not familiar with the clinic mentioned above however, to the original poster, we do recommend some outstanding hair restoration physicians in California worth consulting with and considering. They have been prescreened this community and you can find examples of their results posted by both patients and their clinics on this community. So don’t just take our word for it based on recommendations, do your research on this forum and see for yourself.

Regarding Dr. Erdogan, I too have noticed that his graft estimates appear to be on the higher side. However, in my opinion, this is not necessarily wrong or a bad thing. At the end of the day, each physician has their own philosophy as to how to best create the illusion of density. Many doctors will provide a more conservative estimate leaving many grafts available in the donor area for future work if needed. However, others may be more aggressive based on family history of hair loss and decide that it may be highly unlikely for a particular patient to lose much more hair and decide to use more grafts in the interest of providing more density.

While some operate under the “less is more“ philosophy, others represent the “more is more” philosophy. In my opinion, they both make sense under a different set of circumstances. Since I had a decent amount of donor hair, I felt that the “more is more“ philosophy was more appropriate for me. Moreover, I was West concerned about any scarring on the sides and back of my head then I was filling the balding areas and making them as dense as possible.

Anyway, I think it would be nice to hear Dr. Erdogan’s Philosophy on this and why he may typically be on the higher side when it comes to harvesting follicular units.

Best wishes,

Bill
__________________
I am the managing publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and the Hair Loss Forum. I am also a 4 time hair transplant patient. View my patient hair loss website to view my entire hair restoration journey with photos.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.


I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.
Reply With Quote
  #12   Top  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:51 PM
hsrp10's Avatar
Senior Member
Celestial Follicle Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbcruz View Post
Hey hsrp10,

So how someone decides to transport money out of the country when traveling as precaution can effect the result of the procedure ? I’m sure the same guy who decided to travel like that would do it going to any place out of the country as it’s a foreign place and you don’t know what can happen.

I honestly base my selection on results, what method is used to extract the grafts and who does the extractions.

I’m not trying to start anything but I just thought what you said was funny. Now Mexico itself is an iffy place, yes.
Nah what I said wasn't funny at all.
Again my comment has nothing to do whatsoever with Mexican doctors. It was to encourage people to do a little research on the HRN.

I don't recommend going to a place where your personal safety and your hard earned dollars for your transplant may be in jeopardy.
__________________
go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal
HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto
(*indicates actual experience with doctor)
Reply With Quote
  #13   Top  
Old 01-10-2018, 07:57 PM
hsrp10's Avatar
Senior Member
Celestial Follicle Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill - Managing Publisher View Post
Anyway, I think it would be nice to hear Dr. Erdogan’s Philosophy on this and why he may typically be on the higher side when it comes to harvesting follicular units.
Bill, I agree with this 100%!
I had asked directly in the results threads they had posted a few times, and never got a response as to why they always use more grafts than other clinics.

If they could clarify that it would help other patients a great deal (then I wouldn't have to answer and get caught up in this ;-)
That does remain the biggest concern among many prospective ASMED patients based on my research.
__________________
go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal
HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto
(*indicates actual experience with doctor)
Reply With Quote
  #14   Top  
Old 01-10-2018, 09:04 PM
mikeyhwk's Avatar
Senior Member
Mentor Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 638
Last Online: Yesterday 10:19 PM
Default

What makes it more interesting is that Dr Lorenzo and Dr Erdogan both use the coverage value system so they should both be getting similar numbers in terms of necessary grafts but the estimates are still miles apart. I can never get a straight answer on this either. I've heard from a couple patients on what they believe is the reason but the clinics never come out and said why.
Reply With Quote
  #15   Top  
Old 01-11-2018, 01:53 AM
ThickGreenLawn's Avatar
Member
Veteran Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Last Online: 03-06-2018 01:13 PM
Default

As an Asmed patient (review to follow), I would say that Dr. Erdogan places many more grafts than other surgeons in areas that are thinning but not bald. He seems to be able to do this without permanent shock loss to the thinning hair which comes back after a few months. His strategy therfore seems to be to provide transplanted hair to areas that he feels will need hair in the future. This approach suited me as I woud prefer not to have another transplant for quite some time if at all.
Reply With Quote
  #16   Top  
Old 01-11-2018, 04:58 AM
quidproquo82's Avatar
Member
Veteran Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 76
Last Online: 04-09-2018 05:06 AM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsrp10 View Post
I would 100% agree with this man. Any of us who have done the online consults will always get higher graft recommendations from ASMED. I and others came to the conclusion it is something they pad into their pricing setup. The cost per graft is low but their system makes up for it by quoting more grafts..

