Hair Restoration Discussion Forum - By and For Hair Loss Patients
Go Back   Forum By and for Hair Loss Patients > Non Surgical Treatments for Baldness > Future Medical treatments

Welcome! This forum has over 180,000 posts and 12,000 before and after photos going back several years. To research a topic or physician, click on "Search" and enter the name.

You are currently a guest with limited access. By joining our FREE community you can post on this forum, reply privately to other members and or create your own profile, blog and photo album. Registration is easy, private and free so Join Today!

If you have any problems with the registration or login process, please contact us. If you are new please visit our FAQ.

Future Medical treatments Discuss future possible treatments for hair loss like new drugs, gene therapy, hair follicle cloning, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21   Top  
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
David - TakingThePlunge's Avatar
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cape Coral, FL
Posts: 3,654
Last Online: Today 03:19 AM
Default

FinHairLoss,

I've always appreciated your insightful contributions. In particular you are always quick to find and share important and informative press releases regarding new and potentially game changing treatments. But, yes, I stand by my statement that, as of this moment, FUT is the best option for the majority of hair loss sufferers seeking surgical hair restoration. It may not be the best option for all but it is for most.

That may be about to change and, as you say, perhaps this is the procedure that will change it. However, I don't think that we can call it game over at this time. What we need to see is an abundance of unbiased, third-party cases documented. Cases that are presented by patients themselves and that rival the finest FUT results that we've seen over the years.

When I see that I'll be happy to endorse it over FUT and FUE. Until that time, I remain cautiously optimistic and I would encourage others to do so as well. If prospective patients want to jump in and take the chance with it then I have no problem with that as long as they are fully educated and understand the pros and cons and how the procedure compares to others available. I would also hope that they would come here and document their progress so that we can see for ourselves how it works.

I'm also extremely interested in SMP and have considered undergoing it but I have not yet seen satisfactory impartial documentation to justify the cost and the risk.

You have observed that I never fail to come in and voice my admiration for strip surgery. I would agree with that statement since, as I stated, I fully believe it is the best option for now. My observation of you is that you are a little too eager to try out and support new treatments before they are proven. That may amount to only a waste of money if you are talking about Renokin but surgery is another story entirely.
__________________
David (TakingThePlunge)
Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website
Reply With Quote
  #22   Top  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 AM
Bill - Managing Publisher's Avatar
Administrator
Follicular Genie
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 17,235
Last Online: 04-16-2014 09:29 AM
Default

Finhairloss and moopookoo,

This community doesn't reject innovation. In fact, not only do we embrace newer, proven methods, but we've been amongst the first to introduce many innovative techniques to the patient community. But ultimately, Histogen and Dr. Gho's Hair Stem Cell Transplant procedure are still in their infancy stages and have a long way to go before becoming a proven and accepted method.

As someone who's regulary in touch with leading hair transplant surgeons in the industry, trust me when I say that more and more physicians will begin to adopt techniques and treatments that have been proven effective. At this time, while Dr. Gho's research and Histogen have generated a lot of interest in both the physician and patient community, neither have yet to become accepted as proven and effective treatments. In fact, Dr. Gho himself recognizes that more research and experimentation is needed before it can ever possibly reach its full potential.

In the meantime, this community does provide a platform for patient and physician members to discuss any hair loss topic, including new treatments and their future potentials.

Best Regards,

Bill
__________________
Managing Publisher of the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog and the Hair Loss Forum and Social Community

View our hair loss articles on EZineArticles.com

Follow us on Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Subscribe to our Newsletters | How We Recommend Physicians

-----

To learn about how I restored my hair, view my my hair loss website.

Remember, true beauty radiates from within, not from the skin.

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.
Reply With Quote
  #23   Top  
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
Future_HT_Doc's Avatar
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,571
Last Online: Today 03:18 AM
Default

While everyone else has basically described the situation quite eloquently, I wanted to take a minute to reply.

First, and foremost, the accusations that our community dismisses innovative techniques or shuns progress in lieu of "strip surgeon advertising money" is absurd. The reality of the situation is that our community serves as a resource for patients seeking information about hair restoration. Our network evaluates the best, most effective, most proven hair restoration techniques/practitioners and recommends these products and therapies to those seeking results.

Like Bill said earlier, if new techniques are adapted and proven to be the gold standard, we will, without a doubt, evaluate and recommend these therapies on the community. What's more, if these new techniques and therapies did become the standard, the innovative, excellent physicians recommended by our community would adapt them as well. Additionally (and again, like Bill stated before), our community always tries to stay up to date on new techniques, therapies, and medications, and both shares the new news and give patients a place to openly and honestly discuss.

As far as my earlier comments are concerned ... yes, I do think "unlimited donor supply" type procedures are the most promising new techniques being investigating and I personally plan on furthering my own research and understanding of these surgeries. However, at this time, the procedures are just that - experimental and theoretical. Frankly, I'm not certain how anyone could really OBJECTIVELY compare the results from quality FUT/FUE procedures to HST-esque procedures and not come to the same conclusions. Are there various pros to a procedure that can allow for an unlimited donor supply and lack of traditional scarring? Absolutely. However, does that mean that these advantages outweigh blatantly inferior results? In my opinion, no.

As of now, FUE/FUT remain the gold standard. Frankly, I'm very excited to see unlimited donor supply procedures continue expanding and I look forward to a time when these surgeries are standard and a number of our recommended surgeons offer the technique. Until that time, I can honestly say that we will continue offering information about the most effective, proven techniques to date and share exciting new news about experiments procedures.

Finally, I did want to state that I invited Dr. Gho to review the article and share his feelings on both the article I authored and the resulting discussion and have not yet received a reply (though I assume it's simply because he's very busy).
__________________
Blake (Future_HT_Doc)

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
Reply With Quote
  #24   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 AM
moopookoo's Avatar
Member
Veteran Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
Last Online: 09-25-2013 08:24 PM
Default

Thanks HRN team for taking time to respond.
Instead of us arguing back and forth abt hst, fue and gold standards why dont you guys from HRN take time to investigate hst and either prove it or disprove it once for all?

is it hard to pick up the phone and give Gho a call in Amsterdam?
You guys are doing a great job when assessing other docs, do the same with HST and Gho. there are many guys on hs forum who had procedure done and they all seem to be happy, how many patients is needed so it can be considered proof?


One famous doc from Atlanta is going to do just that, this community would be glad if you do the same. It would be money well spent


I just have a feeling that there is no sense of urgency in adopting hst as a new gold standard or else you guys would be somewhere in holland right now but we strill talking abt strip in 2012.
Hst has been around for abt 4 years and nobody bothered to investigate it yet, imagine in 10 years you decide to investigate and realize that gho was right..what abt all those patients that clds have been scar free had you investigated earlier?
Reply With Quote
  #25   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 06:12 AM
moopookoo's Avatar
Member
Veteran Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
Last Online: 09-25-2013 08:24 PM
Default

HS forum has some Gho patiens and more to come, many famous people had it, his clinic is booked out till March next year so I heard..

Besides price per graft is cheapper than fue by 20-50% depending which fue doc you compare it to, hst grafts is around $5-6

It is time to act now, we are all going to be happy no matter what the outcome is going to be, he is either scammer or king
Reply With Quote
  #26   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 AM
aim4hair's Avatar
Senior Member
Guru Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 247
Last Online: 01-22-2014 07:21 PM
Default

I agree with moopookoo on his last comment.

It would be great if the HRN team takes the lead to investigate HST instead of watching it progress and wait until it’s adopted by more doctors in the industry which many people see it coming.