However their results and countless ones at that speak for themselves, and I put them up their with Konior in difficulty level to find a failed case or really bad review online.
If you want nearly guaranteed results it's hard to beat those two based on my research.
By what percentage does Asmed typically pad their recommended number of grafts? Double what other clinics suggest?
Reply With Quote
  #17   Top  
Old 01-11-2018, 05:13 AM
jjsrader's Avatar
Senior Member
Hard Core Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 150
Last Online: Yesterday 05:56 PM
Default

He uses lateral slits, right? Perhaps he feels like Armani surgeons - that dense packing is his specialty and he's good at it, he has the techs and facilities to do so and naturally he makes more money w/his techs doing 80%+ of the workload.

I would think one would have to ask him in person and even then would he say the same thing to a patient vs his staff?

Not judging - just interested as well. Good thread w/good posters!
Reply With Quote
  #18   Top  
Old 01-11-2018, 06:50 PM
mikeyhwk's Avatar
Senior Member
Mentor Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 638
Last Online: Yesterday 10:19 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickGreenLawn View Post
As an Asmed patient (review to follow), I would say that Dr. Erdogan places many more grafts than other surgeons in areas that are thinning but not bald. He seems to be able to do this without permanent shock loss to the thinning hair which comes back after a few months. His strategy therfore seems to be to provide transplanted hair to areas that he feels will need hair in the future. This approach suited me as I woud prefer not to have another transplant for quite some time if at all.
and this is what I keep hearing from patients, it seems unnecessarily reckless. There is no rhyme or reason as to who will have shock loss and why and it if it will come back or if it won't. If you're going into a minaturized area you're playing with fire, it's like creating demand by causing the problem in the first place. I would hope this isn't what the clinics doing.
Reply With Quote
  #19   Top  
Old 01-12-2018, 02:02 PM
ThickGreenLawn's Avatar
Member
Veteran Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 33
Last Online: 03-06-2018 01:13 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhwk View Post
and this is what I keep hearing from patients, it seems unnecessarily reckless. There is no rhyme or reason as to who will have shock loss and why and it if it will come back or if it won't. If you're going into a minaturized area you're playing with fire, it's like creating demand by causing the problem in the first place. I would hope this isn't what the clinics doing.
Have to disagree with you there. Erdogans methods are justified by the consistently excellent results that are posted by the clinic and by patients across several diffent hair loss forums. If you don't like his approach then fair enough, go to another clinic. As far as having permanent shock loss, yes this can happen but it's considered that any lost hair was on it's way out anyway and the transplanted hair will be in place to replace it. Not that I think this is a problem with ASMED as I haven't seen any of their patients complain about permenent shock loss.
Reply With Quote
  #20   Top  
Old 02-26-2018, 05:15 PM
JeanLDD's Avatar
Senior Member
Mentor Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 522
Last Online: Today 12:01 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhwk View Post
and this is what I keep hearing from patients, it seems unnecessarily reckless. There is no rhyme or reason as to who will have shock loss and why and it if it will come back or if it won't. If you're going into a minaturized area you're playing with fire, it's like creating demand by causing the problem in the first place. I would hope this isn't what the clinics doing.
I had a reasonable amount of grafts into miniaturised areas and it worked out very well, there was no noticeable shockloss even in the short term. I didn't really have a choice because if I was to have a thick hairline and frontal third it wasn't going to work with a thinned out and sick looking forelock.

I disagree its "like playing with fire", his clinic has had the same approach for years and years and I've genuinely never see a single person have an issue with permanent shock loss at ASMED. If you can find one from the hundreds and hundreds of Erdogan results online that include placement into areas of miniaturisation then feel free to share it, but otherwise it just sounds like fearmongering. Plenty of other surgeons work on patients with diffuse pattern hairloss also, there is a 5000ish graft Arocha case on a patient with diffuse and it had nothing but compliments, being a strong result. Of course its more acceptable blame someone breaking the rules when they're a Turk rather than American.

But genuinely, if people are going to make the shock loss argument to a surgeon that has had this approach successfully for so long they better damn well show some evidence using results of the surgeon they're critiquing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
la hair clinic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:17 PM.