After all, all what hair loss sufferers really need is a real investigation backed with evidence that put an end to this once and for all.
Any by taking the lead you will gain the respect of everybody regardless the result of the investigation.
And after all, I believe if HST was spread and confirmed it will just give another option for patients without replacing any old technique. Because even if HST was confirmed to work, some people would not care about the re-generating or the scar free option and would rather go for high session HTs instead of doing less than 2000 grafts every 9 – 12 months, and some others might still prefer the results of traditional techniques and so on.
So it’s really a win win situation for everybody.
Reply With Quote
  #27   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Future_HT_Doc's Avatar
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,571
Last Online: Today 03:18 AM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopookoo View Post
Thanks HRN team for taking time to respond.
Instead of us arguing back and forth abt hst, fue and gold standards why dont you guys from HRN take time to investigate hst and either prove it or disprove it once for all?
Can you help clarify "investigate" and "prove?"

I spent a great deal of time researching the procedure, writing an article about the subject, having other state-of-the-art hair restoration physicians review the piece and offer their own advice, and I also sent a personal email to Dr. Gho inviting him to review the piece and join the discussion. I suppose I could "pick up the phone and call Amsterdam," but aside from that, I feel like we've made quite an effort to review the procedure.

Furthermore, I'm not sure how we prove or disprove the procedure. Is there evidence supporting the very exciting and promising technique? Of course. Dr. Gho himself authored an excellent article in a respected Dermatology journal and several of the physicians I asked to review the technique commented on the interesting nature and quality of the research. However, in the same sense, the objective post-operative results and overall research behind the technique blatantly does not meet the current standards set by FUE/FUT techniques. If patients are aware of the pros and cons of each technique, then I don't think anyone has a problem with both options. However, I don't think it's possible to take any of this information and "prove" something one way or another. If you have an idea on how to scientifically prove or disprove the procedure, let me know what you were thinking. I'd honestly research it further or take the idea to other individuals with the means to consider the project.


Quote:
Originally Posted by moopookoo View Post
You guys are doing a great job when assessing other docs, do the same with HST and Gho. there are many guys on hs forum who had procedure done and they all seem to be happy, how many patients is needed so it can be considered proof?
Again, we have reviewed HST and the Gho procedure. The results of the research are as follows (in my opinion): the procedure is very exciting and shows some promise, but as of now, the objective post-operative results don't meet the heights met by FUE/FUT procedures. I commend Dr. Gho on his innovation and look forward to watching "unlimited donor supply" procedures grow and improve.

Additionally, we aren't trying to "prove" anything with results (as they can, in many cases, be subjective), but the examples (we've seen) online simply don't compare to the online FUE/FUT results. If you have seen cases that prove otherwise, please send them to me in a private message and I'd be happy to review them. However, I still don't think it will "prove" anything "one way or another," but it will help build credibility either way.


Quote:
Originally Posted by moopookoo View Post
I just have a feeling that there is no sense of urgency in adopting hst as a new gold standard or else you guys would be somewhere in holland right now but we strill talking abt strip in 2012.
Again, if the procedure demonstrated results comparable to that of FUE/FUT procedures, we would be investigating it as the new "gold standard." However, the hair restoration community isn't going to set something as the new standard of excellence simply because it's less invasive. If that was the case, things like low level laser therapy and scalp micropigmentation should have replaced hair transplantation years ago.

The bottom line is that the procedure has it's pros and maybe one day will become the "gold standard," but as of now, the results are simply inferior to FUE/FUT. Is the scarring less? Yes. Is the ability to regenerate the donor area ideal? Absolutely. Does this make up for inferior density and less aesthetically pleasing post-op results? Frankly, no ... it does not; and this is why HST is currently not the gold standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopookoo View Post
Hst has been around for abt 4 years and nobody bothered to investigate it yet, imagine in 10 years you decide to investigate and realize that gho was right..what abt all those patients that clds have been scar free had you investigated earlier?
Again, how are we not investigating the procedure? Just because our investigation didn't reach the same conclusion as others would like doesn't mean that we're ignoring or haven't researched HST. What's more, we're really not telling any individual to have one procedure over another. In fact, I feel as if I've been very fair in discussing the potential pros of the HST procedure. However, in that same sense, I still can't honestly say that it's better for patients. What I can say is that we've investigated the claims, posted a logical conclusion, and created appropriate mediums for individuals to read what we have to say and choose accordingly. I don't see how this can be interpreted as anything besides fair.
__________________
Blake (Future_HT_Doc)

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
Reply With Quote
  #28   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Future_HT_Doc's Avatar
Forum Co-Moderator
Celestial Follicle Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,571
Last Online: Today 03:18 AM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopookoo View Post
many famous people had it, his clinic is booked out till March next year so I heard..
Again, this isn't evidence of quality. The Jonas Brothers are famous and sell out stadiums, but this doesn't mean we should let them replace the Beatles


Quote:
Originally Posted by moopookoo View Post
It is time to act now, we are all going to be happy no matter what the outcome is going to be, he is either scammer or king
All we ask is that hair loss sufferers conduct thorough research and pick the best procedure for their needs. However, all I can say as for now is that based upon my personal research, I think unlimited donor supply procedures are promising and will one day likely be great, but currently do not match the standards set by FUE/FUT. In the end, this should be a big factor for any individual considering spending a significant amount of time, resources, and effort on one operation.
__________________
Blake (Future_HT_Doc)

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.
Reply With Quote
  #29   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 05:05 PM
moopookoo's Avatar
Member
Veteran Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
Last Online: 09-25-2013 08:24 PM
Default

I dont know where you get that hst results are not on par with fue or fut results, if you compare 1500 hst to 1500 fut/fue then you will se tht there is nothing between them. You cant compare 10-15000 fue session to 2000 hst, compare apples to apples.

Have a look at this scissor boy, his results look amazing for the number of grafts, are you saying Umar or any other doc would deliver better res with that amount of grafts?
http://www.h*irsite.com/hair-loss/bo...casc-DESC.html

Replace * with a


http://www.scissorboy.com/video/index/122/-1/all/40




I guess we just have to wait for doc from Atlanta to deliver his verdict on hst.
I believe if he gives it tick of approval it hst will go viral, scarless and 80% regeneration, many fut fue clinics will suffer as a result unless they convert and take time to learn hst.
Reply With Quote
  #30   Top  
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM
aim4hair's Avatar
Senior Member
Guru Real Hair Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 247
Last Online: 01-22-2014 07:21 PM
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future_HT_Doc View Post
Can you help clarify "investigate" and "prove?"

Furthermore, I'm not sure how we prove or disprove the procedure. Is there evidence supporting the very exciting and promising technique? Of course. Dr. Gho himself authored an excellent article in a respected Dermatology journal and several of the physicians I asked to review the technique commented on the interesting nature and quality of the research. However, in the same sense, the objective post-operative results and overall research behind the technique blatantly does not meet the current standards set by FUE/FUT techniques. If patients are aware of the pros and cons of each technique, then I don't think anyone has a problem with both options. However, I don't think it's possible to take any of this information and "prove" something one way or another. If you have an idea on how to scientifically prove or disprove the procedure, let me know what you were thinking. I'd honestly research it further or take the idea to other individuals with the means to consider the project. .
Thanks again for your effort Blake!

In scissor boy's 4 month post op video which he posted in his facebook page:
Jul 17, 2011 1:15pm | Facebook

He wrote a comment and i quote:
"I am willing to have my donor area shaved so the area can be inspected but if I do I want to have 2 independent and unbiased qualified doctors/labs to do the inspection.Some other people have been talking about setting this up butI haven't heard anything back from them yet."

Maybe you guys can get in touch with him and make some arrangements.

Furthermore, there are many guys on diffrent forums (HS) who are scheduled to go through HST and planning to document their case, and im sure if there is a real intention to investigate, some of them might be welling to have their donor inspected prior and post HST.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.

 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0